Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32GB Tablet

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32GB Tablet

1 Like

Features says Android 9.0 (Pie) but Specs lists Android 5.1 Lollipop. Which is it.

2 Likes

Can you purchase a keyboard that attaches to the tablet?

1 Like

This is strangely $25 cheaper at Best Buy.

1 Like

Searching for “sm-t295 android 10” It looks like the Android 10 rollout has started for this tablet. So it probably comes with 9, but you’ll be able to upgrade to 10 soon-ish.

1 Like

I think the one you see at BB, is the SM-T290 which is WiFi only.

1 Like

I think I’m actually typing on one of these now. Decided to upgrade my 3 yr old 8"Android tablet and this is what. I ended up getting. It’s been a few months and I’m really pleased with it

1 Like

@ThunderThighs this seems to be the most active thread, atm, so please forgive me for posting this here.

How does one use an “unlocked 48% discount?” I put the item in my cart and only the Prime 10% discount was taken off. It also says you can use it in other items … help, please.

You’ve got to decide what you want/need to do with a tablet like this. If you need the full Google platform because you are tied into their ecosystem with an Android phone, etc. but don’t need cellular connectivity, then the Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290 (wi-fi only version of this tab) is available over on the mothership for $128. (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Android-Tablet-Black/dp/B07VDB92RK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Samsung+sm-t290&qid=1595084343&sr=8-3)

However, we recently purchased an 8" tab for my wife who only uses one for social media, basic internet surfing and taking some pics so we chose Amazon’s Fire HD 8 Plus tablet because it was only $110 and had more RAM, USB-C, and even wireless charging. (https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-HD-8-Plus-Tablet/dp/B0839NDRB2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fire+hd+8+plus&qid=1595084424&sr=8-1)

The Fire HD 8 Plus may not be as ‘cutting edge’ as the Samsung offering but my wife doesn’t need it to be for what she does with it. And if she really needs or wants an app only available on Google Play and not thru the Amazon App Store, I can easily side-load the Google Play Store without much effort so she can download their apps as well.

Just putting this out there…

1 Like

This is a terrible “deal”. You can get the exact same thing cheaper at BB.

1 Like

It looks like the Best Buy model is the one without cellular and just Wi-Fi only.

ETA: different processor, too.

1 Like

Link?

Is it the ‘4G LTE GSM Unlocked Cellular’ version?

1 Like

My local Costco has the non cellular version on sale for 120 if you don’t need mobile data and don’t/can’t use your phone as a hotspot.

2 Likes

If you are looking at it for cellular, this AT&T any t-mobile, GSM

Can anyone comment how they like the tablet and responsive it is??

1 Like

Not sure how easy side loading Google play store on Fire tablet. I had tried it couple of years ago but could not make it work. There were instructions on web on how to do it, but apparently even then Google had made it impossible to get Google services to work on Kindle Fire tablets.

1 Like

Does it come with Stylus?

1 Like

Do a Google search for “How to install Google Play on Fire Tablet” and you will get lots of YouTube videos and web pages with step-by-step instructions. There are several that are very recent and even specifically mention the Fire HD 8 Plus by name so those should be perused first.

There are four APK files that have to be downloaded (best if you get them directly from Google) that have to be installed in a very specific order and one setting changed or it won’t work. The entire process took me about 20 minutes.

2 Likes

XDA forums has all this info

1 Like

$159.99 today on Amazon, sold by Woot. But eff me, right ?

1 Like

Huh? We sold it for $154.99 here so cheaper.

1 Like