SakéOne Six-Pack

And I think SakeGuy will agree, that’s all that really matters in the end. :slight_smile:

It must be fate. Right after I run out of my last delicious bottle of SakeOne, more comes. 2 bottles of Nigori sake! Count me in, and youc an probably count my friend Dan in too!

I was REALLY hoping for sake this week, but -six- bottles? More than I can spend this week.

Here is a great Saké FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) somebody put together just the other day:

Saké FAQ

Aw, no shipping to GA? Come on, dude!

I had the distinct pleasure of playing the lab rat for the organic unfiltered sake. Please take a look at those reviews and know that these are excellent and crisp to the last drop. The lemon grass and coconut infused sake was also part of a previous Woot.wine offering and while it was not my favorite of the variety pack, it was a hit with my girlfriend in saketinis. The smaller size will let you and a friend or two enjoy sake with a meal without the guilt of leftovers no matter how delicious. With spring around the corner this would be the perfect complement to an Asian BBQ.

Seeing as I currently have seven bottles of sake sitting around (all from woot!), I don’t really think I should buy this one. But if you’re hesitating, get it! I haven’t had a bad sake from these folks yet.

Sake Crew:

I’ve tried sake before, and don’t know much about it other than it comes from fermented rice. What is the “Sake Meter” and what does it measure?

What outcome does the rice polishing or milling have on the end effect of the product? Why 60% for all of these?

With the lemongrass infusion, it states it’s added at the end to keep the flavor, isn’t that akin to what the flavored vodkas do? Is that common with sake to flavor it at the point of bottling?

I second the wanting this in Georgia.

i purchased the sake one sampler in december. this is very tempting, but not sure if the lemongrass flavoring would be tasty…has anyone tried this flavor and be willing to vouch for it worthiness of being wooted? :stuck_out_tongue:

If it were G Joy I’d be in, as its an awesome sake I can’t purchase locally. Most of the other SakeOne varieties I like are available at a local store for nearly the same price, and without having to wait for or pay for shipping.

Have to pass on this one. Wouldn’t mind seeing another offer with G Joy in the future though…

Sake is an Asian fermented beverage made from rice. House sakes are often unpolished, resulting in a rough liquor which is why it is heated: rounding off the edges, if you will. Premium sakes are created by milling the rice so that the outer grain is polished off, leaving only the starchy heart. These grains are then fermented with Koji, a yeast, to yield the rice wine. In a filtered sake, this will then be pressed through a cloth net, resulting in a clear, crisp, sake. For a nigori, or unfiltered, sake, they are also filtered, however some of the sediment is returned before bottling, which gives the sake a full, creamy texture, often richer on the palate.

Premium sake varies greatly on what strain of rice is used as well as how well polished it is. Much like varieties of grapes, certain varieties yield different flavors. The amount of polishing determines if a sake is of ginjo or daiginjo quality, with daiginjo being polished over 50%. Often, sakes are also fermented with other ingredients much like a wine. Also, ethyl alcohol is often added, though if a sake is labeled “junmai,” it is without the added alcohol. Also, there is the nama-zake class of sake which is unpasteurized - this stuff does not keep at all, but tastes wonderful.

Typically, premium sakes are served chilled, however there are a few that are served warm. The ones selling here are all meant to be served chilled.

I’m wrong. :frowning:

Read the post below mine regarding the Sake Meter.

(SakeOne uses a “Sake Meter” to determine the polishing of the Sake.) That’s not true.

Typically, SakeOne sakes are within the top 12% of sakes. 60% means that 60% of the original grain remains. Polishing or milling removes the dirty, outer shell which contains fat and protein, leaving only the starchy center.

Actually, it’s a measure of how sweet or how dry the sake is.

The meter measures from Sweet(-5) to neutral (0) to Dry (5)

The rice used is larger than your typical rice. Exposing more of the soft white core through polishing changes the flavor. The percentage helps to classify the sake into categories where the number I believe represents the amount remaining.
Genmai (100%), Honzo (70%), Ginjo (60%), Daiginjo (50%), Junmai Daiginjo (40%)

I believe Sake One is the first and perhaps the only Sake producer to use infusion. They kind of broke the Sake mold by being the first Sake producer in the US and continued the tradition by trying infusions.

Thanks for the reply, once opened should the bottle should be consumed within a relative short period of time, eg. 2-3 days?

I also only have had the Japanese steakhouse variety sake and found it drinkable but not necessarily 6 bottle Wootable. I could be wrong and this stuff might be amazing but I don’t think I’ll be going for it. I’m waiting for some PNW offerings probably before I Woot again.

Oops, you’re right. I’m thinking of the meter that Vine Connections uses on their sakes. The SakeOne meter measures the SMV of the sake. Dry sakes get a positive SMV, sweet ones negative.

This stuff is GRRRREAT, bought a three pack last time Woot offered SakeOne and I have greatly enjoyed drinking it. If I wasn’t a little low on cash (and if I didn’t already have some Sake in the house) I’d definitely buy again. Whether you drink Sake often or you’d just like to give it a shot for the first time, SakeOne is a fine choice. You won’t be disappointed.

I’ve heard up to a week, but I usually kill it in less time. Sake does not age well in the bottle and oxidizes faster than wines once opened.