Samsung Galaxy S9 (Fully Unlocked) (S&D)

Literally every Android phone I’ve purchased through normal retail channels (including used) has been bootloader-unlocked, worst case after being paid off. These include an Evo, Galaxy S3, S5, S7. S7 edge, S9+, S10, Note 5, and Note 8.

I used to root all my phones back when my carrier treated Hotspot data differential from mobile data, so with root I used an app that provided for USB connection to my laptop with that activity shrouded from the carriers.

Now, please show us these “industry-standard terminology” sources that use your definition. Android Central, Android Authority, XDA-Developers, Tom’s Guide, etc all disagree with you. (Manufacturers themselves won’t make that distinction because rooting isn’t sanctioned).

Uh…the specs tab is unclear on this. As mentioned earlier, not a whole lot of information on these $135 used phones.

Probably best to set your expectations low, and then be surprised if they are exceeded. :smiley:

Only connects to 3G !!!

Huh. I think it’s been updated to reflect these are single-sim. Either that or we both missed it earlier. Ninja magic!

Where does it say that?

If I wasn’t such a HUGE BIG FAT FAN BOI of my S9 I probably wouldn’t be so vested in this thread. lol

2 Likes

Uh…also just noticed that the specs now reflect

Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)

That is additional confirmation that these were US Market phones…international phones frequently lack that certification.

1 Like

Corresponding age and model-wise, used Samsung phones seem to be a bargain vs Apple phones.

The similar age S&D iPhone XR sold on Woot a few weeks ago was twice the price ($310 vs $135) vs this S&D Samsung S9. Both were the mainstream models for 2018, both 64GB.

1 Like

just an FYI these are not like a lot of woot referbs. I got mine and its very scratched up but works fine

2 Likes

My Google phone I got even cheaper has some screen scratches but was otherwise working and the case was fine. I got it for a backup and to use a piece of software for my TV that only works with Apple and Google phones.

As far as the screen once it’s on you don’t see the scratches and a nice glass screen protector would hide them nicely for cheap.

Just got mine and no scratches or dents. Very nice looking phone. Went to charge it up (battery dead) and charger/cord included were not charging phone. Used other charger/cord and phone charges correctly. All appears well. Thanks Woot!.

1 Like

You can contact CS about the faulty cord. They may have some options for you. I’m glad you like the phone.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

1 Like

@therealjrn

Thanks to your recommendation, I went all in! Phone works and looks great! Just a couple of scratches, but you can’t see them unless you view them at a weird angle with the phone off.

2 Likes

Hi TT. I have a question for you and can use some advice. I have a friend who is kind of a new wooter who bought this product. They received an S9+ instead of an S9 and decided it was fine. It was a back up phone and so they didn’t try to use it until recently. When they inserted a Verizon sim into the phone it came up as locked. They called Verizon and got nowhere. And of course it’s past the 30 day return window. They have emailed customer service and after more than 48 hours there has been no response. Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate the help.

If it’s been 48 hours, they’ve likely answered. Make sure he checks spam/junk folders.

Our return period for the holidays extends to Jan 31, 2022 so there shouldn’t be any problem returning it.

Also, make sure he used the support form. Can’t do a self-return because of the battery. It needs special labeling that CS has to send.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

Thank you TT!!! :slight_smile:

Hey TT, sorry to bother you again on this. so customer service did respond and said more or less no soap. when i walked my friend through the return process on the support page. eventually you get to a spot where it asks you to start a self return and then says a return can’t be executed.

so there are three problems:
the phone was a s9+ instead of an s9
it was supposed to be black and the one sent was pink
the phone is locked

here’s a photo of the order and a photo of the phone. I am a little at a loss about how to keep moving it forward. If you need the order number please let me know.

Thanks for the help

(VMod edit: I blurred out the tracking info.)

What it likely said is to contact customer service. There a link on the word “here”. That will get you to the form. It’s because of the battery. You can’t do self-return on li-ion batteries.

this is what happens are you click on here

and that support page is back to the place at the original link

Ok, email support@woot.com. Make sure he includes the order number and a brief explanation of the issue. He must email from the email address on his Woot account.

I didn’t notice the order was back in August. That’s even past the 90-day warranty. There may be nothing we can do but you can ask them.

ok will do. thanks. TT!