Roku XD 1080p Streaming Player

Sheesh! Another Roku. If it ain’t a Roku, it’s a Roomba. Woot should change its name to Woombku.com.

are these things just for netflix and such? 'cause if can stream media from my computer (.avis, h264 mkv, all that good stuff) and play it on my tv i want one.

Wouldn’t you be able to get the same content regardless where you are in the world? It uses the internet which is the same all over the world – except places like China (with the “great firewall of China”). Most countries do not filter internet content.

Roku maybe,Dyson never!

Shh! Something that is a useless as this needs to be wooted. Especially if you’re Amazon and bought the factory inventory for $10 each

I want to know this too… What exactly would I need in order to drop cable, and save $150/mo.

In ‘dummy speak’ please :slight_smile:

Hardware ?(other than Roku), subscriptions to streaming services? minimum internet specs for this to stream SMOOTHLY. I have wi-fi and I see this player has HDMI in case of crappy streaming. My internet speed is 54Mbps

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Now, I’m contemplating sending it back as they want me to submit my credit card number to keep on file in order to be able to use it. I’m not comfortable with that. Had I known that on the front end, I would not have purchased this product.

Someone suggested after I ordered that I should have just purchased a Blue-ray instead.

Any advice on the best device to have in order to get Netflix, Hulu and etc.?

Bought it 6 months ago , connected it - spent a few minutes setting up channels , everything has worked perfectly - WHERE IS THE CHALLENGE IN THAT!!!

I don’t say this often but the Internet and Roku is an almost unbelievable deal. 5 stars.

From last woot, I linked above:

Google ROKU channels - there is a lot out there for free - including the free ones if you are an AMazon Prime customer - but for movies, Netflix download is $8 a month or so.

Great thing about Roku - you can setup your own private channel of stuff. Anyone can pick it up if they know the code. There are some fantastic private channels out there.
Here is a large list of channels.

Don’t forget the most important private channel to load:

Login to Roku.com
Under Manage Account Block > Select > Add a Private Channel
Insert the following code: BPPIM.
Add Channel
Go to your Roku player and enter the channel store. Then exit without doing anything (This refreshes your channels)
You now have a dedicated Woot! Channel

Note to anyone:
You do NOT have to have a Credit Card on file with them

Just call them up or use the live chat feature off their website. Tell them you want to set up an account without a Credit Card. They may try to get you to do so but just keep at it. I had to tell them no once or twice and then they very cheerfully set me up with no card on file.

Dunno how up to date this is:

Here is a list of all OFFICIAL ROKU channels: 
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#15

Here is a list of all HIDDEN/PRIVATE ROKU channels:
http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/live-streaming-channels/

http://hiddenchannel.com/http://www.roku-channels.com/http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/

Roku SUCKS and yet is great when it works. I bought 2 of this exact unit because I loved my Roku 2hd. This model will NOT get GBTV (the main channel I bought it for).
Again, If you want to watch GB TV this model will not be acceptable. Roku tech support was WORTHLESS. It took over 2 hours for them to finally say the problem must be with GBTV not the unit. I’m still not sure I believe it. Spend $10 extra and get a new Roku2.

It sounds first worldy (or worldly?), but this thing changed my wife and I’s lives. our only existing means of connecting through the TV was a 3rd party HDMI to RCA adapter that trimmed the edges, connected to my laptop. Netflix, hulu, you name it, was a nightmare. Getting the windows loaded. Keeping the laptop from going to sleep, and keeping the loose HDMI port from displaying impressionist art that looks a lot like Doctor Who.

My wife said I was crazy to spend $50 on a streaming box. But who’s crazy now?!? WHO?!? Yeah, prolly still me. no more fussing with the sound mixer. No more dragging the laptop over.

On the real though. It’s great for Netflix. The Pandora app is amazing. But a few issues:
-Setup had me eventually removing my Wi-fi protection. It wouldn’t connect otherwise.
-No subtitles for Netflix. Very unfortunate when watching stuff with talkative folk, and mumbly actors.

Other than that, it runs for months at a time without issues, but the roku app for android is pretty much crap in my experience.

If I have another pc on my home network in the house that has movies/tv recorded on it with WMC, can I use this roku on a different tv and pipe in the media from that other pc?

Let me add a truly stupid question (cause it’s a skill, and I have it!). If I have Roku (and I do) can I just turn on a channel and let it run – like I do now with the hugely expensive cable? Or do I have to stop every hour and tell it what to play next? The TV is mainly on as background while I work and play on the computer – but I DO like the “company” and occasionally I’ll even turn my attention to the TV, more than just flicking a glance at the mirror I set up so I can see the screen without turning my head.

I WOULD like to drop cable TV, cause there’s nothing on: really, how many times can you ‘watch’(listen to) “Ancient Aliens” without your head exploding?!? But not if I have to babysit the TV to keep it making noise!

I think you’re being paranoid.
Blu-ray is a dying technology, there isnt a blu-ray out there that’ll give you the amount of streaming options a roku will.

ins’t this te first generation model??

I’m looking at dropping cable, and using a roku with hulu plus and Netflix. The problem is that I don’t get good antenna reception at my house, and we watch a LOT of CBS shows (which aren’t offered on hulu). Does anyone know of a way to watch CBS shows using roku (without waiting for them to be released on Netflix)?