Samsung HDTVs Galore!

Tell us about your Samsung! Top notch, or do you prefer another brand?

You said to let you know what “Samsung” means. Well, according to the founder of Samsung Group and Wikipedia, the meaning of the Korean hanja word Samsung is “tristar” or “three stars”. The word “three” represents something “big, numerous and powerful”; the “stars” mean eternity.
Hope this covers it. Thanks!

I see that there is an ethernet port.
I do not have an ethernet cable to where TV needs to go.
Does this have, or can I buy for this TV, a USB dongle, to get wireless (wi-fi) signal to the TV, to as to allow (Netflix and such) internet connectivity?
Is TV made to allow updates via the internet?

I’m not sure about the dongle, but if all else fails, you can always get a power line adapter for your ethernet connection. It allows you to run wired internet to any room with an electrical outlet. It’s worth checking out. I was able to move my office to another room in the house with much ease. They’re really simple to set up.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-TL-PA211-STARTER-KIT/dp/B0055XKBW4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&srs=2530652011&ie=UTF8&qid=1351230199&sr=1-4

That is true, they are easy to use. But you should know that a 10/100/1000Gb Connection will be heavily reduced. as well as there will be Dramatic Latency increases compared to your standard Ethernet cable. Just keep that in mind.

Otherwise if it is not a big deal, the Power line adapter is an easy workaround.

I own this TV. First, I can assure you that the picture is nothing short of STUNNING. Next, the USB dongle works OK. There are some latency issues while trying to watch live MLB via the app store…but I had virtually no issues watching Netflix and such. I also will add that the Samsung apps are less than impressive. Best bet is getting a PS3 or Roku, etc.

Beware of Samsung’s support.
I just bought a Motorola bluetooth keyboard (here on woot incidentally) to use with my Samsung smart tv. The keyboard would not pair with the tv. I called Samsung- their comment was only a Samsung keyboard will pair with the Samsung tv. And of course the Samsung keyboard costs literally 4 times as much.

Really sh**ty. Very Apple-like.

On the Samsung website a brand new model of the 46’ TV sells for $669 and comes with a 1yr warranty instead of a 90 day warranty.

I got the UN46D6000SFXZA 46" LED the last time it was offered. It is a good TV, and have it connected to my LAN via the port. Not using wireless.

Two cons:

Cannot remove unwatched channels from channel list.

Have one stuck pixel, in upper left corner. I contacted Samsung about it, and they never responded. I understand that just one bad/stuck pixel is not enough for warranty coverage, and it is in the corner, so not very visible. Because I got TV at almost 1/2 price, I let it go.

There is firmware available that can add enhanced options to Samsung TVs, but it is not from Samsung:

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Main_Page

The latest firmware is not compatible with the SamyGO firmware. If you think you may want to try SamyGO, do not allow the firmware to update. Also, I haven’t tried it (yet), so I cannot vouch for it!

I run the Serviio media server on my Ubuntu desktop PC, and the Samsung TV can connected to it via the LAN connection. I can watch the videos stored on my PC on my Samsung now.

You can also just put the video files on a USB drive, and then plug that into the TV. I was watching .mp4 videos but I’m sure other types should work too.

I am trying to find the power usage specs for these, particularly the LN46D550K1FXZA model. Does Samsung not advertise that spec? I’m shopping for a lobby TV, so that’s really important to me.

Unless you are in a hurry black friday is coming soon and the predictions are:

Summary: Black Friday Predictions for HDTVs; predicting brand names will go for…

32" 1080p LCD HDTV for $159
42" 1080p LCD HDTV for $189
47" 1080p LCD HDTV for $299
55" 1080p LCD HDTV for $499
55" 1080p 3D LCD HDTV for $789
60" 1080p LCD HDTV for $719
60" 1080p Plasma HDTV for $569

Maybe woot will offer some great deals then too… I’m waiting :slight_smile:

Refurbished? You can get the same TV’s new for less? Where is the deal just shop around…

got links?

I was wating to see if he/she would post any links. Got tired of waiting so went loooking for myself. Was hopeing to fail as I am a huge wooter, unfortunatly I did find one:

BnH Photo: Price:$549.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752948-REG/Samsung_LN46D550K1FXZA_LN37D550_46_LCD_HDTV.html

Target also has it for slightly more: Price:$629.99
http://www.target.com/p/samsung-46-class-1080p-60hz-lcd-hdtv-black-ln46d550k1fxza/-/A-13523220?ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001&AFID=shopping_df&LNM=|13523220&CPNG=Unassigned&ci_src=13736960&ci_sku=13523220&

i might be confused, but at least at a cursory glance, none of the TVs offered here match the model number of the BnH link.

we gotta do apples to apples comparisons with these things, otherwise they flog us and make us wear funny hats.

(The Target one…well, more is more.)