Samsung Galaxy Tablets

It is in fact both…one quad core for power using, and a lower power quad core for battery savings, depending on what you’re doing. You could have googled it or looked up the spec on Samsung’s site…too bad that was a deal breaker for you.

Of course, I as well messed up too, not reading the SquareTrade warranty info when I bought it, thinking it had ADH coverage.

Most reviewers are biased/lazy. Knowing/having run across a few, don’t ever expect objectivity from reviewers. Picture the fanboy know-it-all always blabbing away about the coolest gadgets, and you know what a reviewer is like in personality.

This is roughly the same as an iPad air. It (Galaxy Notes) is better for work and media consumption (movies, books, etc). The iPad is better for games (3D especially, but also regular ones).

So if you use Citrix, (some sort of) Office, Evernote, etc. and like watching movies, get the note.

If you want to play video games or make music, get the iPad.

Of course either tablet can do either of those activities. It’s just a matter of which does what better.

As for me, I don’t like any phone/tablet without a stylus anymore. A tablet without a stylus is just a toy.

Oooh, and mine just showed up at the door, A DAY EARLY!!! Came in a white box, has fairly official Samsung printing on it, and says Refurbished In USA. There’s just a little quick start guide, white usb cable, white plug, and the Note.

Oops, blank comments, mind

Lower end model, less screen resolution 600 ver 800 and less pixels count on rear camera 3megs ver 5 megs. Used not refurbished.

That was for $99 CowBoom model of tab 3 comment. Sorry

I’m a bit confused by some prior comments, but according to squaretrade’s site, it’s pretty comprehensive:

What does a SquareTrade plan cover?

Drops
Antenna/Wi-Fi Failure
Spills
Broken Dock Connector Port
All Mechanical or Electrical Failures
Touchscreen Failure
Display Failure
Won’t Power On

I don’t know how you treat your expensive electronics, but this covers most of what can happen.

2 years, $99 without a coupon.
(also once you use squaretrade, such as us and our cell phones, you start getting discount coupons for future)

My $0.02

spikedknight: SqTr warranties for new items are different than for factory reconditioned or refurbished.

SqTr does not sell warranties on factory reconditioned or refurbished items directly to consumers. You must go through an authorized seller - like Woot.

You might want to call them to confirm what is covered.

It seems like you come off as the biased one.
What makes the Note better for Citrix, (some sort of) Office, Evernote, etc?

At least the iPad has the real Microsoft Office as well as iWork for free.

So glad that I came back to this post and read your comments on this!! I did the same thing this morning, cancelled SQ & went with Securranty w/3yr plan too and my refurb galaxy tab 3 that I bought for my daughter last time it was on here!! Thanks!!!

Neither Microsoft Office, nor iWork are any better than the conventional android office apps.

On the other hand, you have apps like TextMaker and PlanMaker on Android that offers FULL compatibility with all the documents and a huge number of functions (practically everything) of the full sized Office programs. It can work as your standalone word processor/spreadsheet program without having to make you run to your laptop for the heavy lifting stuff.

Evernote with Galaxy Note series is awesome for taking quick handwritten notes. You get as close as you possibly get to a notebook with thousands of pages. Plus, you can export the notes and use character recognition. You can type extremely quickly with the swype type keyboards. You can write and use the handwriting recognizer. You have way more options.

Also, the nature of Android means that every program can communicate with other programs. You can make a document in one program, transform it into a poster in another program, and then print it with another program. Say you have a printer app that is native to your large format or dye sub printer. With iPad, you are SOL because it can’t access the document. Find a spreadsheet on a website? With Android, you can open it in PlanMaker, do your work, and then plug in your colleague’s USB drive to give it to him. There is just more options on the Android, and it is faster for workflow.

As for Citrix, it is a pain to use with the gigantic keypad that takes up half your view. Android has the option of tiny swype floating keyboards that you can position anywhere.

You would have to be obtuse if your mind goes to external keyboards. First of all, you might as well be using a laptop at that point, but if you insist, with Android, you can plug any old USB keyboard and mouse and it will work natively. It will work with almost any bluetooth keyboard out there. The iPad, not so much.

I also didn’t talk about what an advantage the stylus is:

You don’t have to tap-tap-tap to get the precise cursor point in a document.

You don’t have to zoom way in to make a spreadsheet usable.

You can take handwritten notes as fast as you want without worrying that it will look like some unrecognizable mass of zagged scribbles. In fact, my handwriting looks better on a Note than it does on paper.

A stylus (and not the dumb hack of those iPad styluses you see everywhere) is absolutely necessary if you want a good experience working with a tablet.

I use Goodreader on the iPad to sync folders from Dropbox. Great reader. Nothing like it on Android – I’ve asked. There’s a legal billing app on iOS called Timeslips that never made it Android and that app is the sole reason I ditched my Galaxy S and switched to iOS three or four years ago. It’s a $50 app that’s never made it to Android. The RingCentral app is about the same on both platforms BUT on the iPad it rotates to landscape – a big Plus. Amazon Instant Video is on iPad but not on Android for some Amazon related reason. Messaging between iOS devices allegedly only goes through Apple servers in North Carolina and thus the police can’t tap into it as easily as asking a carrier – so I tell my dope dealer clients to use iPhones for texting ;-). Apple gives away their office suite now if you get an iPad - Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. They used to be $9.99 a piece. I don’t use them, though. And finally, although Android 4.2 and above allow multiple use accounts, THESE Galaxy Tabs running 4.2.2 DO NOT have that function yet. I know, I have bought 4 of them in this sale!

That’s what I meant by Exynos 5 Octa. It uses that dual core-type setup, with 4 of each, individual processes being assigned to the appropriate amount of processing power it really needs, improving efficiency on smaller processes and power on more demanding processes. It’s an ARM big.LITTLE architecture instance; heterogenous computing.

The Galaxy Tab 3
Can you connect to Dropbox? Can it read Word or Excel spreadsheets?
Assuming that it is Bluetooth enabled?

Have you tried Moon+? That has that functionality. I use cool reader. You can use Dropbox on that, but currently you have to open the file externally. The developer says he will soon add this functionality though.
If there is a specific app available only on iPad then of course it’s a good reason to only go for that platform. There are legal billing programs for Android though.

It sounds like you never used an iPad before.

So you are saying that Microsoft Office is not better than Office? Wat?

You can do that on the iPad too.

You do know you can make the iPad keyboard smaller and have it float on the sides of the screen?

Actually the iPad works with any USB keyboard (just need the adapter) and any bluetooth keyboard

For factory recondition, is there usually cosmetic defects?

Have one. Love it.

I’m saying that Microsoft Office isn’t really better than the conventional Office programs on the android like Polaris Office or Office Suite Pro. It’s better than QuickOffice and DocumentstoGo, sure, but that’s not saying much.

Programs like the SoftMaker Office Suite, blow it out of the water though. At then blow it out of the air while it’s flopping around on the breeze.

There are more reasons than just that, but this and the work with different documents comment and the keyboard comment makes me think you are just being argumentative. Sure there are hacks, but nothing as smooth and “just works” as how Android does it.

(and btw… I don’t regard the split keyboard as a hack, it’s just the most useless, painful, and inelegant thing I have ever encountered. I tried for a whole week to get used to it, and I think I have a few more grey hair as a result)

I looked up Moon+. Its not close to Goodreader. You speak of fanboys who cannot be objective yet you keep arguing the superiority of Android. You say you have an iPad. Then pay the measly $4.99 and see how nice Good reader is. Or just read the reviews and the people begging them to port it to Android.

I have a Nexus 7 2013, a Note 8, a HP Touchpad running Cyanogenmod 10.2 (Jellybean 4.3), and bought 3 Tabs for my paralegals in this sale. Not an Apple Fanboy but I am a big fan of stuff that just works.

I have goodreader. It’s good, in fact I can understand why you think it’s better, but it’s not what I was looking for. Mostly, the reader you have access to at any given time is the best reader and I have an android phone. I also like the smaller screen on my Note 3 because it feels more like I’m reading a paperback.

I didn’t say moon+ is better. I have not tried it. I just said it had that feature you said Android readers don’t have. I’ll take your word that it’s not as good.