Samsung 15.3” Quad-Core i7 Laptop with WiDi, WiMAX, Blu-ray & HD LED Display

high res screen typically cost about 100-150 more than the low res counterpart

Previous Woot!

+1

To that end, what’s wrong with a centered actual keyboard. How much time as a percentage do people use a number pad anyway? with a desktop machine I can move the keys to be centered, not on a notebook.

how dare they lower the price so soon and in non-woot-off form! I have to look at this lower price for 24 Hours??? MADNESS!!!

The resolution is a little low for a 15". Both of those apps love screen area. 1366x768 should feel cramped as you try to fit your keyframed video timeline, assets, effects, monitors, scopes, etc all on the same screen. Just for comparison (I’m not saying you should buy this), the high end MacBook Pro 15" has an option for a 1680x1050 screen.

1680x1050 is 1.76 megapixels, while 1366x768 is nearly just half the screen real estate, both on a 15" laptop.

As far as 5400RPM, tell me what the throughput of the drive is. RPM doesn’t tell you that. A data-dense 5400 can keep up with an older 7200.

I bought the I5 version of this for $500 on Woot about a month ago. I wanted the Samsung because the lid and keyboard top are made of aluminum as opposed to plastic. Feels a lot like a MAC and I really wanted something that did not flex when I put pressure on it. Just makes it feel more rugged.

PC is great. Only issue is that the fans in the Samsung’s are pretty loud. I only hear them when on an AC outlet (plugged in). When running on battery only the loud fans get much quieter. So since the battery life is pretty good (5 hrs or so) I have no real complaints.

I7 with a Blue ray would have been a tough decision for the extra though. Still I love the aluminum lid and case.

How many places actually use (802.16e)? Most of the time I see (802.11a/b/g/n) and is 300 Mbps bandwidth over Wi–Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) a noticiable improvement to most laptops?

It’s not that 720p (768 rows) is too low for video playback on the 15" monitor, it’s that 768 rows of resolution on a 15" monitor means the pixel density is too low, and text is going to look HUGE. I have 1366x768 resolution on an 11.6" laptop at home, and on a 13.3" laptop at work. Having the same resolution on a 15" screen is just too low. I’m not blind, I don’t need giant default fonts and icons. Throw a 1600x900 pixel resolution on these 15" screens, and they’d be much better.

I’m sorry, but if you buy this laptop, you really need to learn more about computers.
first of, you can get a better laptop for the same price elsewhere, second, no you cant game on it and games will look crappy unless you play 10 year old games, you cant realy mod this laptop to be better. If you want to game then this wont work, if you want to just do work/school stuff then this is too high of a price for a simple laptop. Crappy resolution, crappy gpu, with 6gb ram and quadcore i7 2ghz is useless. Sorry woot.

I have a 23.5" name brand (HP) monitor running at 720p and it looks great, no more eye strain than than the 17" CRT it replaced.

What if i just want an i7? you cant get that for much cheaper

Amen, plus a blu-ray player? I think this computer is pretty snappy. I just wish there weren’t so many people apologizing to me for buying it.

I always picked the 5400rpm hard drive for laptop if I could choose between 5400 and 7200, even when I bought new ones to replace the old ones.

5400rpm consumes less power compared to 7200rpm of the same series, so the laptop gets longer battery time which is important to many laptop users.

5400rpm also generates less heat so it’s more comfortable to use and the fan won’t go into “jet engine” mode as often.

Only if the work involves a lot of disk loading, e.g. video processing, the difference between 5400 and 7200 is significant.

However, I have to say 1366x768 is very low for a 15". Even my 12" Dell and HP got 1280x800 (though I connect it to a 27" to use when at home)
I guess the audience of this laptop is for old people who need everything look bigger.

if you want an i7 for fun and no use then i don’t see why buying this laptop is a bad idea :smiley:

And they continue to insist that 1366 x 768 is “HD”. Nevermind that any movies played on the internal Blue-ray drive will be in 1920x1080, and will only show half the detail.

If only there was a way to search the Internet, and perhaps an online encyclopedia…

CPU Benchmarks from PassMark

I’d appreciate a 15" laptop with higher screen resolution than a 4" cell phone.

Woooooo, shiny. Must buy. :slight_smile:

So…what are we supposed to look for then?