Roku 2 XD Streaming Media Player

I am going to bite. It took me some time but the selling point for me is I can install the Amazon Cloud app. I stream a lot of music from my library. I could not find if it was compatible but then read this on Amazon’s page:

Registering Your Roku with Cloud Player

To use Amazon Cloud Player on your Roku, install the Cloud Player channel from the Roku Channel Store, then register it to your Amazon.com account using the 5-character code from your Roku player.

Compatible Roku Players

Roku 2 HD
Roku 2 XD
Roku 2 XS
Roku LT
Roku Streaming Stick

If your PC is near your computer, you mean. Wait, you have a laptop, too? Me, too! I usually use it while watching Netflix, so that’s not really a viable alternative, either.

I use my Xbox or PS3, but this is nice for a second TV.

I was considering this but then I just bought a $2 HDMI cable from Amazon and combined it with this Woot. Works out to be about $3 cheaper… every penny counts :wink:

Here is a great comparison of the gen 1 - Roku 2 units: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/roku-2-xd/4505-6739_7-34850103.html

The newer unit that replaced the XD model: Roku 2 (2720R) is IDENTICAL except for the remote and SD slot. The new model’s remote is wifi driven rather than bluetooth or infrared and gets a headphone jack. The new version REMOVED the SD Slot and replaced it with analog terminals…

All things considered I would have definitely sprung for this one had I not bought the 2720R already.

There are several ways to do this, depending on exactly what you want to do, all of which involve installing an app (or “channel”) on the Roku.

• The Roku USB Media Player Channel can access a limited number of file formats via the USB port on a Roku. Not recommended for this Woot because this model has no USB port and I do not believe the microSD slot on this model can serve as a drive from which to play content. If you did have a compatible Roku, you could attach multiple drives using a USB hub.
  • Plex offers a pretty slick setup that can play many, but not all, file formats. Plex is based on / derived from X-Box Media Center. This can also be used to stream your content to other devices, PCs, etc.
  • Media Browser 3 is very similar to Plex, and there are a few pros and cons depending on which you use and what exactly you want out of your player. (This also streams to other clients besides Roku.)

The down side is that, to the best of my knowledge, DVD image files (.iso and similar) cannot be played reliably by any of these three (or any other) app, although maybe there is an app I haven’t heard of that does it. And by “app” I mean “Roku channel.”

So you’d have to rip all your images to .mkv or some other format beforehand (making the upkeep on a large library problematic, potentially). Media Browser will attempt to play them, but support is “experimental” and I’ve found that, because there is no support for DVD menus, it seems to sometimes like to just play the menu portion of a DVD .iso on repeat forever (or at least, long enough for me to assume it will never find its way to the main title).

But besides issues with file formats, one of these solutions would probably do the trick.

Plex is absolutely wonderful. I recommend Plex

You can use Plex.

The power consumption on a Roku 2 ( <2 watts) is miniscule in comparison to an Xbox, PS3, or HTPC (80 - 170 watts or so). So it’s great for marathon sessions or background TV and would save money in the long run

HA!

__i
|—|
|[]|
|:::expressionless:
|:::expressionless:
\ \
_=
\

Does this work with 5GHz 802.11n?

As a Roku alternative, for those who can handle Android, compare the features of Matricom G-Box MX2. Like Roku it has HDMI, remote, Netflix and Hulu. However, instead of the limited proprietary apps, the MX2 has Android 4.2 for hundreds of thousands of apps & games, 4 USB slots, SD, 8GB, dual core, WiFi, and YouTube (missing in Roku). It features XBMC to display your media, with 100’s of plug-ins that freely accesses more than you can imagine. With a mouse & keyboard, your TV becomes a PC. The MX2 may very well be what you’d want your Roku to become.

If I have a roku channel subscription will it work on two units on the same wifi on two different tv’s?

Yes.
I have three Woot refurbs from a couple of years ago connected to two TVs and a projector and they all work even at the same time.

Silly Woot, why couldn’t you have this offer on Saturday when we dropped $70 for one on a whim at Target?

It was crazy easy to setup. Plugged in with HDMI, enter WiFi password, create account, done. We have Fios and the quality is fantastic. We’re renting an older townhome and when Fios was wired for some reason they didn’t wire any of the upstairs bedrooms. I’m able to watch tv, movies, etc upstairs while my husband is watching something downstairs on the Fios box, connected to the internet working. No lag, no drops, it’s fantastic!

Picked up 2 more as after using it for a few days we decided to drop cable to save us $100/month (even after upgrading our internet).

Will this work without a cable box? I do not have digital cable.

Any further comments on Roku 2 Vs Roku 3?

Can anyone definitively confirm that this Roku streams Netflix WITH closed captioning? The last Roku I bought was supposed to stream it with CC, but does not. Boo, hiss!

This is a good price for a really great streaming player. If you don’t have a Roku, pick this one up, don’t hesitate. We’ve had our Roku2 for about a year now and love it. Getting one for the mom-in-law. It’s so simple to use, I shouldn’t be getting any tech calls. It really is as easy as, plug it in and setup a Roku account.

Take the one back to Target, they have a generous return policy, and pick this up. You’ll save some moolah to use for your Netflix subscription.

You don’t need cable, all you need is high-speed internet.