Roku 2 XD Streaming Media Player

I have both. I much prefer my Roku units. The chromecast has been flaky at best. I also don’t like using my phone for a remote which is a big negative to me for the Chromecast. It’s all about tactile feedback, I don’t want to turn on my phone, unlock phone, launch app, press pause. When I could just press pause on a remote.

For flipping through shows, I still gotta go with the Roku. My wife and I sit down to watch something, I don’t want us crowding around a cell phone screen to pick something to watch. A lot easier for everyone to see up on the TV, including my son who likes to point at his kids shows to watch.

The chromecast has youtube, that’s about all it has going for it IMO. I guess you can “cast” a browser window from your laptop, but I don’t think I’ve ever needed that functionality.

When the Chromecast was basically $11 after Netflix discount, it was well worth it. Now, not so much. I probably wouldn’t buy a second one.

Oh wait - this is the XD model, which is not on the main Roku page, now I get it.

http://support.roku.com/entries/20345913-Product-Comparison-All-Roku-Player-Models

The SD Card slot is useless anyway. It’s only for game storage really.

If you’re buying a roku at least get the Roku 2 XS or Roku 3 and use an ethernet cable to connect it to your router so you’ll get a faster connection and less buffering time.

I did check before writing that. Still no TCM. I did an A/B with Mary Poppins on cable and the app, and the cable feed looked better.

And it’s still live. I can’t record stuff and watch it later. There are a lot of shows on-demand, but not the ones I watch.

But it is better than nothing.

They renamed the whole line, which is very confusing. The second generation was Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 XS, etc.

The current line is the third generation, but they decided to name them Roku 1, Roku 2, and Roku 3. Think of the current Roku 2 as the Roku 3 model 2.

Yes! There is an Roku App that streams pictures, video and music.

Don’t forget there are lots of “private channels” which simply means they aren’t in the public channel is and you just have to know the specific code to use them.

I use the unofficial justin.tv channel all of the time. They must have recently changed their streams too so now they are much better quality.