Samsung 28" 4K LED-backlit Monitor

Buyer says “The previous generation needed an adapter. This generation does not; it’s VESA 75 x 75”.

I got spoiled with my old IPS monitor… I’ll never go back to TN.

I bought the U28-D-590D monitor here a few months back, and loved it. This one today is a U28-E-590D, not D, whatever that difference is, but I can say I have no regrets. The 4k rez is so much cleaner than my HD monitor, I was really shocked.

No USB ports

Since this display employs FreeSync I would recommend an AMD card. For 4K gaming you’d need a minimum of 2 r9 390s or 1-2 Fury or FuryXs

I only have IPS monitors now too, except for one…

They do have their perks, but for the ultimate in responsiveness for gaming, and even for colour reproduction, IPS is not the best tech by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, there are gaming IPS panels (BenQ, Acer, and Asus make some fantastic models), and many (semi)professional monitors, like the Dell UltraSharp series, have almost all moved to IPS-like panels with some spectacular results in colour.

However, there are downsides to be considered with IPS too, that can easily be overcome by switching to another panel type… (@bek: Sorry, this is no longer a response to you, but a general info entry for others)

IPS Pros vs Cons (as compared to other panel tech):

• Pro - wide viewing angles without significant washout in colour, or contrast. TN will wash out very quickly if you even move your head a few inches off center, particularly up or down. TN is still relatively forgiving for minor side-to-side motion, but whatever you do, don’t look at it from too far above or below that sweet spot!
  • Pro - Efficiency, especially when calibrated, is better than many other techs in use. The use of W-LED backlights allows lower power consumption, while simultaneously allowing thinner panels.
  • Pro (sort of) - Colour reproduction CAN BE excellent, but that depends entirely on the quality of the panel, and the optimisations done by the monitor manufacturer. For instance, a Dell may use the same panel, sourced from LG, as Acer, but the Dell may have better gamma and greyscale tracking, whereas the overdrive for the Acer may allow faster pixel response without overshoot, but not be as well tuned for colour accuracy. Not many panels inherently have an advantage here, since it lies mostly in manufacturers’ hands, but I’d still give the nod to OLED for colour, due to its native lack of inaccurate backlighting to limit colour reproduction (the most common LCD backlights were CCFL, then the current variations of W-LED, and the best screens now use GB-r-LED, which allows for a broader palette). Either way, without paying close to $1000+, you won’t see much that can produce much more than 99% sRGB, and under 80% of the Adobe RGB gamut.
  • Con - Pixel responsiveness is traditionally extraordinarily poor in IPS, and many of its sibling technologies. Even if an IPS monitor says that it’s 100Hz, 120Hz, or even 144Hz, it will have noticeably more ghosting and blurring than TN because it takes the pixels longer to get from grey-to-black-to-grey. Even from a 144Hz IPS panel to a 144Hz TN, the difference is significant. They are inherently slow than TN, so the fastest gaming monitors continue to be TN. This trend is changing as we see more overdrive application within IPS, and slight modifications within variations (AH-IPS, VA, AHVA, AMVA). Also, increased refresh rates, almost exclusive to gaming monitors, have brought that latency in the grey-to-grey transition down somewhat for IPS, but still slower than TN by a significant margin.
  • Con - Perhaps the worst offender is “IPS Glow”, which is very often confused with backlight bleed (Glow is simply the fact that IPS panels have a certain amount of light that is transmitted through the panel at all times, even when it’s supposed to be “black”, whereas bleed is when part of the backlight is mounted unevenly, compared to the LCD panel in front, and you end up with one edge or corner that has light bleeding around the frame). This is an almost undeniably truth of living with IPS, and most find it a negligible or acceptable compromise. And some IPS-offspring technologies, like VA panels, can minimise that effect to such an extraordinary amount as to “beat” out TN. However, this only applies to a very small subset of IPS-like monitors; They are very few, and far between.

TL:DR:
TN is not dead, by any stretch of the imagination. They still offer similar capabilities in colour reproduction, contrast, and overall picture. And they’re often MUCH cheaper than their IPS counterparts, as in this case, where a comparable IPS model would be about $200 more. They’re also still the kings of the gaming world because of significantly better pixel response speed, and as this monitor is FreeSync capable, it is squarely targeted at a gaming-interested crowd. If you don’t need wide viewing angles, and want to avoid the extra cost, and IPS glow (and arguably greater potential for backlight bleed), then this will do fine, as would many TN panels. But just be aware that each technology has its strengths and weaknesses, and choose according to your usage scenario.

The main differences: The E supports HDMI 2.0 for 60Hz over HDMI, it has VESA mounting holes rather than needing an adapter, and it supports AMD’s FreeSync that can adjust the refresh rate to match the card’s processing speed.

Those are some pretty significant feature improvements for a D to E. If only it was g-sync I’d snap one up.

I purchased this monitor last time and then went out and got the Radeon R9 390 and the combo works great.

What is your current setup? a lot of the built-in chipsets on newer computers will do 4k. It won’t be good for gaming, but they work well for everyday stuff and youtube.

One i can name for a fact, because i set these up at work - is the intel HD chipset, integrated in most lenovos. As long as it’s the 2013 or newer version of the intel integrated graphics, it’ll do 4k pretty well.

Mine has 1 dead pixel but I plan to keep it. The colors are great and the high resolution is awesome.

EDIT: Wrong sale, disregard–