Samsung 28" 4K LED-backlit Monitor

This is a very incomplete answer, in hopes someone else might be more helpful.

Woot has not yet verified the model.

I understand that most Intel integrated video will support 4K over DisplayPort but not HDMI, but I have not tried either.

Text size in 4K will actually be 1/4 the size of 1080p - half the size horizontally and half vertically. It’s considered half the size, but it depends on how you, uh, look at it.

If you increase the display size using the Windows display control panel (“Change the size of text, apps, and other items”), some things will scale it smoothly and others won’t - it depends on the program.

I’m trying right now. On my work computer, Windows does a good job of scaling text and icons for the title bars and taskbar so that they are smoother. But none of the programs I tried - not even Windows Explorer - actually scaled anything; they just had it bigger. But the quality might improve on restarting the computer.

I bought this about 5 to 6 weeks ago from woot. I have a gtx 970 as well. works like a dream, 60 hz with a display port. fallout 4/rise of tomb raider have never looked better

I purchased both the D and E from Woot. Woot advertised them both correctly. I ordered the D about 1yr ago (paid like $399) and then I ordered the E about 3 months ago (paid like $369). If I recall they did use the same image for that sale too. But I definitely got the E.

MW, thanks. very helpful. So would I be correct that if I want the font size to be the same, that I will be just as well off having a (cheaper) 28" 1080p monitor that will not require a new card, and maybe avoiding scaling issues? Or would there be some clear advantage to the 4K making it worth the additional cost and challenges (scaling, other?)

I am making a point of this so that NON-GAMING folks like me will not rush in to buy a 4K mon thinking it will be a big improvement over 1080p (unless the above is incorrect). TIA.

1080p fonts will look bigger as the monitor gets bigger. 4K allows you to put more on your screen and the fonts will stay roughly the same size, maybe smaller, as a 1080p 22" monitor. I have a 2.7k(1440p) at home and work and it’s hard to go back. You can actually have two spreadsheets side by side on my monitor and it’s harder to do on 1080p. Price is definitely worth it if you want a nice monitor for work. Just make sure you have display port. I would get one but my wife already thinks I have a monitor problem.

Confirmed this to be the E model

in for one. Going to run next to a 27" WQHD off my Mac Pro. All for half the price of that Thunderbolt monitor.

It’s tempting to pick up 2. I wish it had a VESA mount.

Worst case, the text size and quality will be the same using this scaled to 200% than if it were native 1080p. For anything that does scale correctly, it will be notably better.

Besides, this is a great display anyway - very good color, very good brightness - perhaps not as good as IPS, but you’ll have a hard time finding a 1080p IPS display at this price either.

But you may find that you get used to the 4K native resolution.

Go to Amazon. The VESA conversion bracket is $31.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Monitors-U28D590D-S27D590P-S24D590PL/dp/B00Z8WYDIU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454513958&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=samsung+u28e590+VESA

It does have VESA mounting holes. Agnew verified that this is the E model, which has VESA mounting holes. The picture is wrong.

Tell her you saved $1147. You saved an extra $10 because you bought 3.

Can I feed a Chromecast into this?

I currently have a Dell U2312HM IPS monitor (1920 x 1080) for my home desktop using an HD 6800 card (has DisplayPort connections). Will I see a discernible improvement with this monitor? I’d like to give my current IPS to my in laws, but only if this upgrade makes sense-

Thanks

Even better, they updated the pics too.

Going from 23" to 28", and from 1080p to 4K? I think there will be a “discernible” improvement.

The IPS will likely have better viewing angles, and maybe a hair more brightness or “accuracy” if you’re doing pro work (and both are just “maybe”), but this is likely otherwise equal or better in every way.

Thank you-

Currently borrowing the U28D590D version (prior model) from a friend to see if my HD 6900’s can handle it.

While they don’t support the full 3840x2160 resolution, coding and gaming at the GPU-supported 2560x1440 is a noticeable improvement…and still looks awesome on the monitor.

I bought this monitor the last time it was for sale and didn’t realize until much later that the built-in speakers don’t work. It’s far too late to get a resolution from Woot or even Samsung without even more out-of-pocket expense. It’s really ridiculous and should make you think twice about purchasing.

This doesn’t have built-in speakers. Neither model does. It has a 1/8" audio jack, but that’s output, so you can connect speakers if you want to, feeding from HDMI or DisplayPort.