Saeco Syntia Espresso Machine

Ehhhh I do like Espresso but I like $600 more.

we bought the cheaper saeco offered a while back ($250) on Woot… was refurb also. Actually bought one for work and one for home. It’s awesome. You should go back to that thread and read some of the comments… mine arrived and was perfect, but others had a few issues. I’ve made espresso, cappuccino, and lattes, as well as just regular ol’ coffee. It all comes out awesome. We were just saying we wished ours were a little more technical (there’s no warning when your water’s low etc) and looks like this one has all that built in. Don’t let the refurb scare you… they come in phenomenal condition (at least mine did…)

[QUOTE=CowboyDann, post:3, topic:345872]
Any eggheads out there want to tell me how many drinks it would take for this thing to pay for itself?

We bought a Gaggia machine (company now owned by Saeco) for $799 eight years ago, and it has so far made 17,000 cups. That should be like .047 cents per cup…

this article makes fun of my beautiful Sylvia too much. I love my Rancillio Sylvia.

wElL At lEaSt tHiS iNTeRnEt fAd hAs StOpPed (I hope)

You can still lay down your pronunciation smackdown, since “sheik” is pronounced “shake.” But do it with style, so we can appreciate your tongue-in-chic comments!

espresso
gnashing
intents and purposes
I’ll
moot
averse
exhorbitant
hardship
midst
bull
leeway
ado
fetal

sighs Now I can stop twitching.

Okay, can someone please clarify what the coffee “length” is?

Is this something I should have been worrying about all along?

I’ve never even considered it.

Have I been drinking coffee that’s too long, or worse yet, not long enough?

Ahhh… malapropisms.

They just warm my little heart like a burning amber.

Can one make a decent Americano using the grinder in the unit? I saw a video where on only the Americano they did not use the internal grinder, does that mean it is a compromise? I really want to get my grinder off the counter and have one unit gut I personally will be drinking Americanos:)

LOVE LOVE LOVE these Saeco machines. I am on my 2nd unit in 6 years. The first was a refurb that lasted around 2 years. Boiler went out and would have almost cost more to fix than to buy a new one. The next one I got on sale at Amazon, brand new. It is now over 4 years old and works like a champ. I was a bit nervous after the first one and bought the 3 year extended warranty, never used it, and it is now expired.
These Saeco machines are awesome. I can make a great latte in a few minutes, easy clean up. I clean my unit every 2-3 weeks, just rinse the plastic chamber and give it a good wipe down all over. I use filtered water so I think that is why I have only had to de-scale the unit 2 times. Saeco is quality, the BMW of the semi-automatic expresso machines. They are expensive, but I figure it have save me up to $1000 a year from going to a coffee shop, STARBUCKS. So my machine has paid for itself. I use the best coffee on sale or buy specialty makes online. I have paid up to $50 a pound for some good beans. I usually will use those beans in a french press to get the most out of those beans. But for a latte, buy starbuck beans on sale, I have gotten them for $4.99 a bag. If you are going to mix it with milk or cream, you just need good coffee beans, not great beans. Don’t go too cheap, there are some bad beans out there. Pay $2 more for quality. You can taste it.
If you are in the market, have your tax refund, and must have a good strong coffee FAST in the morning, BUY IT NOW! Don’t hesitate. You will love being able to have a very good coffee in under 5 minutes. I purchased a Capresso frothPRO at Amazon to heat and froth my milk. IT IS AWESOME and a great companion to any coffee machine.

Best. Comment. Ever.

Completely wrong. Your assumption is that there are no consumables to make coffee with this machine. I did a lot of research and after all the data it will take approximately 600+ Starbucks equivelents to begin saving money.

Tall equivelant at Starbucks uses 22 grams of coffee which equates to approx 20 cups per pound of coffee used. I won’t even go into portable containers, condiments, water, electricity, maintenance, filters, cost to get consumables or the gas cost to swing into the Starbucks drive-thru and wait times. Nor will I mention Starbucks reward programs and discounts when you buy their cards or free wifi.

Personally spending a house payment on this or at Starbucks is absurd and my gas station Java is just fine. Although I did buy the Kuerig machine from woot and it has become a Barista training center from the kids and the 10 different flavors is ridiculous, but that’s me.

I typed this on my woot purchased Thrive so grammer and spelling may be off so back off. I’ve had 5 $.50 cups already and I’m ready.

Like others, I wish I could afford this. I have two espresso machines now. Both came from woot, they have been great but are starting to show signs of being worn out. Used one 1 for 6 months and it had to be re-built under warranty. Purchased the current one 18 months ago and it’s been great. Would love a more advanced machine that does more and simpler. I drink espresso every day so this thing certainly saves me from buying $5.50 espresso drinks at Starbucks. Even when you figure in coffee, a little syrup and some milk you are easily saving $4-$4.50 a drink.

Does anyone know if this machine can be set to automatically turn on at a certain time? My current Saeco does this and it helps that I don’t have to wait for the machine to warm up in the morning.

I hear “no”. No rimer.

can the grinder be used to just grind beans, then put in my french press?

In the copy: it’s a “moot” point, not a “mute” point.

I assume this is not serious, because no one would spend $600 on a superautomatic just for the grinder (you can get a really good grinder for $200). However, just to answer the question, no. Once the machine grinds the coffee it goes all the way through the process, and makes a cup of coffee, and spits out the used grounds, which actually, I suppose, you could then put in the french press, so yes, you can put it in your french press.