Samsung Smart Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi

Where can I get a Blu-ray player for $30?

Get an LG anything over Samsung.
[/quote]

I recommend just the opposite, I had an LG Blu-ray surround sound and will never buy anything LG again, not because it had problems, but because the company was horrible at fixing them and standing behind there product. I bought this when it was on Woot and it worked decent so far. Sometimes the sound goes out, but fix by unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI.

Sorry sweetie! It only takes lo-fat.

Thanks for that info – I would have been stuck in a remote cabin with no internet and a player that didn’t work!

Thanks for the info. I was just about to click the “I want one”.

No samsung players support the amazon app according to their website. I have 2 different samsung smart blue rays and neither supports amazon

I want this ONLY for the DLNA capability to use with my bedroom TV. I have a Samsung TV in the main room and use Allshare exclusively for watching movies vice internet streaming sites.

Anyone have experience with a Samsung Bluray and Allshare?

I bought the 5700 last time it was on sale almost 2 months ago. Paid $10 more for it to.

This works fine, I don’t know why all the negative reviews and such. I bought this for my kids playroom so I wouldn’t have to watch Tinkerbell and her sister anymore and guess what it plays blu-rays and dvds without problems.

I’m not using the extra features but it did sync and update from my wifi without issues.

If you need a blu-ray to play blu-rays this is as cheap as it gets and should work fine

I recently purchased the BD-EM57C new just a few weeks ago. Too bad I missed this deal!

Frankly I had a hard time picking a Blu-Ray player because it seems like all the players in my price range had plenty of negative ratings. I chose the Samsung for these reasons:

1. It was $80 (budget$100) and I bought it from somewhere that was good with returns.
  2. I wanted DLNA and smart hub features so I didn’t need to by another box.

Note: I set up the player with a hard-wired Ethernet connection and I have excellent and fast network/internet connections.

THE GOOD: So far all the features work well on it. I have used the Blu-Ray player at least 5 times with no issues and it seems as fast as my old DVD player. The DLNA features work well for streaming my music and using playon. I have used VUDU, pandora and netflix on the smarthub features and they work well.

THE BAD: The smarthub features are SLOOOOW. Once you get them going they play the video/audio well but getting there is tedious and slow. You are very limited in the number of smarthub apps you can download (less than ten usually, depending on the size of individual apps) I was stopped at 8.

Overall I am happy with my buy. From the negative reviews I realized that the smarthub apps would be slow, but all the other players in this price range seem to have the same complaint or didn’t have DLNA. Also it seems that many of the complaints come from using the Wi-Fi feature and/or having a slow network/internet connection. Another issue that seems to plague all the other players in this price range.

If you just want a blu-ray player, at this price it is a no brainer. If you want the other features such as DLNA and the smarthub apps, realize that your network/internet connection is going to be very important and even then navigating and starting those apps will be slow (actually playing of the apps is not a problem).

Did you ever try the DLNA feature via Wi-Fi? I’d have to use it that way.

Sorry, unfortunately I haven’t tried the Wi-Fi, only wired.

Here’s the list:
SamsungAppList

What are the apps for this player?

oops! sorry for some reason I thought the price was 55 not 45! my bad mustve been really sleepy :(. Although I believe I saw it once go for 25 on slickdeals thats rare though look around amazon for some lower end Sony models those go for 35 40 I believe also if you’re willing to go used you can find them cheap. Still though at 45 this is not too bad I suppose.

I have not read a single decent review on this Samsung product; problems with the smart hub etc… How To - CNET

honestly i have seen them that cheap at Walmart. Though its during a sale.

I think I’ll pick one of these up for Blu-Ray/DVD. All of a sudden, everything’s got apps and it’s almost starting to be a pain in the arse.

My TV, Satellite Box, XBox, Google TV and now this will all support Apps in various forms, some of them half-arsed. Just as everything seems to be consolidating, it becomes more convoluted than ever…Fortunately, GoogleTV’s got all my app & DNLA needs covered since the updates made it useful…

I believe all HDTVs support 1080i. It uses roughly the same bandwidth as 720p so any TV that can display 720p will also support 1080i. It’s 1080p (progressive scan) that’s only in larger and more expensive TVs. All TV broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. The only 1080p source currently available are Blu-Rays and video games.

I bought the EM57C last week off WOOT and it arrived Friday. It is pretty basic and came with the HDMI cable, the player and the remote. It requires two AAA batteries that are not included.

I plugged it into our 56 inch living room Samsung LCD HD TV. My daughter and I watched regular DVD “Cat in the Hat” with Mike Myers, and at night my wife and I watched Blu Ray " Total Recall " with Arnold Schwartzenegger.

Both videos were clear and crisp, and the DVD controls functioned flawlessly and quickly. The remote is not identical to our TV remote but it is so similar it makes it easy to use.

The apps were difficult to getrunning. We had to do a receiver reset and install it EXACTLY as the instructions in the booklet say. The APPS are OK, but we did not buy it for that. We are ordering a second unit today.

It was a good deal for us at $50 delivered, and with my limited use I am happy.

IMHO

Woot had the 3D version of this a few days ago for $15 more. It not only had 3D but a display in front as well so you don’t have to turn on the TV to look at various stats. I can only think of one case where that may be useful: using this as a CD player.

Both models have similarly dismal reviews but the shortcomings seem to lie with the apps. They seem to be just fine as Blu-Ray/DVD players, and $44 is a great price for a brand name Blu-Ray player. The apps and WiFi are just bonuses. Since apps are easily updated, any bugs should be fixable. Of note, the last firmware upgrade for the 3D model was released a few months ago. That’s promising because it shows that Samsung is actively supporting the item. It also means that some of the older negative reviews may no longer be valid.