Samsung 28" 4K LED-backlit Monitor

I hope there is a way to verify it has it. That would be a nice bonus for me.

Previous discussion where it’s discussed

Got one of these the last time it came up.

-YES, it comes with a DP cable. But a non-locking one (the thumb-tab is fake, no mechanical restraint pips). Also comes with an HDMI cable.

-Gaming is GORGEOUS on it. I’m used to 60hz though. No ghosting noted, but if your eyeballs are used to/demand 144hz-land, YMMV. (Seriously, Ori and the Blind Forest is even more AMAZING in 4K)

-It has VESA mount holes. It’s offset from center though, and weird. You’ll want a VESA arm too; the stand sucks and is wobbly as heck. Almost no vertical tilt.

-DisplayPort unfortunately sees the monitor ‘disconnect’ any time I power it off (including powersaver mode after X minutes), and it scrambles my other displays’ icons and windows. Some monitors have ‘DDC/CI’ control to prevent this; this one doesn’t, according to Samsung support.

Now for the BIG down side.
Mine died within a week of getting it. I got a crappy, damaged power supply. The barrel connector didn’t fit quite right, it got so hot the rubber insulation got soft, and ended up not turning on unless I held it in a specific direction (bad contact).

That’d be OK though, easy fix, new adapter. Right? WRONG. Samsung spent the better part of a MONTH insisting EVERY WAY POSSIBLE that my monitor was NOT under warranty.
I finally escalated to their corporate contact division after having to BROWBEAT them into finally admitting the warranty was valid (and then being told it wasn’t again, the next day).

Can’t just send the power supply though, have to ship the whole thing. Still have the packaging, as it’s been only a few days.

Then the warranty repair center emailed me to tell me it was out-of-warranty and would be a $150 repair. More browbeating commenced, and they accepted it finally. Only to get an email from Samsung restating it was ‘out of warranty, but a one-time accommodation is being made’. REALLY?!

Fast forward, and I end up receiving an ENORMOUS box back. They didn’t bother to take off the stand and repack it in the original packing mats, but instead packed it with-stand with jury-rigged, chopped-up styrofoam on the corners, and some forlorn pieces of bubblewrap tossed in like they just had it laying around and wanted it gone, doing nothing.

On the up side, it works again now. But I won’t be buying Samsung in the future.

(edit) Oh, and it was the power supply after all. They gave me back an underpowered one for a different model monitor, but it does work. For now. I don’t want to go through another month of teeth-pulling hassle just to get the actual right part.

Alright! Thanks you just saved me $300. I appreciate it. Too much money not to have a warranty honored.

Oh, it was. Kind of. Eventually. With literal weeks of arm-twisting. But yeah, Samsung needs to take a crash course in customer service and coordination.

But it’s a great monitor when it works! :smiley:

That cable goes in the wrong direction. It’s DisplayPort from the card to DVI monitor. I need the opposite.

I did a little research myself and you’re absolutely right. The best I can do with this card is HDMI 1.4b @30 Hz.

EXTREMELY disappointed!! I just now (15 minutes ago) got my monitor from FedEx. Something was jiggling inside which you never hear unless something is wrong.

One of the Base Mount screws was floating around because the insert that it screws into was completely missing. You can also see that this unit was used by the screw impressions left behind.
Someone knew at the “factory” that this was a problem and just threw the screw in.
Not sure what to do next. Can’t use it (mount it) the way it is.

Bummed bigtime.

Oh man, that’s no good! I’m really sorry about that. If you haven’t already, please use the Support Form linked at the top of the page to contact customer support for assistance. Pro tip: a photo of this situation will help them a lot.

Thanks! I did as you said but could not find a way to attach a .jpg of the problem. I mentioned that in my complaint.
… the second time after reading your post. How do I know if someone is looking into it?
How do I send photos of the defect?

You can upload the photo to imgur.com and send that link to our customer service. Hope that helps.

Just got mine, and it has this really weird banding / burn-in thing going on. Not sure if it’s my configuration or what - this is the first 4k monitor I’ve ever had.

Anyone ever experienced this?

Still no response from Customer Service. I sent another email via support. Maybe this one they’ll answer. I’m not accepting this and want to return it. It even looks used. For $95 more I can buy it brand new direct from Samsung with a full warranty which I’ve decided to do now that I’ve seen the Woot “refurbished” one.

Update: Customer service emailed me with an RMA just now. Now to pack it up and find a FedEx dropoff. sigh. 1st Woot I can think of that came through like this. Waste of time and effort.

Again, I’m really sorry you’ve had to go through this. I’m glad CS got back to you today and that it will all be resolved soon.

Yeah, no configuration seems to work. I went through Samsung Live Chat and they think it’s probably defective.

I’m now 0/2 on buying monitors through Woot. Such garbage.

You can get this same monitor brand new with a full warranty for $399.99 with free shipping direct from Samsung which equates to shelling out only $95.00 more than these used ones.

Thank you. I’ve been buying from Woot for quite a while and don’t recall something like this happening. Even the packaging isn’t right for the monitor. The styrofoam inserts for the pieces are way larger than the parts. And to have it come in this way, obviously broken but certified “refurbished” doesn’t give me much faith in buying a refurbished product again.

Hey there, have you reached out to Woot’s Customer Service team about this issue? If you haven’t already, please use the Support Form linked at the top of the page to contact customer support for assistance. If the monitor is defective they should be able to help you out.

Keep in mind that our CS folks might take a day or so to get back to you (maybe even ~48 hours because it’s the weekend)and sometimes our communications get caught in people’s Spam folders. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

Hoo boy, it sounds like this was just a mess from start to finish. I completely understand if you have a healthy skepticism about buying refurbished products in the future. Some people seem to never have any issues with it, but experiences like yours can certainly turn people off referbs as a whole.

All that aside though- I hope you enjoy your weekend!

Good news! My brother who repairs electronics for a living came by and fixed the stand for me. I set it up and it seems to be working fine so I’m going to cancel my RMA. Thanks for your help.