Samsung Galaxy Gear S w/Curved Super AMOLED Display

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Samsung Galaxy Gear S w/Curved Super AMOLED Display
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days. (Tuesday, Mar 22 to Friday, Mar 25) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://electronics.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-gear-s-w-curved-super-amoled-display) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Samsung Galaxy Gear S w/Curved Super AMOLED Display) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Samsung Galaxy Gear S w/Curved Super AMOLED Display)

Amazon Reviews

[youtube=Mpz43c9OXUM][/youtube]

Check out the product page

Decent watch (no camera or IR controller like on the gear2) but the charger breaks very easily. Pick up extras on ebay. NOW. I got 2 generic for $16 after 2 samsung made ones broke.

Anyone know if this works on Sprint?

I saw this on alta vista for cheaper

Which carrier(s) will this work for?

Just a suggestion for anyone considering this as their first smartwatch, do a quick read of the Tizen OS vs. Adroid Wear OS before commiting to a purchase. To be fair I need to disclose I’m an Android Wear user, but my suggestion has nothing to do with advocating either OS. I should also mention I’m a big Samsung fan with both my tablet and phone being Samsung. My comment’s meant for those who may not have given thought to or even been aware different OS’s exist. But since it will determine what functionality is available and is something you will be living with for quite some time, a little research before the purchase can go a long way toward being a happy consumer. Again, just a suggestion.

Is the heartrate sensor technically a camera? I ask because of wear I work; would hate to drop $250 on something I can’t wear.

Do you have a link?

I got one of these the last time Woot had it up, because I didn’t own a watch at all, and I thought “what the hell”? Here are my experiences:

Smart watches are not must-have devices. They don’t really offer any significant functionality over the phone in your pocket, other then being occasionally marginally easier to access than the phone in your pocket.

You don’t need this thing. Don’t convince yourself that you do. ESPECIALLY if you already have a smartwatch and are looking for killer improvements in function. There are none to be had here.

The reason to buy it is because you think it’s cool, looks good, and you already have a cool phone, tablet, laptop and other varied tech fauna, and you’re mad at your dumbwatch for being dumb.

That said, it IS pretty cool and it DOES look pretty good. People will ask you if it’s an Apple watch about 5 times a day, so get a stock answer ready. As long as you set up your notifications properly, you’ll be able to glance at your wrist instead of having to dig your phone out of your pocket to see why it’s trying to get your attention. You can answer texts and emails from your wrist (native phone apps only, no hangouts or gmail) if you can type on the ridiculously tiny keyboard or you can place calls if you want to look like Dick Tracy… but your phone is so much faster and easier to use for these things, that there’s almost zero reason to bother trying.

It comes with a few stock apps, most of which are fairly useless (music player, news briefing, weather), and a few of which are decent (SHealth if you’re a runner or hiker, Find My Device if you lose your phone in the couch cushions, and SVoice lets you do some useful things, like set an alarm without grabbing your phone). The Here app will give you turn-by-turn directions and works well, except that it only does walking navigation- NO driving. I found an interesting app called Camera Controller that allows you to turn on your phone’s video camera remotely and displays the output on your wrist. You can record or take stills with your phone in the other room, and change some settings. The app’s a little buggy, but still kind of neat. I used it to spy on my cat when I was teaching him to use the toilet. Most of the rest of the app store is a collection of different faces you can have show on your screen to tell the time.

In general, most of the super-special advanced features of this particular smartwatch watch are lost on me. Yes, it can take a sim card, and have its own phone number. Seems like a lot of hassle just to stay connected if you leave your phone behind when you go out, but maybe that’s important for some people. The watch will find your phone on the local Wifi network, so if you’re at home or at the gym and your phone is out of BT range, you’re good without springing for a sim card and paying an extra monthly fee.

The basic stuff it does, it does fine, though not spectacularly. It looks good on your wrist. The curved screen is frankly gorgeous. Navigating menus is easy. It syncs notifications with pretty much any app I have on my phone. It turns on to show me the time when I raise my wrist to my face so I don’t have to hit a button. The battery lasts two full days between charges.

One other thing: The charging unit has an internal battery and doubles as a mobile recharging unit which is great, but it’s also fragile as hell, and one of the tabs where it snaps to the watch broke about 3 months after I bought it. I now have to stuff a rolled up sock against it and buckle the band closed to keep it against the contacts if I want to charge the watch. :frowning:

The heart rate monitor is embedded in the underside and is pretty tiny. I don’t think it would qualify as a camera in any technical sense, other than maybe being vaguely photosensitive. Most likely, it’s only sensitive to the IR and near IR spectra.

It can barely perform its intended function with any accuracy… There’s certainly no way to take pictures with it even if it were capable of doing so, since all it can “see” is your wrist (or the inside of the watch band when you’re not wearing it).

I may be an exception, but my watch is a godsend. I’m disabled and, though my right hand works well enough, it’s always holding my platform walker. My left hand doesn’t work well at all but it works well enough to use my watch. I’m also next to deaf and could never hear my smartphone ring and when it vibrates I can’t get it out of my pocket in time to see who’s calling let alone answer it. And even when my good hand is free, I have trouble holding and manipulating my phone.

But my watch has made my smartphone relevant. With a vibration on my wrist I now can see who’s calling and choose to answer or decline. If I choose to accept, I then have whatever time I need to get to my phone and take the call. I now make my phone calls by just saying "OK Google, call … the name of anyone in my contacts. The phone opens, dials and I just have to hold it to my ear or use the speakerphone until the party answers. I read all my emails in their entirety on my watch, compose and send my emails and text messages verbally, open apps like calculator for example by saying “OK Google, open calculator” then verbally speak my calculation. If someone starts to tell me something I want to jot down I merely open my Google Keep app, which is basically a quick way to write a post-it type note, and speak the phone number they’re giving me or whatever. I enter almost all my calendar events and get all my calendar notifications. I’ll get a reminder saying something like “It’s time to leave for your appointment because it will take xx number of minutes to get there because there’s heavy traffic on your preferred route”. And the nice part is I didn’t ask for that, Google saw the appointment in my calendar, got the address for the appointment from my contact app and, based on the drive time and distance it ascertained from Google maps, knew how long it would take me to get there based on current traffic patterns. I do almost everything verbally from setting timers and alarms to getting almost any information I want or need. I have S Voice on my tablet and phone however “OK Google” is so much more useful for verbally getting just about any question answered or getting any information I’m looking for. The remote camera app works flawlessly and by putting my phone on an $8 tripod, I take pictures and videos of me visiting my mother in the nursing home, for example, without having to ask someone to take the pictures, and attach them to emails or hangouts or google+.

Granted, my watch uses a different OS than this one and there are differences in functionality, but the point is any smartwatch can be significantly more valuable to some than others. Again, I may be the exception to the rule but, my watch has enhanced my ability to communicate in ways I never imagined and without which, would not or could not do.

I’m not a mobile networks expert, but as far as I can see, this is the factory unlocked version for the Canadian market, and is GSM/HSDPA only. So, no Sprint, no Verizon, but should be fine on any network that uses SIMs.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t let the carrier issue dissuade you… you’ll get 99% of this thing’s functionality without registering it to a wireless network as long as you have a compatible Samsung phone. It’s not really worth having a watch with its own phone number and wireless connection when it’s still dependent on your phone for installing apps and making most settings changes. It not a standalone wireless device by any stretch.

If you have ATT service, you can get this watch for $199 (and then just cancel the device so no monthly device charge)

I completely agree with this. Tizen is Samsumgs attempt to create their own “Apple” type universe, making an OS that is designed to be compatible only with their hardware. It would be one thing if it had an real advantage over Android wear- but it does not. There are ways to make Tizen compatible with hardware outside of Samsung but the results are not consistent and it’s a pain to install and a headache to maintain. Android wear is a much more responsive platform, that updates frequently and has compatibility across many devices.

$165. @ www.rakuten.com/prod/274926987.html

I have one and I love it. I wear it everyday. I don’t have it connected to a network and I am not sure it’s worth the extra cost to do so.

Note - this is the version for Canadian Carriers. That may be critical to some buyers.

SM-R750W: Canadian Carriers
SM-R750T: T-mobile
SM-R750V: Verizon
SM-R750A: AT&T
SM-R750R4: U.S. Celluar
SM-R750P: Sprint