Samsung Digimax L85 8MP Digital Camera

Apparently, this thing takes good “vivid” pictures!
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Digimax-L85-Digital-Optical/dp/B000DZFT1C/sr=8-1/qid=1165644412/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8625316-9640802?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

“One of the most consistent complaints I get from digital camera owners concerns missing crucial shots, whether it is a mom who can’t record her baby’s precious smile or a dad having a hard time capturing his son hitting a baseball. Most times, this happens because of shutter lag, the delay between when you press the shutter release button and the time the shutter actually opens. That’s also one reason I find the Samsung Digimax L85 compact digital camera so disappointing. My tests show it has the worst shutter lag of any camera I’ve tested to date”

–pcmagazine

CNet gives it a score of 7.0. Full review found here:

There’s even a video for those that enjoy seeing stuff move and make noise.

What is the highest MP you can get? 8?

sorry for my stupid question.

~ Chris
Teen Forums Admin

Apparently he didnt get the HP PhotoSmart 735XI 3.2MP Digital Camera with Docking Station offered on 2/17/2005. I bet it kicks this ones butt in shutter lag like Mr. Miyagi with rump-seeking turbo sandals. Theres no WAY this one can be that bad.

CNET REVIEW

“an?”

“10.2MP?” (as if that defines something useful for someone who knows something about cameras)

“Nice?” really? What’s nice about it? It’s just as bag-of-crappy as your magnificent 10.2MP noixe-merchant.

Does anyone know what the shutter lag is on this?

Boat loads of Shutter lag can be good.

For instance, if you spot a dolphin jumping out of the ocean, and you attempt to take a picture of it with your Digimax, but the shutter is so slow that a manatee (Sea Cow, very obese, rather ugly animals) had time to evolve and grow flippers and jump out of the water a few million years after the dolphin…

then that would make for a pretty sweet picture…

If your batteries lasted that long.

Consumer Reports gives it an average rating. Price quoted is $380. They say it has a shutter lag. Better than average print quality.

PC Mag rates this poor

Was this model ever sold in the US? It’s odd that there’s no sign of it here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Samsung/

I was pondering getting this, but after reading several reviews that mention its terrible shutter lag, I’m not going to. I’ve been looking for a mid-level digital camera for several months now, but I haven’t been able to find one that I really liked. I want something that has a user interface that makes sense, that has good manual modes, and that does not have much in the way of shutter lag. A viewfinder (if it actually lines up with what you’re taking a picture of) would be an extra bonus.

Any suggestions?

This certainly looks like the ugliest digital camera on the market…

That’s not a stupid question at all. Especially since the answer keeps changing. You can (theoretically) buy cameras up to 20 MP these days, but they’re not worth the year’s salary they’re charging for them. New technology in the next couple of years is going to make them obsolete, anyway. After 12 MP, it’s pointless. Camera “experts” will tell you otherwise, but they’re just showing off. An 8 or 10 MP camera is a fine film camera replacement.

To each his own. I love the retro look. I am sick of that cheap, crappy, fake silver finish they put on these low-end P&S models, which might as well be disposable in my opinion.

Where’s The Podcast?

i don’t know, but read the pc mag review. it thought the lag was BAD. Great price, bad horrible review. I will pass.
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2010487,00.asp

I did find it here:

No optical viewfinder, you have to use the LCD screen to compose your picture. At 5x zoom, holding it out in front of you makes for a shaky image. You need bright sunlight. Oh wait! You can barely see the screen in bright sunlight!

Where’s my Bandolier of Carrots??

Okay, two questions here… First, the reviews seem to conflict on shutter speed. Anyone have one of these that can comment on the shutter speed? Also, looks like it has a rechargable battery. Expected battery life?