Running : Doing the LSD, and Lovin' It

A thread for discussion about running; any kind of running, and anything about running!

I don’t know how strong the running presence is on these forums, but any runners, experienced or new to the sport are welcome. (And non-runners too!)

I’ll start it off:
I’ve been running competitively for 5 years now, and my primary events are the 8km (in cross-country), the 1500m, and the 800m (in track).

Anyway, I’m looking for a reliable place to buy cheap running shorts (mine are mysteriously disappearing - and I’m looking for some decent split shorts). Dick’s and such, as well as dedicated running stores are always overpriced. My favorite online running store right now is Eastbay - they have pretty decent deals. I’m looking for something cheaper, though, with better shipping rates, and with decent reliability. Where do you guys buy “quality running apparel?”

I got a “fugly” pair of Asics running shorts on the closeout rack at my local running store for $1.99! And I’ve heard that (shudder) Wal-Mart has it’s own brand of athletic wear that is also pretty inexpensive when it goes on sale.

I prefer to shop the local store rather than the brand-name stores like Dick’s and Sports Authority. You pay a bit more, but the workers at those local stores really take the time to match you up with a decent pair of shoes that fits your running style.

Running/jogging is good because it lets me eat whatever I want.

Also, some races have a “clydesdale” weight group for fat guys over 185 or 200 pounds. I can kick butt in that weight group, as most fat guys don’t want to admit it and enter in that weight class, and I am sort of tall so even though I push 200 pounds, it’s spread out over 75 inches of height!

Mr. Kneny,

I would just hide in some bushes near a jogging trail and club a passing runner that was my shoe size. That may be just me, though.

Eh? I don’t jog, and I eat whatever I want, Mr. Kneny.

I’m 4’ 10" and 800 lbs.

I have been a runner since what…2005? Whenever I stopped being a sick little l.ame duck. I used to go for big-time distance runs though I’ve noticed as I focus more now on building muscle and lifting weights, I tend to opt for sprinting distances instead. Either way, it’s a lot of fun.

I do races and participate in group stuff. However, I don’t get too worked up about winning or even doing moderately well against others. For me, it’s just all about setting personal records and enjoying the company of other runners, who are usually very positive and enthusiastic people.

Allawayr, as far as running apparel is concerned, I typically just shell out the big bucks at Sports Authority/Copeland/Big Brand X. Sometimes, if I’m hurting for a top or something, I’ll pop into a Ross or Marshall’s because they occasionally have quality stuff at fantastic discounts and it’s worth a peek. I wish I could offer more in the way of good shopping advice…I know what you mean about the mysterious disappearance of running clothing. My activewear vanishes, too. Especially, of course, the socks.

The local running stores are definitely the best when it comes to buying running shoes - they do spend that time/effort to make the sale. The cheapest I’ve ever gotten a pair of shorts from there is 19.99 =/ So that’s why I’m looking for a discount online store. (My other issue is that rural PA has very few running stores as compared to MoCo, MD).

I’d be remiss if I forgot to accidentally slip in the fact that I ran in the Marine Corps marathon in 1997 and beat Al Gore.

Mr. 1, didn’t I see you on the Discovery Channel last month? Are you the guy who hangs the basket full of cash out the window and make the delivery guy put the subs in the basket so your sister doesn’t see you eating all the food?

That’s one of my favorite things about running! The community (I find) may be smallish, but it’s very tight-knit and a great group to be a part of.

[quotepostid=“2153011” user=“PemberDucky”]
Allawayr, as far as running apparel is concerned, I typically just shell out the big bucks at Sports Authority/Copeland/Big Brand X. Sometimes, if I’m hurting for a top or something, I’ll pop into a Ross or Marshall’s because they occasionally have quality stuff at fantastic discounts and it’s worth a peek. I wish I could offer more in the way of good shopping advice…I know what you mean about the mysterious disappearance of running clothing. My activewear vanishes, too. Especially, of course, the socks.
[/quote]

Tell me about it - I lost three socks last night alone in the wash (all different types too, so that means I’ve got three unmatched socks to go along with those). Thanks though! I’d never though of shopping for running clothes at a Ross’s or Marshall’s. Target actually has an in-store brand too (made by Champion) called C9. They’re around 11.99 last I checked for a decent (but definitely not top of the line) pair of shorts. But I’m trying to get some decent split shorts as opposed to just “booty shorts” - which while are geared towards running, are simply too modest for my tastes. =P

//[scribbling on Post-It]…note… to… self… don’t… annoy… the… duck.

sorry, wrong thread!

Wow - really? That’s always an accomplishment. The Marine Corps marathon will be my marathon of choice (when I get around to doing that, most likely after I’m out of college because I’m not training for that sort of race right now).

The MC Marathon is exceptionally well-organized, and when you limp across that finish line, a dressed-up Marine salutes you and gives you a medal. Quite emotional.

Mr. Kneny,
Did you beat him in the race or pummel him with your fists?

Mr. Kneny,
Drivers on the road “salute” me all the time.

Yes.

I also had a high school buddy of mine who I had not seen in 7 years jog on past me and I hollered out his name and we visited for a mile or two then he kept on running ahead of me and we haven’t seen each other since.

That’s probably because your 800-pound caboose takes up both lanes!
:meh:

I even thought of going ‘pro’ for a while! Then I saw what happened to my trainer after she sustained and injury from building too much muscle in her back and I decided I’d just stick with being a casual she-beefcake. she-cake. I dunno. I also don’t want to scare people.

By pro, do you mean being a pro runner? Or a pro weightlifter?

Bodybuilding…sorry, I totally derailed there.
Anydoodle, I loves me some running! As you said, it’s a small community–particularly here in Vegas, where nobody wants to take care of themselves. It’s just a neat little nucleus of folks and a very interesting cross-section of humanity. When the member of one of our local running clubs suffered an aneurysm, everybody really rallied around him and supported his family. Powerful stuff.

I could never imagine being a bodybuilder - that’s pretty intense.

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/5601/n1qshok.gif

Wow - that is a great story…I’m glad to hear that the mentality is so universal. It’s fantastic :slight_smile: