SainSmart Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO Router

SainSmart Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO Router

1 Like

Review by “Teaching Tech”: CNC router for $200 - Sainsmart Genmitsu 3018 Pro review and tutorial - YouTube

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but this appears to be the same device (unbranded, likely made in the same factory, just like their Ender 3) for $30 less:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDHHM3Z
Disclosure: I bought the Sainsmart Ender 3 from Woot and it’s fantastic. I found out later it comes off the same production line as the Creality ones. That’s likely the case here too. I have nothing at all against Sainsmart, and in fact have made many pricey purchases directly from them. :slight_smile:

If you’re familiar with Sainsmart’s offerings, you’ll recognize this as the upgraded/newer version with the side shields, also $30 less:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQSK2K8

4 Likes

Such a “deal” - it was $20 cheaper two years ago - same model.

The second unit in your post includes the offline controller, which seems pretty sweet. No need to have it hooked up to a computer while cutting.

People, please note that these include NO SOFTWARE for designing your cut paths, so you’ll need to use (and learn) Fusion360 or get ahold of a copy of something like V-Carve (Jack Sparrow version can be found if you look hard enough)

A cautionary noted for anyone considering this. I have a non-Sainsmart 3018-pro machine. I have had huge amounts of trouble with the X-axis (left right) binding up. My guess is that it’s due to the holes for the guide rods and lead screw not being 100% aligned. I’ve replaced the bearings to no avail.

Secondly, the backlash on these is pretty horrible. They have anti-backlash nuts, but the spring is weak and not enough to counter the forces of milling.

Third, this unit had no end stops, though the board has locations to plug them in. This is not a total deal breaker as the steppers aren’t really strong enough to break anything, but it means that homing the machine is not an automatic operation but rather a matter of the user jogging everything into place by visual alignment.

There seems to be a conflict in the working area. The title says 300 x 180 x 45, the specs say 100 x 180 x 45. But then it says the effective engraving area is 300 x 180 x 45. I’m confused?>?>?

It’s 300x180. That’s where the 3018 comes from: 3018 > 30 18 > 300 180

It also works for the other models in this style.

300 x 180 x 45 is correct.

PRICE DROP!

Buyer is in a good mood after a 3-day weekend so she’s done lowered the price.

Small Print: If you already purchased, that money will hop back into your pockets soonish.

2 Likes

Description says:

Versatile. Capable of cutting all types of plastics, soft aluminum, woods, acrylics, PVCs, and PCBs, the Genmitsu can be used on a wide range of projects and materials.

Many of these sub $1000 cnc carvers / “routers” claim to cut or carve metals, but really cannot. Any feedback as to this one?

Things get more expensive over time and two years have passed? Jesus you’ve cracked the code. Good job, Columbo.

Can it cut metal? If you go slow and take very shallow passes, you can cut just about anything, given enough time. Can you reasonably cut metal? No, probably not.

I was somewhat encouraged by the video review in the 1st or 2nd post, but obviously am cautious.

It looks like the Sainsmart one includes an offline controller too. According to their amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/Genmitsu-3018-PRO-Control-Engraving-300x180x45mm/dp/B07P6K9BL3/

Hello Wooters! Thank you for your interest in this deal. To answer a few of the questions.

• This kit does include an offline controller.
  • Our 3018-PRO comes with a CE/UL-certified power supply
  • Our engineering team has made improvements to the kit to avoid common pitfalls you see in other generic 3018-PRO, such as misaligned lead screws and power supply failures.
  • Our machines are manufactured at factories we audit and we have our own QC team to perform quality checks. (Even for the Ender-3, we have our own QC process in addition to Creality’s)
  • All our CNC machines are backed by our 1-year warranty and US-based tech support. If you have any issues with the purchase, just email us and our tech support team will be happy to help.
  • Software: There are quite a few FREE software solutions available. Fusion360, Easel, Carbide create and more! You can find tutorials on our online resource center: https://docs.sainsmart.com

For those that do jump in or are considering it, we run one of the largest support communities for hobby desktop CNC with a focus on Genmitsu series, where you can find project ideas or advice for new bits or upgrades. Please search group SainSmart.GenmitsuCNC on Facebook

Don’t forget your accessories and materials. We are offering a limited-time 15% off accessory and material sale for all Wooters. Use code WOOT15

3 Likes

Thanks sainsmart (and OP)! I have been thinking of trying a CNC router but have been hesitant due to my lack of knowledge. Your resource center and facebook group convinced me I can do this. Order placed!

Bill

1 Like

Can I attach my James Bond doll to this and pretend I’m Goldfinger?