Samsung Smart Wi-Fi Ready Blu-ray Disc Player

It isn’t too much trouble to put firmware on a router to let you jump on the wifi from the ethernet - just too much trouble for a TV appliance…

I got this last yeah as I already had the wifi adapter. The connection over wireless is slooooooow. Netflix pre price change took forever to buffer, streaming from PC that is hardwired to router over gigabit was sloooow, its just a very underpowered unit. Still have it in bedroom, but many HD media player beat it on that aspect. If you just want it to play Blu-ray, it does’nt load as fast as the newer fast booting players. All in all, better can be had for the same or slightly more depending on your needs.

Im concerned that when I did a search of this one I found many refurbished. Seems to be alot of the new ones break so Ill pass on this one but Woot I need a blu-ray so hit me up with another later today…Ill be watching.

Wi-Fi = Wireless Fidelity

Ethernet = A Wire

=)

I have this… was VERY disappointed that to connect to internet wirelessly I had to purchase a highly over priced Samsung adapter, which didn’t work worth a cra*.

Also, the blueray player is LOUD. I don’t know if this is normal for blueray, but it is very noticable unless you blast the audio to mask it.

I ended up hard wiring this to stream from netflix… wish I had just bought a roku.

Glad I checked here before purchasing.

Thanks Woot Community. Almost made my first bad woot. :slight_smile:

What? This already comes with a “LAN” port to connect an ethernet cable. And routers are really letting you jump on the ethernet from Wifi (not the other way around)… and that is usually an out of the box feature unless your router doesn’t support wifi.

Ok…this thing has an ethernet port…Technically won’t it work with any Wireless Ethernet bridge out there that can be had for cheap???

It’s not a bad woot at all. The community has many snivelers.

But it would probably be cheaper than the proprietary Samsung adapter if you had to go wifi and it would still have some use after this player dies.

Blu-Ray sucks. Oh well…

I had to put DD-WRT on my Linksys router to turn it into a wireless bridge.

No, you have to purchase a very overpriced Samsung adapter… I tried a couple of netgear adapters I had gotten real cheap with no success. No guarantees with the Samsung either… after I broke down and bought one, the damn thing didn’t work worth a cra*, and I ended up selling it on ebay for a loss. don’t waste your money.

*sorry, I didn’t catch it the first time… it might work with a bridge. That, I didn’t try.

My personal history with Samsung…

Samsung LCD TV died after one year of use.

Samsung Bluray player HDMI ports died after one year of use.

Samsung Focus smart phone - constant reboots, replaced twice under warranty.

Do you see the pattern? Samsung makes a shoddy product, avoid at all costs!

i spent far to much money last year here so I am happy to see the redundancy and, in general, lack of anything new and interesting. Thank’s for the break Woot! Comes at a good time post holiday

you asked if you could connect to wi-fi with wires, I suggested you could use the built in ethernet port. In answer to your original question, no you can’t connect to wi-fi via wires.

Their Galaxy S line is pretty solid.

Meh. I love my 250GB Samsung that gets Netflix and other content plus is already wireless, so this is not for me. If you need wireless I’d look for one that has it built in already. JMHO.

I should have put a “/sarc” on the post you commented on… sorry :slight_smile:

I have had the previous model (maybe 2 models ago) that I got the same way from Woot and it has been great, getting this one to move the other in to the bedroom! I use it hard-wired though, I can’t speak to the wi-fi