Samsung 46" 1080p LCD or LED HDTV

We have worked with our vendors to improve the packing around these larger TVs and have been having good luck with recent sales. As always, if you have any problems, email service@woot.com for assistance.

The current (on the shelf, retail) model of the LED 6000 series has dropped to 2 (!!) HDMI ports and loses the SMART features. Sure, a few specs have improved, but I can’t SEE the difference. Shhh. . .

Only my wallet will know. . .

I wonder what your source is for this… and wonder how many years you would have to run a tv that’s slightly cheaper to maintain to recoup the extra money paid. LED is better for power and video quality, but I don’t think it ends up being cheaper at all unless you have the same tv for a long time.

Is there any mention of wifi built in or enabled? Or is this one you need to have a dongle for on either version?

Requires a LinkStick -$50

UN46EH6000 Is this year’s model of the Led set. Better reviews on Amazon and $763.53 brand new. I think it’s a better value for a little extra money to get a newer model with a factory warranty. Edit: just saw the newer model loses the built-in apps to bring the price down. I don’t need it, because I have media center extenders, but it might be something you can’t live without.

Does anyone know the Hz on these models? And not the clear motion rate. I’ve been reading those numbers are inflated. My guess these are 60hz but I can find it in the specs.

Amazon says 120Hz refresh, but Samsung doesn’t release refresh rate in their specs anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you, I needed that info. I’m waiting for something at or above the 7000 series.

So true. I have a true LED monitor at work. They are very expensive and are just for the broadcast/video production market now. Since the true LED market share will grow and they will eventually replace LCDs we should stop calling LCDs “LEDs” NOW. Otherwise, we will end up with a marketing genius naming battle with goofy names like Dimensia or Colortrak2000. Both were RCA models.

Can anyone comment if these screens are prone to getting a glare on them? Currently I have a plasma and the glare is rough during the day

This is a great TV. I have the LED version. But if woot is sending this from purfect refurbs company dont buy it. They suck!!! I got a TV from them it didn’t work from the second I got it. I had to pay for shipping to send it back. They sent it back and it was packed poorly and the TV was damaged on the frame and it still wasn’t fixed. It was doing the same thing it was when I send it back the first time.

Not really.

They don’t have these exact models, but lets compare the Samsung LN46A950 (LED) to the Samsung LN46A750 (CCFL), both are 46 inch panels. Out of the box, the CCFL display measured 184 watts, while the LED display measured 145. That’s a difference of $8.41 per year. At that rate, it will take 22 years to pay off the difference. (Assuming today’s Woot models have similar usage) That’s IF you don’t calibrate it either. Their calibrated figure actually places the CCFL wattage lower than the LED model.

FYI according to live chat on Samsungs website, both of these models have glossy screens so glare is more likely

No, normally you would see whether the product was edge-lit or back-lit. The product specs on Woot don’t indicate this, but kuma99’s post indicates that it is a back-lit TV (which is better than edge-lit, even illumination, saturation, contrast, etc).

LCD: Model LN46C530F1FXZA
LED: Model UN46D6000SFXZA
It is listed under Specs tab.

Is it me, or do LED TV pictures look funny? I had a Samsung LCD and recently got a Samsung LED; to me, the LCD looked more life-like, whereas the LED looks like some goofy half-rear-ended quasi-3D picture. For sports the difference isn’t as pronounced as filmed TV shows/movies.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on the LED. We have been shopping around are are sure this is the one we want. The only thing I am unsure about is the refurbished factor. Has anyone bought a refurb from Woot before? Any reassurances? Anyone think it’s not worth the risk?

I saw the one someone mentioned on Amazon, I believe it was ~$769 brand new for a similar model, but that one wasn’t the slim model. :confused:

Sorry, but this is incorrect.

There are actually two properties of the lighting that affect picture quality, Edge-Lit vs Full Array, and whether or not it is Local Dimming.

The LED lit model is Edge-Lit without local dimming, as most LED TV’s are these days. Full array without local dimming will not look any better.

Here is an excellent explanation of the differences, which I will summarize thusly: You get what you pay for.

If you want a full array with local dimming (the best possible screen quality) you will pay at least a grand for it. (See the Sony Bravia and the Vizio XVT 3D Series) The differences between this model and the expensive ones are noticeable, but things like ambient lighting and the paint color on the wall behind the TV will have a far greater affect on your viewing experience.

Don’t buy the a TV for “Samsung Apps”. Samsung Electronics is historically very quick to drop support for last-year’s products, so when Netflix changes their interface in 2013, odds are your 2012 Samsung TV won’t get the update.

For Internety TV, you’ll get more mileage out of $100 spent on a set top box like an Apple TV than spent on features built-in into a television set.