Roku2 XD Streaming Player w/Bonus Remote

My father owns one. Combine this with the PLEX app that you can put on this thing, and this device becomes a real thing of beauty. The plex app takes care of playing youtube videos for you .

Got this from woot a few weeks back. I cut the cord the week it arrived. This plus Aereo (new to my area, and I’m too far away for rabbit ears, etc for local TV) along with Amazon Prime is working for me… I can always add Hulu and/or Netflix if I need to later. Cable bill dropped from $170 to $35 (Internet) W00t!

My Son is going to school in Canada and could use something like this.
Can anyone explain …do you have to subscribe to cable ? Does it just pick up things off the Internet and stream them or do you have to pay for anything you get? Im very " NOT " Technically inclined. Help would be appreciated.

OK so I can get a used/refurb Roku XD for $45.00 + $5.00 Shipping. OR I can buy one BRAND NEW from Roku.com for $59.00 with free shipping.

Personally the extra $9 is worth it for a brand new product and warranty.

Is this one being offered Compatible in Canada. I went on Google and it showed me a : Roku 2 XS Streaming Player - Canadian Version

Can ayone help me here?

This pulls all of it’s content from the internet alone. Some content you have to pay for a subscription…example: Netflix, Amazon Instant.

WOOT comes with extra remote. Now it is a tougher call. Given how good WOOT has always been with returns and refunds, I think the WOOT offer is better.

Tougher call for me is this v. Roku 3 for $100. Have the Roku 3 and it is awesome.

Fwiw, roku has the same warranty for new and refurbs (90 days), this comes with an extra remote and if you are buying something else, it helps offset the shipping. I’m getting this and tge cuisinart coffee maker on woot plus, to help me stay awake during the game if thrones marathon in going to have when this all comes. Lol.

I bought this (for $30 more) to be able to use the close captioning feature on Netflix. I work out on a noisy rowing machine and being able to read the dialog is great. The previous versions don’t have this feature.

Just drives me nuts how both my Rokus (Roku 1 HD and Roku2 xd) crash so frequently on Hulu+. Were it not for that these would be close to excellent. The hulu folks blame roku the roku folks say there is no problem.
Grr

I have a first gen Roku, which is great, but some apps (like the Time Warner one and Vudu) don’t work with it.

The main benefit of that one is that it has an Ethernet port. I wish this one did.

Good product, last one I got from woot refurbished had HORRIBLE wireless reception. But I think I got it for $35 or something. When it did work, it was great for the bedroom setup.

YES it is VERY idiot friendly!

YES this is VERY idiot (no pun intended) friendly, LOVE mine, just picked this one up for the bedroom TV!

The bonus gaming remote looks like the Roku 3 remote. Does it have a headphone jack, like the Roku 3 remote? The headphone jack is an awesome feature, worth advertising if present.

EDIT: NO, IT DOES NOT. I compared pics of remotes. That is just a Roku 2 gaming remote.

There is lots of great real world feedback here. Really close to grabbing one.

One concern - a couple folks mentioned a crashing propensity. Is that a rare occurrence or just bad luck for those particular folks?

(A friend set one of these up for my mom in another state so she could watch movies from his amazingly complete movie server. She seems to like it. 'Not so sure about the legality of his server content, but that’s a separate issue…)

Does this model have subtitles for Netflix? I have a few XD (older model) models and they do not have subtitle options. Thanks!

The crashing problem is only on the Hulu channel, and I’ve used it frequently enough on different devices to have convinced myself it’s Hulu’s fault.

FYI, if you’re comparing this Roku to the Roku 2 XS models that can be found on clearance at Best Buy or Sam’s Club (Sam’s price = $56 + tax, YMMV), or to the new Roku 3 model, here’s a summary of the differences:

Common to all:
Bual-band wireless b/g/n
Composite Video and Analog Stereo via 3-in-1 connector
HDMI (supports up to 1080p)
Digital Audio over HDMI
CC on Netflix
Plex Support
Vudu Support (Full HDX)
IR Remote w/Star Button
microSD Slot

Roku 2 XS Adds:
10/100 Base-T Ethernet Port
Bluetooth Remote w/Star, Reply + Game buttons
USB Port

Roku 3 Adds:
802.11a support
Faster processor
REMOVE Composite Video
REMOVE Analog Stereo

Roku 2 XD (refurb) here for $50 shipped
Roku 2 XS (add ethernet port, USB, + non-IR remote) for ~$60
Roku 3 (faster, add wireless a, remove RCA R/W/Y) for $100

This version is a deal if you’re happy with a wireless-only connection. If you want the flexibility of wireless OR wired, see if you can score an XS.

Yes. Netflix CC is supported on the Roku LT (2400D) and all later models, including this Roku 2 XD (3050).

@bianchi1911, can’t speak specifically for Canada, but having traveled to Europe several times and finding a lot of US content blocked over the raw Internet (Pandora, etc…), I’d wonder whether content might be blocked going between the US & Canada.

Media content owners like to manage their content and profit from it in each country. (Perfectly within their rights - it is their content.)