Samsung 12MP Digital Camera with 15x Optical Zoom & Schneider Lens

Fixed the link above…

Another link with the specs…
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Samsung/samsung_hz30w.asp

When looking for camera reviews, specs and opinions I always visit DP review.

To some of the things stated above…

About the view finder:
This isn’t that type of camera. It’s a point and shoot. smaller and more compact than most with a view finder. It’s designed to be put in a pocket or purse and taken along.

Is it better than Zeiss optics:
No, there aren’t many things that are up to the quality / standards of Zeiss. Just below or equal to Zeiss optics I would put Leica.

That being said, Schneider makes fair optics. After all this (even at the new price) is a mid priced & mid sized camera. It’s a fair lens for this price.

It’s not overly large so that is why it is f3.2 at 24mm. It is a little surprising it only goes to f5.8

Seems to be an average camera that most point and shoot folks would get good use from. The price seems about what it should be for a refurb.

Zoomed out, the lens is a 24mm which is, technically, a wide-angle. Realistically, it’s a pretty darn good wide-angle range for a point-and-shoot.

Megapixels Chart

The Megapixel Myth

How Many Megapixels does my Digital Camera Need?

How to buy Digital Cameras

Tips for Using a Point & Shoot Camera

Get the Most from Your Point-and-Shoot Camera

Macro Photography Tips for Point and Shoot Digital Cameras

How to Take Great Action Pictures

Sample pics

@mechno: I agree. I’m really dismayed at how few new cameras have optical viewfinders. Very sad.

Got mine, but I am sad, so very sad, now that Woot is owned by Amazon, I get dinged for tax.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Use the TAXSUCKS coupon code and get free shipping.

Yes, it’s a shame that this new arrangement has forced you to live by the laws of the land in which you choose to live. Tragic, really.

I always paid tax at Woot as they are in Carrollton, TX. I’m hoping that adding woot to Amazon didn’t make it the other way around and now I pay tax on Amazon purchases.

Does anyone have sample pictures from this camera?

I am debating between this and the Nikon s4000.

Opinions?

Would it mute the mic while zooming during recording video? Because my Samsung SL720 does and it is really annoying.

View Samsung HZ35W Review Samples from DPReview.

Same camera but with a GPS.

I’ve owned this versatile little super-zoom since the day it hit the market, and can honestly say: This Is One Awesome Woot!

Amazon has a distribution center in Fort Worth so Woot isn’t going to make a difference in Texas.

This camera is the little brother of HZ35W, which has an added feature of GPS geotagging; everything else seems to be identical.

HZ35W is recommended by dpreview as one of the best “travel zoom” cameras to take along: Compact Camera Group Test: Travel Zooms: Digital Photography Review. So I suppose it’s a good camera.

Kinda depends on what your going to use it for. The S4000 is a 4x zoom and this is 15x zoom. The nikon is probably a better camera, but is 4x enough for what your going to use it for?

Not at all with the HZ30W given its very good image stabilization.

Does anyone know why I would be paying sales tax on this woot? My billing address is Missouri, and being shipped to Washington. I’ve never paid sales tax on Woot before, and I didn’t think Samsung was based out of either. Any ideas?

Ahhhhh - I almost pulled the trigger but repeated questionable reports on grainy photos despite the 15MP overcame the wide angle lens

the “35” model has the GPS
this is the “30” model, which does not …

which sorta 'splains not mentioning it in the write-up …

but 15X optical zoom … and pocket size…
oh SO tempting … a more-handy take-along than my DSLR … or my 5X pocket Kodak or Fuji …
Get The Behind me, Oh Tempting WOOT!!!

(grumble missed the BOC … whimper… even after I did a nice review of WOOT on the air…)