Roku XD 1080p Streaming Player

If I had an HDTV I’d consider upgrading from my old Roku HD (model N1100), acquired for $60 a couple years ago. (In point of fact, my very first woot! ::tear of nostalgia::slight_smile: But mine does 720p, and I don’t think I’ll care all that much about the picture to need 1080p unless, like, I actually get a 40" HDTV or something.

If I didn’t have any Roku, I’d be on this like a facehugger on crewman Kane.

I was wondering if the remote is IR or RF. I would like to just attach it to the back of the TV to keep the clean look.

I have this exact one, and the only problem I’ve ever had is that it’s occasionally slow to respond to the remote. A reboot has fixed the problem each of the 3 times it’s happened over the last 5 months.

Otherwise, this thing is the cat’s pajamas.

/do wish there was a YouTube channel tho.

Thanks for the details, phenyx!!

Also… Ooooo I love purple! What is this button marked ɹǝʍod for? :slight_smile:

-=C=-

been really pleased with Roku … easy to use the channel store and very intuitive for a shortcut vs going thru my Tivo for things like Amazon VOD, pandora, etc.

You mean the “Do not remove under penalty of law” tag? Just kidding. It’s their “thing” they put on their boxes and remotes. Cloth. Never tried to remove it.

So how does this compare to the IOGear kit over on Sellout.Woot: Best bargains, last chance deals, & more on the JustDeals site?

They look comparable, so which is better?

A nice selection of useful channels for your shiny new toy is over at Nowhere TV.

Also, some YouTube channel info. I put the old YouTube channel on my Roku when I first got it, and it still works, but I don’t know why. I’m just grateful, because I had no idea it went away.

The remote is IR. I was able to pick one of these up during the last woot-off.

Great product. My only issue was a dead remote after about a week. Roku sent me a replacement no problem though!

I got one of these in a previous WOOT! and love it. One good thing about this older model is that it has an Ethernet port. Wireless signal in my home basically stinks, but I was able to attach an Ethernet cable and haven’t looked back since. Dead easy to set up, too!

Thanks TT!

I couldn’t tell the ‘softness’ of the tags from the picture - they looked like they could have been hard plastic tags. I like the idea of a fabric tag, I love purple, and I think it would be funny if they had washing symbols on them (do not wash, do not tumble dry, do not iron).

-=C=-

This is for people interested in closed captions. I bought this Roku at Wal-Mart last fall and tried it on a new Vizio TV. It installed easily (provided you know the password to your router.) It pulls in Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, TED, and a great number of other video services beautifully.

However, I took it back for a refund. Most of these services do not provide closed captions, which is a prerequisite for me. Very few CC programs were available, mostly TED. It does not stream ABC, NBC or CBS TV series episodes at all, which have captions.

It depends on the source whether or not you can get captions, and is not the fault of the Roku device. At this time the availability of streaming CC isn’t worth buying the Roku.

The box may be 1080p but this can be misleading if you’re primarily planning on using this as a Netflix device. The older generation one boxes (not Roku 2) don’t get 1080p output from the Netflix channel - and Amazon doesn’t support 1080p either. Found this out the hard way on my XDS.

Can you program the Roku remote to turn off your tv or do you have to use two remotes?

Im telling you, buy this. I own one and it is the best thing ever. Get the channel Playon (google it). Then add the plugin tvlinks. (Google it).
With tvlinks, you can cancel your cable tv because you can watch any episode of any tv show ever. Like movies? Take your pick. There are so many channels that arent even listed. The sky is the limit. Trust me. I havent slept since i got mine. Ok thats all for now. Back to watching tv.

The Roku remote is very simple and dedicated. It’s really more like a mouse to maneuver the selections and menus.

Bought one last time it was up here. It’s great but has plenty of issues. I would recommend going with a newer model. The USB channel interface is horrible. Don’t buy it if that’s what your looking for. Hulu plus freezes and right now the netflix app is down.

Roku is the best little streaming box out there. Wish this had come up last week before I ordered my 2nd XS model from Amazon for $89!

Highly recommend!

I love my roku!! No cable bill. Just Hulu plus for $8 a month. But there are lots of free channels too and live news and u can watch CNN reports from the night before or independent movies or etc etc. but with Hulu plus I follow lots of tv shows. This roku remote is better than the other one I have. Think of roku as ur TiVo but with some commercials and no planning required and I limited memory!!

mmm would this work anywhere in the world as long as i’ve an internet connection?

or would it trace where i’m tapping the signal from?