Roku 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes

Roku 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes
Price: $54.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard* or $9 Two-Day or *$12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
[Google Products](Roku - Google Shopping 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes) - [Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Roku 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes) - [Previous Woot Sales](Google 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes)

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/205d4d93-31fe-48a9-b071-95f89487e2c9.jpg

Roku 3100AB-B 2 XS Angry Bird B-stock w/extra remote
Price: $54.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Dec 16 to Tuesday, Dec 17)
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Roku 2 XS Angry Birds Edition w/2 Remotes) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Roku 3100AB-B 2 XS Angry Bird B-stock w/extra remote) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Roku - Google Shopping 3100AB-B 2 XS Angry Bird B-stock w/extra remote)

I had this but some weird looking green pigs stole my remotes…

Compare other models at Roku
Check out some reviews over at Amazon

Solid reviews (4 out of 5 eggs) over at newegg.com

and

Let’s watch this review of Angry Birds on Roku 2 XS[youtube=Rghil_yZ0YE][/youtube]

No DLNA, no NAS connectivity, no thanks…

Phew, almost bought one… I think I can speak for everyone when I say that I was waiting for admrgd to weigh in on to buy or not. :wink:

I agree. Man he just saved me like 50 bucks. Lifesaver.

Ugh. Just got Rokus as Christmas presents from the Mothership. This is yucky timing, Woot. My minions would have liked this more than the standard black ones they are gonna find under the tree. :frowning:

Great deal for anyone who did not get in on the new-in-box units a couple weeks ago. Note that that extra remote is $25 on Roku.com and just might save your marriage.

There are a LOT of Roku models. This table summarizes the features of the current models plus the Roku 2 XS…

http://rokufordummies.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/r3vsr2xs1.png

Notice the Roku 2 XS has wired plus wireless ethernet, composite out, usb, and a motion controller for games.

This is the very best Roku model. While the Roku 3′s processor improves response over previous models, I did not think this was a problem. R3 has a remote with an earphone plug, but I do not know why anyone would want that. If you are going to use headphones, you probably want to stream more than your Roku, right? The R3 removed composite connectivity. I’m very unhappy about this because I use the analog audio outs as audio input to my HTIB which allows me to listen to Pandora, Spotify, and other audio channels without running my 50″ plasma tv. With the extra controller, and $35 less than the Roku 3, this is a no brainer!

If you have an antenna, the Simple DVR that has been Wooted a lot lately can stream live content to your television. This can be good if…

1. there is no coax near the tv
  2. you like to pause/rewind tv

That same Simple device is a whole house DVR, so you can capture programs and view them throughout your home. You can also view this live and recorded programming when you are away from home.

If you have TVs that are not smart or attached to a PS3, the Rokus are an inexpensive alternative.

If you do not have an antenna and do not want to pay for cable, you can subscribe to Aereo and stream that through your Roku.

There is some compelling content available which may not be available on your PC or for your smart TV. Some is available via Roku channels and more is available using supplementary programs like Plex and Playon…

ADC: Free movie channel
Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way
CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information
Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix
CS50: Harvard Intor to Computer Science course
Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise
CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel
CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information
FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’
Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs
Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures
Netflix
Nowhere TV
OVGuide: Free movie channel
Plex: Stream files to your Roku via a Plex Server; lots of supported and unsupported channels too
Popcornflix
Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life
PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies
Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery channel
TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech
WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage
MyVideoBuzz: MyVideoBuzz is a YouTube channel for the Roku that has been banned. You can sideload MyVideoBuzz.
Playon

The Playon channel has some fun stuff…

Food Network: Episodes and clips
History Channel: Episodes and clips
Hulu: Free TV and movies
VH1: Music Videos

Plex adds more…

ABC: Episodes of current ABC shows
ABC Family: Episodes of current ABC Family shows
Academic Earth: Online classes from top universities
Amazon Instant Video: Movies and tv episodes (Prime, Pay-Per-View, and Purchase)
CBS: Episodes of current CBS shows plus classics
CBS Sports: Sports news and converage
Charlie Rose: One-on-one interviews with persons of interest
CNET TV: Tech news and stories
CNN: Cable News Network
Comedy Central: Comedy entertainment
Crackle: Sony movie channel
Daily Kos TV: Political news video blog
Dailymotion: Music videos, short movies, tv shows, funny and extreme videos
ESPN 3: Sports programming (requires TV provider subscription)
Food Network: Food Network episodes
Fox News: Clips from Fox News’ programs
HGTV: Home and Garden Television
History Channel: History Channel episodes
Khan Academy: Free world-class education for anyone anywhere
MSNBC: Clips from MSNBC programs
MTV: Music videos
NBC: Episodes of current NBC shows
Netflix: Subscription movies and tv episodes
Nick Jr: Nick Jr. episodes
NPR: National Public Radio
Pandora: Music
PBS: PBS episides
PBS Kids: PBS Kids episodes
Revision3: Original programming
Spike: Spike.com episodes
TED Talks: Nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading
The Colbert Report: Colbert Report episodes
The CW: The CW episodes
The Daily Show: Daily Show episodes
The WB: WB episodes
USA Network: USA Network episodes
Vevo: Music videos
Vimeo: Videos
YouTube: Cats and stuff

You need a server for Plex and Playon. I like Nowhere USB for playing media attached to the usb port.

PS if you do not know what a Roku is, look here: http://rokufordummies.wordpress.com

I bought one of these for my parents a few months back.

I had put off getting their tv hooked up for netflix for nearly a year because their wireless router and internet was such a pain in the butt to deal with.

However, the Roku 2 was one of the easiest things I have ever setup for them. It worked right away and I had netflix working in less than 5 minutes.

They’re in their 60s and aren’t the greatest with technology, but they were able to figure out the interface fairly quickly. Its well designed and I really don’t have any complaints.

Can this be used on an older model tv that is not HDTV?

Thanks to wizwor for quite possibly the best review on Woot I have ever seen.

Yes, if your TV has composite (yellow RCA connector) input.

The remotes are Bluetooth, so you can hide the unit behind something if you don’t want to see this red box sitting by your TV.

Thanks. Because of you and Wizwor I am in on this :slight_smile:

As someone that doesn’t do much in the way of TV watching, and has never had a ROKU before, I am struggling to understand whether or not you can stream content from a computer that is part of your home network. If so, can the ROKU ‘talk’ to the computer allowing the remote to be used to control VLC/MMP etc. (an app maybe) or is it simply an ON/OFF type relationship?
I have several computers scattered throughout the house all networked, and they each have different content that I might want to port to the projector… (travel videos and pics from recent trips on my computer, student projects/power points etc. on my wife’s, content on equipment brought by guests etc…)

I actually would have this connected thru the home theater to a projector. In short… could I stream content from any computer on my network to the ROKU or is that not an option?
Thanks for any clarification you can shed on this matter. (I think I want to like this product but I am not sure if it is really what I am looking for…)

The short answer is that you can stream media from a PC to a Roku. You need a server to help out with that. I like Plex for that purpose. Exactly how well this works depends on how your files are encoded, how capable your server is of transcoding, and how well your network can stream the content.

Personally, I prefer to put the files on a usb disk, plug that directly into the Roku, and play them using the Nowhere USB channel. In that case, you have to be careful to encode the files properly.