Safavieh Natural Cowhide 4'6"x6'6" (5 Colors)

It could happen.

Last time these were for sale, on Woot, I decided to look at the Amazon reviews. I guess I was more interested in the prices Amazon had, on them. The negative reviews were extremely funny, because people were complaining theirs looked nothing like the one in the picture. OF COURSE THEY DON’T; these are from live animals and every one of them is completely different. That’s the beauty of cowhide rugs.

How now brown cow…

Are you friends with my dad?! HA! He would ALWAYS say that when my brother and I were kids.

Would this work in a household with a dog?

This just seems like the kind of item you want to pick out in person. There’s too much variation from one hide to the next.
For example, pictures #3 and #8 are both supposed to be black/brown. If I knew I was getting something that looks similar to #8 I’d be in for one without question, then I noticed #3 is totally different. It looks more grey/white than black/brown.

What! For blending in with the cows. What pervs! Unless you’re a cow, you udder know better.

Prolly look fine right next to Little Joe’s dead black & white pinto.

Answer me this, oh sage & benevolent wooters, what does it take to score a quality post?

me been 'round long time, still no understand.

A good rule of thumb is not to sleep in the vicinity of what you eat.

I’d agree with the post that states that potential buyers have wouldn’t have an idea of the quality, look, etc. I don’t think I’d buy this sight unseen.

The price is ok, but for about a few more bucks you could get a one if you live in a Western state where dairy and meat farms are a dime a dozen.

… on one of the previous sales (the top one - afraid to edit more and mess up things!!!) a buyer complains that the rug ordered was the “brown & white” cowhide but in the pic sent what was delivered was 99% brown!

On that sale, now, it doesn’t say who the warranty is with… the buyer emailed Woot and Safavieh with both responding… and the buyer got an exchange after returning the brown hide.

Now with Woot behind the 90 day warranty I am wondering if I ordered a similar type i.e: brown/black or black/brown and get a pure black or 99% brown will I be messing with a return/exchange or just a return/refund *which is even worse for me!!! etc? Is Safavieh out of the picture this time around?

Hope a mod sees this asap!
Thanks in advance,f

I’ll see what I can find out about the warranty.

UDPATE: The 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty is correct.

I prefer the lighter brown and white, but don’t see where to ensure I’m buying that one v. The smaller spotted/darker one

I ordered this rug and it arrived today.

I’m super happy with it! the rug is gorgeous.
I got brown and white, and am extremely please with the spot ratio.

It /is/ mostly brown with a white streak down the center near the neck (at max the streak is 6in wide and then about 3ft long) and white spots around the edges.

But I think that’s great for keeping it looking clean.

There are two small blemishes (bald spots) they’re about nickle sized, but I expected far worse.

It did arrive folded up and for now I just laid it out. I’m going to have to research how to flatten a rug like this.

I’ve read an iron and heavy books in the comments, so I may try that.

Super happy I decided to splurge on this :slight_smile:

Hope everyone else got gorgeous rugs!

So umm, ours is branded??? Is it supposed to be like this?!

#1 Really LOVE this piece!

#2 As predicted in ordering the “Black/Brown” pictured in #3 what I actually got looks like #4 (described here as) “Tan”. I think “Tan” is usually lighter and mine is a lot lighter than what is pictured, a lot less black in mine, lol… the one I got also has the white bits where the “Tan” has them!

#3 Oddly enough there is a Safavieh label with a Color: “Brindle” - which might be accurate (subtle streaks of color are irregular and usually darker than the base color of the coat).

Very rare in cattle! BUT nothing about “Black/Brown”!

#4 Would say I got what is on the Safavieh label a Brindle “Real Tan” and NOT anything near the Black/Brown ordered…

p.s. If anyone does find the best way to flatten out this thing… please leave a comment. I am thinking of sending off an email to Safavieh. I have a heavy duty floor steam cleaner which I am sure would do a great job of flattening this thing *probably using at least a sheet or towel and going over the non-cowhide side.

p.s.s. So far am not smelling any strong odors as reported by some Wooters. I just got two other Polypropylene rugs and THOSE smell pretty strong!!!

Yep. In the features:

Special Note: Natural marks, branding marks, color and size variations are inherent characteristics of the leather and will enhance the individuality of your unique rug.

OK… just got off the phone with Safavieh customer service about flattening the rugs. The woman would only suggest keeping them rolled out for a week or two which she said would see the folds disappear (um really?). She would not recommend the steamer! She also said one could roll the rug up and keep it like that for a week or two.

I explained that I had been in the fashion/manufacturing industry and have worked with high end leather - steaming/ironing so she said I was aware of working with leather butttt she still would not suggest any other methods of taking out the folds in their rugs instead said I should contact Woot!

I think I am going to take an old sheet, dampen it, fold to the same size, roll it all up as tight as I can and tie up with ropes. See how it looks after a bit then test with the steamer - on the leg bit first…

Got mine this weekend! I ordered the black/brown and got one lighter than the picture — it’s more a nice bridle tan. After reading reviews I was prepared for imperfections. So the long scar here and small hole there don’t bother me.

I’ve already ironed the back of it and now have it on the floor with books here and there. Most folds have worked out okay after just a couple hours. I’ll probably be flattening a couple severe folds for the next few days, but the progress working them out is going much better than expected.

I only wish I had bought two because I didn’t realize how warm these hides would make my cold tile floor feel. I like the texture of it a lot and the leather is just so… warm.

While not expecting them to look the same the color and size I would expect to be similiar, it was not. Ordered a black and Brown. Looks the same as the brown and the 4"4 x 4", not even close to the stated size.

I think Woot will be bringing them back as they didn’t sell out!

My Eureka Enviro Floor Steamer really pressed out a major portion of the folds (after I wrapped the hide in a damp sheet (probably not really necessary)). After using the Eureka Steamer I rolled it back up in the slightly damp sheet again and about 6 hours later that seemed to really settle the folds flat.

This floor steamer is like a large clothing iron with a long handle so you can really press down (probably less control over the steam settings, etc). I have not noticed any damage to the cowhide, no fiber loss, etc. I will probably go over it with a steam iron to perfect the piece but so far am very happy with how great it looks against my hard wood floors!