Samsung 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

And people were complaining about woot losing it’s ways because they have more than one type of deal now…

I know. Don’t they know that the foundation of our business will still be refurbished laptops, robotic vacuums, Dysons, and cameras? I mean, come on!

Anyone have a review link that speaks about the battery life under web browsing and other light use?

Wow - this is unusual these days…

“In the box:
[]Samsung NP305V5A-A09US Quad-Core Laptop with 15.6" LED Display
[
]6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
[]AC Adapter
[
]User Guide
[*]System Recovery DVD-ROM” <–

buddy don’t knock it I am still waiting for the deal I missed to roll around again

I’ve been waiting for a decent laptop like this for a while, but would it be wiser for me to wait it out a little longer for a laptop with USB 3.0?

Compared to your R580, this laptop’s GPU is about 50% faster. In other words, it’ll be able to play any games you currently play on your R580, but don’t expect much more out of it.

Bottom line, it’ll run most of today’s games, but it’ll struggle to get playable frame rates even on the lowest settings for just about any demanding 3D title.

If you’re looking for something decent for light gaming in this price range, I recommend you check out Lenovo’s Z575 with Radeon HD 6650M. It’s an excellent laptop and less than $500.

Acer’s AS7560G-7622 is a tiny bit more expensive than that, but has the HD 7670M (basically identical to the 6650M) and a higher resolution screen.

Don’t forget about the infamous Michael Chichlets

The reason why you don’t see intel laptops is because intel processors are comparatively expensive, And the AMD AX series rocks the socks of everything but the i7.

The A6 3430/Radeon 6520G chip is a middling take in the series- it’s not too fancy, but you’ll pull 20-30 frames in Org/SW. (yes, my benchmark is WoW.)

I’ve got an A8/6620G- it’s supposedly capable of 3D TV and the like, but I can’t be bothered with that kind of thing personally. I’ve had no complaints so far.

Frankly, the integrated graphics cards they’re sticking in the new laptops are surprisingly robust, and if you can settle for not-ultra settings, are excellent for a budget or on-the-go gaming.

The big thing here is the 6 gigs of RAM at a less-than-$500 price point. It’s not impossible to find, or even all that rare, but when you’re dealing with integrated chips, those extra few gigs start to matter.

The screen resolution is standard for the screen size- which is to say occasionally way too small. I’ve had some irritation dealing with windows that don’t remember what size they were when last opened, and are in fact larger than the screen (League of Legends being the most notorious offender). It’s not a really serious issue, but it is distraction.

Now, the big problem- if you’re like me, you leave your laptop plugged in most of the time, so it’s not a problem at all, but for that guy who was asking about it- You’re not going to get the most stellar battery life out of a 6-cell.

Probably two or three hours of intensive gaming, or six (wifi) to eight (wifi off) on minimal settings.

It’s pretty standard in that regard, to be honest.

You could do a lot worse than samsung as a company- either their products work really well or not at all, and then they’re usually happy to keep sending you more until it sticks.

EDIT: In regards to the keyboard spacing with then tenkey- I’ve got a nearly identical setup and have found it to be actually very usable. I think the trick is to slim down the key size and put some space in between them.

The 5400 rpm drive also gives you nearly 8 less chances per second for the heads to scratch the spinning drive platter causing possible data loss as a result of inevitable bumps or other trauma when spinning at 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm.

I purchased a Samsung NP305V5A-AOC (4Gb memory not the 6Gb in today’s WOOT) from the evil Wallyworld last Saturday.
They had it listed at $348.98 site to store.

I went to the nearest brick and mortar to pay and the associate there informed me that he had taken the display down the day before.
After examining it and finding the only flaw was that the literature was missing I inquired of the Assistant Manager if there could be a discount made from the advertised price. It was a display unit and the papers were missing after all.
He wanted to see the online ad and as I had already pulled up the ad to make the purchase I had it readily available.
I showed him the web ad on my smart phone and hoping for a $20.00 or thereabouts discount I was happily granted a further $50.00 off the advertised price.
I was out the door with it For $321.00 including the 7% tax here.

Using the installed restore feature I was able to return the display model to factory settings in less than a ½ hour.

Man does this suck, I am really in the market for a nice laptop and all they keep advertising are just beefed up calculators, come on woot how about something with some power.

How could you forget the Sansas and Leakfrogs?

WAY too expansive for a computer with AMD chip and this heavy and thick!

I want to meet this woman!

At least it isn’t another Roomba…

I wanted to leave some things for you to add, of course.

:tongue:

Do you have links to a better,thinner,lighter laptop for a lower price? Please post.

A better place to post those would be on Deals.Woot. :slight_smile:

When you google something up in passmark it will compare it to those processors. CowboyDann did not pick those other processors as benchmarks, they just default there.