Samsung 11.6" Dual-Core Chromebook (S&D)

Samsung 11.6" Dual-Core Chromebook (S&D)

WARNING - DO NOT BUY

Device went End of Life in 2018; this means no more security updates / bug fixes / etc will be released for this device. If you are looking for a Chromebook that will “just work”, this is not what you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for a Chromebook to tinker with and know what you’re doing, carry on.

Screen resolution isn’t the greatest, but is what it is at this price point.

Woot Staff: The End Of Life date should be at the top of the specs; it’s the single most important spec when buying a Chromebook ESPECIALLY considering Chrome based devices have a limited update lifetime.

11 Likes

Came here to emphasize the same thing. It is surprising the green crowd hasn’t gone after Google for building planned obsolescent laptops in the Chromebook. Doesn’t Google itself hold up that mantle?

Landfill material.

To those folks who will claim Microsoft ends support as well, yes they do, on the operating system, not the hardware. But we’ve got (originally Windows Vista/7/8) machines that are 10+ years old running the latest Windows 10 perfectly acceptably.

3 Likes

THIS. We’ve been asking for this for a long time now, Woot Staff. I’m glad you finally started putting it on the features page, but it definitely needs to be at the top, perhaps even in the pretty yellow box that talks about wear and tear. Having it at the bottom (or on the specs page as you used to do) will only ever lead to disappointed customers.

3 Likes

Thank you for this; sometimes I sometimes wondered if I was just the epitome of “old man yells at cloud” every time I posted this.

Maybe someday when Woot is more concerned with it’s shoppers and not profits they’ll actually put the EoL date at the top.

I think the problem is that many many MANY people don’t know these things have a ‘shelf life’ and continue to use them LOOOOONG after they go EoL.

If you “know what you’re doing” (eg don’t do anything personal on the device / use it solely to stream music / etc) you can certainly squeeze a few more years out of it after it’s ‘death date’. Most people don’t, and continue to use a machine that has more security holes as time goes by.

If Google were serious about this, they’d make 10 years mandatory. Or put the EoL date on the box in big letters so you know what you’re getting yourself in to. It’d be like buying food without an expiration (not a "best buy) date.

Yep. Just like there are still lots of people running Windows XP and 7. Playing with fire.

1 Like