SainSmart Soldering Iron or Rechargeable Screwdriver

SainSmart Soldering Iron or Rechargeable Screwdriver

For decades I swore I’d never go back to a corded soldering iron after using a butane iron.
This soldering iron changed my mind. I have one and I love it. The temperature is rock-solid stable and it’s amazing how much of a difference that makes.
The fact that it’s open-source (hardware and software) and has custom firmware upgrades is really cool too.

I’ve yet to build a portable power-pack for it - still kicking myself for not buying a up some Kobalt 24V battery packs when they were on sale 2 Black-Friday’s ago - they would’ve been perfect.

Also, you can get lots of different tips for them, and they’re pretty cheap.

4 Likes

Where art thou picture show for screwdriver

At least this listing doesn’t have stock photos of models holding the business end of the iron like a pencil. :joy:

4 Likes

You must mean this-

Safety glasses, important tip for safe soldering.

10 Likes

Maybe if the screwdriver was $20 and the soldering iron was $20 - like the cost to make the soldering iron - a thousand companies make the same thing with the open source board - and there’s always something that messes up - I still have the pen version - but the display is jumbled like a broken digital clock and it just never worked right - So buyer beware! BUT not all is lost with that tech! I ordered this on Amazon March 26, 2019 and I use it almost every single day. I’ve not had a single issue with it. The same open source hardware and programming as the all in one pen version. Now the pen version is portable - but so is this when an inverter I can hook up to my car battery. And I paid $56.00 (it’s now like $65 or something) - the pen version I paid like $90 for a couple of years ago. The screwdriver looks fun and interesting but the gears - even in the newer version, the ES121 (This one is the ES120) the gears both are terrible - If you lock-tite anything - you’ll strip the teeth off the gears. (the updated ES120 should have the same gears as the ES121) - But to each their own! Just giving my opinion - hopefully it helps! Oh and the soldering iron is not wireless. - Issue with the pen version of the soldering iron - it gets too hot and the board is Right THERE. The one I have linked - everything electronic is in the box - you need a cord connected to the soldering iron reguardless. May as well go the better route IMO.

Soldering Iron station Kit,including Digital portable Soldering station Temperature Controller 72W With 2 pcs t12 Tips,1 pcs Solder Wire.

1 Like

I do not have any first hand experience with this model of Soldering Iron. But what i can tell you is this is a re-branding of the TS100 Soldering Iron. I’ve read good reviews about it but dont know if the price is a great deal or not.

2 Likes

Bought this exact model soldering iron from the mothership a little over a year ago. It has worked very well for me and I am very happy with it. It is especially great for working on the car. It get plenty hot enough for medium sized jobs and combined with a battery pack it is almost as portable as my old butane powered model. Only gripe here it the price. When I bought mine it was one sale for $54 on the mothership. And you can get cheaper versions of the exact same thing elsewhere online. This is a normal price for a good item, not a great deal.

2 Likes

For you geeks out there, keep in mind that there’s also the RISC-V powered Pinecil from Pine64 for $24 - https://www.pine64.org/pinecil/

1 Like

Press over the sensor in reversal direction(clockwise) to screw down, on the contary direction to screw up

I really don’t need instructions on the latter

4 Likes

Soldering iron is good. Purchased one about a month ago from woot and have a few TS100 and T12 tipped irons over the years. They are great.

The screw driver sounds interesting, but even at the woot price it doesn’t seem worth it. I will just stick to my cheap wowstick.

Like I need instructions how to screw up…