Saeco Poemia Manual Espresso Machine

**Item: **Saeco Poemia Manual Espresso Machine
Price: $89.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Saeco Poemia Manual Espresso Machine)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Saeco Poemia Manual Espresso Machine)

Key Features
[youtube=Sa0H0gYqWcg][/youtube]

Lotsa stars from SeattleCoffeeGear

Decent reviews over at Amazon

I have a Saeco from SCG, bought new. SCG is a top quality company.

I have to wonder about the build construction of the Poemias, though. Poemias, Aromas (1 step up) and Via Venezias (2 steps up) supposedly all have essentially the same internal brew group parts. But the Poemias have only been around for a year or so and the market is just drowning in refurbs, while the other two have reputations for lasting for 10+ years with minimal care.

Foam on coffee? Yuck.

That’s not coffee-foam, its coffee-snot.

G-R-O-S-S (but funny)

Saeco used to be made in Italy. This is made in China. Go to walmart and you’ll get the same thing from a cheaper brand. Reminds me of Nakamichi - my son has a 10 pair of headphones from this now-Chinese brand.

I had a stainless steel Italian-made Saeco that was quite good.

Then I bought a cheaper model (Italian-made plastic cased “Via Veneto”) with allegedly the same innards, and it did not produce the same results by far.

Same grind, same portafilter, tested side-by-side.

Sad, but true. The use of brand-names with great reputations slapped on lesser goods is epidemic.

Inner barista? Where’s the bar?

Manual? With a pressurized portafilter so you “you won’t need to perfect your grind and tamp before you pull great tasting shots.” (Once again “pull???” you mean “flip a switch for.”)

Most espresso machine selling sites would call this a semi-automatic.

A few months ago I bought a pressurized Saeco machine (used) as a quick and cheap replacement for a Gaggia semi-automatic Evolution that I’d driven into the ground beyond retrieval. The shots are okay, but not really totally rewarding, certainly not great tasting.

As soon as I get back to my winter quarters, I’ll be shopping for a new non-pressurized portafilter model…probably another Gaggia which I’ll care for better so I don’t have to replace it after only 8 years or so.

There are two seperate sets of reviews for this item at Amazon, one for the unit Amazon itself flogs and one for the machine sold by Seattle Coffee Gear. Combine all the reviews, and you’re looking at an average of three stars.

SCG has a non-pressurized portafilter that fits this model.

That’s espresso for you. Even with high-end machines, you’ll need to change the grind to suit the machine at hand. Put two brand new machines side by side, exact same model, and they’ll more than likely need different grinds for the same result. Minute differences in pump pressure or water temperature are amplified in the cup, or at the group head.

Uh, Beavis…he said “group head”…heh-heh…

Read quite a few bad reviews on Amazon. There are cheaper espresso machines available for better quality.

That’s crema. It’s emulsified coffee oil suspended on top of the shot. It’s a product of the pressure required to pull a shot of espresso.

I was interested until I saw the Philips brand on there. No way. I’ve been burned too many times by Philips products (mostly made in China).

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/standard/about/news/press/20090525_agreement_to_acquire_saeco.wpd

Great item! I really wish I could buy this… BUT Woot won’t ship this to Alaska. Which is very odd, since the USPS, UPS and FedEx all make it to this state. And this is not that large of an item that it would cost more than the $5 shipping one would normally pay.

Sadly, I think today might be the last time I check here for deals - All I do is get excited about a deal only to be hit with “Item does not ship to Alaska.”

Buh bye!