RSS Feed dead?

If the RSS feed is gone forever, you have just lost a customer

1 Like

Just an FYI, but it’s super easy to see what the current offerings are on the main categories by going to Wootstalker (they also have a phone app). Plus there’s the official Woot app on both Google Play and Apple Appstore.

Wait…what’s an RSS feed? I’ve never needed one.

Except, if I wanted to use the RSS Feed + IF(TTT) + Wear OS to get alerts to my watch, it’s no longer possible.

And yes, while it may not be efficient, I use it for other sites.

1 Like

True, but if you install the official Woot app (and probably the others), you can still have notifications sent to your watch, just like other notifications.

You can also sign up for Woot’s Twitter feed for the main Woot and Shirt.Woot (and Woot-Off, if you want to go insane from all the notifications) and even have those texted to you if you want.

I would suggest turning on post notifications on Facebook for Woot’s page but Facebook’s notifications have been super wonky so forget that, and pages are always delayed, anyway.

Anyway, I love RSS. I use it every single day. I was just using The Old Reader a minute ago when I clicked over to this tab to check what was going on. But I also realize that not everyone supports it (and I think it may be depreciating in general, not just with Woot) and there are other (easy) ways to get the information I want. I’d like to see Woot’s RSS feed reenabled but I’m not going to lose sleep over it, either.

1 Like

Notifications don’t work for me (long story).

I don’t have a Twitter account.

I don’t have a Facebook account.

Those recommendations may help other people though. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty bummed that you guys have decided to retire the RSS. I hope that it wasn’t just one person’s decision to nuke it (I can imagine some exec yammering on about “RSS? Get that out of here, it’s 2019, we need apps! These millennials all use apps!!”), but RSS is how I’ve followed the deals for more than a decade.

The RSS was a great way to get the daily feed, but when the time was opportune for me. I’m not going to bog down my device(s) with yet another app with push notifications, or deal with a daily nag email; they just turn into noise that I’ll ignore at best. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s cool there’s an API for folks to integrate stuff with (and I’m sure there are some rad projects out there), but it seems like this is a feature that’s simple to implement/maintain, without any real benefit to deprecate. I’m hesitant to say that with the change Woot will turn into a thing of the past for me, but without it in my feed I probably won’t ever see anything unless a Slickdeals-type mentions something on their feed.

Also… maybe yank the link off the footer like Tukaro mentioned… it’s definitely a tease, and makes this pill just a little more bitter :unamused:

1 Like

It took 27 days for me to realize that I hadn’t seen any woot in my RSS reader, which is how I get literally any information I care about. That’s a lot of sales that I couldn’t have taken part in if I’d wanted to.

The only time I visited the site otherwise was when I somehow got an email about the BOGO shirt sale.

I tweeted about this days ago and was directed here, but, again, I forgot about it because I don’t have any reason to think of woot since there’s not a daily when-I-want-it reminder.

I hope you’ll reconsider.

2 Likes

It’s quite clear no one consulted with the user community before making this decision. For one, consumers don’t use APIs. Without the RSS feed there’s no way to be notified of new sales (on the desktop, at least) without visiting the site, which is ridiculous.

As I use RSS as my firehose for tech news and sales, this effectively kills Woot for me.

2 Likes

We did have stats on the use of our RSS feed. It was really really tiny and was hacked on top of a platform that was a magnet for DDoS attacks so we had to close it down. We’d love to bring it back some day in a proper way though. We don’t shut things down for fun just to annoy y’all, but sometimes we have to make a crappy choice for the greater good. Or some enterprising third party could wrap our API with their referral code on the links and front up an RSS feed! Money to be made!

2 Likes

What greater good was there for closing Moofi?

Or deals.woot?

Or closing the secret Woot clubhouse?

1 Like

Not sure if this will work for what you are wanting to do (no feed from the primary sales site), but since the new Woot forum is built with Discourse, you should be able to just add “.rss” the end of any root page URL in the forum and get a XML feed into your RSS reader / viewer.

Note that if you click the link below you’ll probably just get a download prompt, because the page is outputting an XML formatted RSS feed / file. The provided link is just an example to use as a source URL for your RSS reader / viewer.

For example Woot - Latest topics

1 Like

Moofi still exists. We just don’t call it that anymore because only a few people still knew wtf it meant. :slight_smile:

Deals.woot was a shadow of its former self which was costing more to maintain than it made.

And the last thing? I’m blaming that on you. For no real reason. Or factual basis. But it’s your fault. :wink:

1 Like

Sure.

Place the blame on my shoulders. At least there are others in the club.

I think I’ll employ this whole “blame qazxswe” thing in my daily life. Whenever something goes wrong in my life, I’ll just think to myself “that damn penguin!” so that whatever happens, I won’t be at fault.

1 Like

I better get a trophy. :laughing:

I suggest this.

J-AGS16-PP

2 Likes

I was thinking of something more along these lines.

Send a physical trophy with that plaque to my house, and I’ll gladly put it on display.

I would totally do that but I’m broke. It’s your fault. Obviously.

This is really disappointing. I use a lot of RSS feeds and Woot dropping theirs means I’ll visit the site far less often. An update API is no replacement. The feed was served/protected by Cloudfront, so I don’t see how DDOS’ing would be an issue.

1 Like