SainSmart Digital Voice Modem Kit

SainSmart Digital Voice Modem Kit

Why would I need this? It makes a wifi hotspot out of a Pi or it does wifi to outbound modem for a RF walkie talkie? IDK.

So if I don’t have wifi and I use my phone as a hot spot and I purchased this, then I would be able to use this as a hot spot instead and it wouldn’t count against any data - so its unlimited data? Or am I just really confused?

From the description:
Application: SainSmart MMDVM Hotspot WiFi Modem kit enables the different modes of digital walkie talkie to communicate with each other, it supports DMR, P-25, D-Star and System Fusion.

So this takes different 2-way radio frequencies and rebroadcasts them, allowing different radios to be used to communicate together.

So this takes different 2-way radio frequencies and rebroadcasts them, allowing different radios to be used to communicate together.

Ah, so it uses an internet connection to bridge two (or more) walkie talkies that would otherwise be out of range from each other? Do you need two units (one for reach end of the Internet connection), then?

I could be completely wrong, but near as I can figure out, this allows ham radio equipment to communicate with the worldwide ham network via the internet instead of expensive, bulky, and sensitive antennas, amplifiers, cables etc that all require careful setup and tuning. I think it would go like this: ham equipment with short range antennas > this raspberry pi based bridge > internet via wifi > various gateways to regional or worldwide ham. I think, lol.

2 Likes

This is quite definitely for amateur radio operators - I am a ham, and already own two similar devices. The idea is that you can use this along with a digital radio (D-Star, DMR, System Fusion) to connect to either repeaters, individual users or digital “groups” of users in a virtual party line or chatroom. With a low power radio you have the ability to talk to people all around the world. All very cool, but not of a whole lot of use unless you have an amateur license or another type of license that would allow you to operate in the frequency range if these devices, and have the ability to set up the remainder of the infrastructure. Also, you do need a radio that uses a compatible protocol.

2 Likes

Ham license only, folks. And not really a bridge to HF with worldwide range. It is a bridge to many city-wide VHF or UHF digital voice low-speed networks. Also the things you can use it for are limited, no commercial use, no obscentity, and people are listening who block those who misbehave from the network. - Bruce K6BP.

1 Like