Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3

I just got a puppy. This might be required.

No furniture or stair attachments? Would love to use on furniture, stairs and vehicles as well

How many times has this been refurbished? There’s a limit of 12, you know.

Will it play music? Wear fancy clothes? Wrap my curtains around its neck like a scarf? Have a stick of celery stuck to it? These things will let me know how many times it has been refurbished.

Much easier to just use the bathtub, especially as this doesn’t include any attachments.

Bought it last year the last time Woot offered it. It’s been a good machine for us. With 3 kids and 3 cats we have had to use it a lot (probably over 15 times), so it has already paid off what the rental fee would have been. It also shipped directly from the Rug Doctor warehouse, and not from a Woot warehouse.

For those who may want to know, it doesn’t come with the hand tool, but mine had a $20 off coupon for one, which was good since it looks like the Home Depot doesn’t sell it anymore.

Bought one from here about a year ago, it was not the Prox3 model sold now. No attachements of any kind came with it, you can purchase, about 80 bucks… Had a bissell unit, cleaned ok, but took a day for the carpets to dry. The Rug DR drys the carpets so well, within about 3 hours you can walk on it without wet socks!.. Great cleaning machine, and the refurb I got was in new condition, right down to having the plastic still on the serial number plate.

They could be refurbed rental units?

If you want a “professional” deep cleaning machine, get the BISSELL Big Green Machine. It leaves your carpets more dry initially, and has way better than the rug doctor. Not to mention a spring loaded suction lip (Rug Dr. is fixed) so it actually applies pressure to your carpet when you are sucking the water / solution up.

Does anyone else concur that the Bissell Big Green beats this thing? I noticed the Bissell isn’t on the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Seal of Approval list, but don’t know whether that’s significant. Thanks.

Thanks for that info! I had not seen the sale price. And I think the Costco unit comes with the hose.

One question: Is this blue box smaller on the outside?

Souffle anyone?

I bought this on a previous woot offering to use at my martial arts school. It does a fantastic job at cleaning our carpets.I do have 4 major complaints about it though.

1. the handle is not very user friendly it is at an odd angle and is kind of short it really needs to be 2-3 inches longer.
  2. The fill and empty buckets are clunky, there is no way to tell how much water you have left in the fill tank and even when the machine stops squirting water from the tank there is still a good bit in there.
  3. there is no pour lip on the empty bucket and it has a very large lip that means some of the dirty water and particles stay in it.
  4. The hook where you wrap the cord does not have any sort of release feature so you have to wind and unwind the cord and it is a pretty small spot so the cord stays pretty tightly wound.
    Overall the machine does a great job and the design flaws are not deal breakers but they couldve made a good machine a great machine. Everything is pretty heavy duty and it seems like it is going to last for quite some time.

It certainly has some nicer features. It has removable tanks for both clean and dirty water, (if you don’t use all the clean water in the rug doctor you need to lift the machine to pour it out or eject it into the carpet I think.)it has a handle that attaches at the base for better handling, you can push it forwards and backwards, and mine even came with the upholstery attachment. The main mechanical difference is in the brush head. The bissell has a rotating brush like a vacuum cleaner, and the rug doctor has an oscillating bar brush like nothing I can think of. That limits the rug doctor to being pulled backwards while the big green can be pushed and pulled. I don’t know if there is a huge difference in performance. I haven’t tried them both side by side, and I didn’t buy my big green to perform any carpet restoration miracles. I just use it to clean spot accidents and freshen up the place a couple times a year. It performs both of those tasks very well. I’ve gotten grease stains from my office chair, and ground ground in electrical tape adhesive stains out of my carpet with it. It’s also cleaned up all sorts of pet excretions like they were nothing. I do feel comfortable saying that both machines are built tonka tough and worth the extra scratch.

You should check the Bissell Big Green 86T3 for comparison. Amazon has some 5 star reviews for the Bissell. I found the Bissell for $280 for a new machine. Various reviews on the web gave the nod to the Bissell. Since the refurb price for the Rug Doctor is about $150 less than the new Bissell on Amazon that might be the way to go. Check the extensive reviews for both.

If you ever share the expense of a rental with close friends or family I would suggest splitting the cost and the use of this machine among them. My sister and I each have only one room with carpet between our two homes, and our mom has only two rooms with carpet. When possible we plan a carpet cleaning the same day and split cost of the rental. If you have (or could have) a similar situation I suggest co-purchasing the machine. It is easier to justify $100 to $150 for anytime access to a rug doctor than $300, and the wear on the machine would still be minimal compared to a rental!

yep. costco’s deal is much better. brand new (not a refurb), and it includes:
-free shipping
-upholstery and stair tool with 12’ hose
-96 oz. of oxy-steam carpet cleaner solution
-24 oz. urine eliminator solution

for only $50 more.

I dont think so. The blue one is the “street legal” one, the rentals are red.

These rug cleaners weigh a ton and are loud as hell but they really work in high traffic areas to lift out the years of dirt tracked in on your shoes. I rented one such machine and spent about 4 hours going back and forth over the same area watching the dirty water go from black to brown to grey and eventually I settled on grey.

Note that the cleaning solution is pretty expensive and you need a lot of it to properly clean an area as you will be going over the same rug multiple times to get it clean.

how well does this clean blood stains?

So if you are at all interested in this product and you’re not sure if this is a good deal, let me help you out. From the RugDoctor website, a brand new one will cost you $600 and a refurbished (same as for sale here) will cost you $450. You do the math!

http://buy.rugdoctor.com/carpet-cleaners/mighty-pro-x3.html
http://buy.rugdoctor.com/carpet-cleaners-refurbished.html

I’m buying it right now.