Roku 3 Streaming Media Player

I’ve been using the Roku 3 from Woot for a couple of months. It works fine and enjoy it a lot.

is it possible to use a visa disposable gift card to make the purchase and if so how do i do that

Horrible channel and does not support a NAS.

I love my Roku 3! I use it mainly to stream from my Amazon Prime account, but there are many other interesting channels and some are free. I did a streaming device comparison between Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, and Roku and Roku has the greatest variety and choice of channels. Make sure you know which streaming channel you use most because none of the devices stream from all of them. The earbuds are great when you want to watch something while someone else wants to read, sleep, etc. That is why I bought a second one for my bedroom TV. Just didn’t want to move the Roku back and forth.

Not true and still does not support a NAS.

I bought one of these reconditioned Roku 3 units the last time they were available and LOVE it. I highly recommend that if you’re on the fence, you go ahead and jump.

Love my Roku. Easy to set up, and I’m a technophobe. If you have Amazon Prime or Netflix, installing this is a no-brainer.

Bought one about five months ago…was also refurbished (I guess, that how it was described, anyway), but not factory refurbished…very scratched up, almost looked beat up. I guess the idea of refurbished for some means wiping it down with a damp cloth. Has worked fine, though, so no real complaints. Although, if I were to do it over again, I would have just bought a new one.

I have always kept the movies for plex on a nas and now my drobo (others support it as well) runs the plex server while my movies are still on my other nas.

Unless you have a non-hdmi tv Roku 3 all the way. Would buy a PC that was 5x slower than one only 20 dollars more, no way. Have 3 and have given all my older Rokus to friends.

Add on another lover of Roku. I’ve mentioned this before, but since it’s on sale again…

I purchased a (new) Roku 3 about 2 years ago just before I had some neck sugery done. I needed a way to make my tv ‘smart’. I was laid up for about 6 weeks and this really helped pass the time. Between Amazon, Netflix and Comcast onDemand (via my cable box, obs) I suffered just a little less – which was a blessing.

Highly recommend for anyone that does not already have a smart TV.

Is anyone using this with a 720p tv? my roku2 recently stopped outputting to my 720p tv via hdmi, I had to switch to the AV ports. Reading online it seems to be a common problem and I haven’t found a solution. Get audio but only pink screen video. I’m woried about getting an hdmi only roku and finding it doesn’t work.

I have been using the Roku 3 that I bought from Woot for several months now with Netflix and Plex being my two most used channels. I can stream from my NAS via my Plex server just fine, so you might have had some configuration problems I suppose.

I love the Netflix integration on the Roku 3! The support for multiple profiles is excellent!

Woot emailed me and ask for a review. So here’s one I did a few months ago:

[youtube=pd5Ne0kFAuw][/youtube]

It’s great and it plays Blu Ray MKVs perfectly. Quite happy with it.

It does support a NAS, I detailed it in my video review here:

You have to load in a custom channel for DLNA support but it works great. Anything it can’t play through its app I run through Plex.

Honestly, it depends on what you want the NAS to do with Plex. (I also own and love my Roku 3)

If you want the NAS to just store the media, your limitation is the INTRAnet speed of getting the data from the NAS to the computer running the Plex server.

If you want the NAS to do everything, including transcoding, that’s going to depend upon the NAS. Some just don’t have the horsepower to transcode videos.

You may want to check out Plex’s pages (probably starting here) to see which NAS’s can handle transcoding videos.

Sorry but your posts are just not accurate. The roku channel supports dlna and plays most formats (no avi). Plex also works with a nass through the Roku. That’s a fact. Your issue does not lie with the Roku.

A big improvement in speed from the Roku HD. Screen response is much faster. No bugs or issues so far.

I love the Roku 3! I’ve used quite a few media streaming devices and this is by far the easiest to setup and use. The wireless connection doesn’t drop every 10 minutes (like my WD Live TV hub). In fact most people assume it is directly connected to my router. Plex is a must if you want to stream media from your home network. Plex does cost a montly or yearly fee… but it isn’t outrageous and if you have a lot of media on your network it is well worth it. Plex also allows you to view your content from pretty much anywhere via web. I highly reccommend both the Roku 3 and Plex.

“Coupon not available at this time”…at least that is what happens when I try to use it. Anyone else have luck with it?

+1 For Roku 3. I used an old laptop for streaming to the TV for years. When it died, I bought a Roku 3.

My old TV doesn’t have HDMI but I bought a $10 HDMI to VGA converter and it works fine. The converter also has audio out and that is plugged into the home theater system.

I use it on wifi and have no issues. 95% of the time I’m using it with Netflix.

There is a free app that allows you to use your phone or tablet as a remote control and that allows you to use the keyboard, instead of the Roku remote, to type text. It’s a great time saver.