Roku 2 (2013) Streaming Media Player

I’ve been considering a Roku for quite some time. Want nothing more than to dump Time Warner. My biggest issue is sports. I’m not a huge sports fan, but I can’t go without my Mets (embarrassing as it is to admit that). From what I understand, you cannot watch home games with MLB TV. Correct? Any way to watch live baseball with Roku?

I’ve purchased new and refurbished Rok’s on woot and must say that I will absolutely never by a refurb again. The two refurbished models freeze constantly and feel ill equipped to handle the media that they are attempting to play. My original Rok from a few years ago performs better than this same model that I picked up about a month or two ago on woot. I would spend the extra $20-$40 for a new model, and go with the 3.

I have also experienced connectivity issues, but my biggest problem is definitely the performance.

I bought two of these last go around…no issues so far. One looked to be brand new; still in the wrapper.

I’ve found that it helps to keep the rouku on top of the tv cabinet. That’ll not only helps with air flow (they can get warm) it helps with wireless.

Tip: Use the remote app on your phone when setting it up. Once you get the Roku connected to your network, link the remote app to the player. You’ll then be able to use the keyboard on the phone to link your e-mail and password to your existing accounts: Netflix, Amazon ect. Much easier than the on screen keyboard.

I love my Roku 3 but it’s very different than the Roku 2.

do you have to pay a monthly fee for this? can you just watch anything you want like shows you normally have to pay a cable bill? thanks new to this

You don’t have to pay for cable television, but these units require internet access. Instead of paying to subscribe to cable television, most of the useful apps require you to pay a monthly fee (i.e. Netflix, Hulu) or a per use fee (Amazon).

Sometimes the stars align. The baby just destroyed my Roku remote, so I’ve been looking at buying a replacement. At this price, I’m picking it up. Who knows if i’ll connect the box or just use the remote.
My Roku is connected by wifi. I’ve had it a couple years now (the phone co. gave it to me for free for upgrading my internet). Anyway, never any issues with it freezing, etc. I think I’ve had to restart it 2 times in a couple years. I’m hopeful this version works as well.

I bought two of these about a year ago from Woot: one for me, and one for my mom. Neither of us has had any issues. I love it, and finally completely cut the cord and canceled my directtv the other day.

Do you have an Android or iPhone? The Roku app on either phone acts like a remote, so that would get you through in a pinch as well.

Will this stream movies stored on computer hard drive to TV?

I use the Plex app (plex.tv) to stream videos from my hard drives to the TV via Roku.

Just curious- how can you get HboGo without cable? I would love to!

If you have a smartphone, try the roku app which has remote control over wifi

Not with the Roku specifically, but you can (and I’ve done this because I didn’t have cable for a while, just Roku), get a cable to plug into your computer (easiest with laptop or tablet if you have one) and use your TV as a monitor. I’m not sure what kind of ports your TV has, but it could be as simple as a VGA cable. I have also used an AV to 40-pin iPhone cable and streamed from my phone to an older TV in a pinch.

$37.99 + $5 + tax - $10 (with the Amazonlocal coupon).

It’s a streamer - it streams video from several sources.

I got he Roku3 actually - they deliver the same more or less

There’s a free app in Roku to do this, if they are in the correct format. If they are not in the few formats for this app (or a few others) you will need to setup a plex server on your network and make those files available to the server. The server is just a piece of software you can run standalone on a machine, or fire it up on your main machine when you need it. It will run in the background.

Yes. There is a channel called Roku media channel (or player). You just need to make sure your videos are in a folder that’s shared to your network and your network supports DLNA. It does not stream AVI, but works flawlessly with modern formats.

Here’s the channel… Roku Media Player | Roku Guide

What are the differences between this and Roku 3?

For those having connection issues or initial setup issues, this helped me a great deal for wireless on my Roku 3…

Platform Secret Screen

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

Choose “Disable network pings”
Choose “Back”
Try your network connection again

Also, a question…Does the Roku 2 have the same interface as the Roku 3? I have 2 older model Roku’s that did not receive the updated interface and the 3 has spoiled me for those two. It may be time for me to upgrade on of them to this item.