Samsung Tab 2 7" or 10.1" with Pouch

I have a couple of people asking me about tablets art work, as I have both an iPad2 and a smaller Samsung that I like as well for the freedom from Apple it offers.

But here’s the hitch: In my experience, tablets are great for consuming info and light email work, but not for serious production, IE longer writing, creating web pages, even longer blogs.

And while I can and do plug in an XLR pro mic and do recording on the iPad (via adapter), it’s not as much fun as I expected.

The lack of a real keyboard and some anemic apps (especially for making web pages) steers me to a light laptop. Even my three year old Acer “netbook” is better for getting some work done.

Sure, you can buy a keyboard, but then you are carrying more stuff and the apps are still lacking.

I’m sure we will hear from someone who is running an entire business empire on a tablet, but I think that kind of person is in the minority, as are those who suggest buying a tablet and immediately replacing the firmware.

These kind of folks are “enthusiasts,” and are in a different place than consumers.

Perhaps I am missing the apps that make it all wonderful, and if so, I’d appreciate suggestions.

Yep. Have a 7" running android 4.2.2. Works great for Wifey and her book reading obsession. The only thing I dislike is the non standard USB charger. You kind of get used to unplugging your phone and plugging another device into the same charger. This has it’s own type of USB adapter. Minor annoyance. She wanted the $50 dollar cover from the big box stores. I found one on the bay from China for like $7 bucks including shipping, and it’s working great. With the newest android update, you can actually move most of your apps to the microSD card and save that precious internal memory!

Bought one of these 7" refurbs last time they were offered. It looked brand new, is zippy and responsive, and has a nice, bright screen.

I’d spend the $35 on accessories instead

Admittedly, I may be coming out of the dark ages with respect to anything newer than a netbook, but is this device runs the Android system, which also runs some smart phones, isn’t there some requirement that you have a subscription to an unlimited mobile phone service?
Or is this just a small netbook that requires wifi or other direct connection to access the internet?
Thanks.

Can you save me a few brain cells by directing me to where this update is and how to update it? What is cutesy name and version number?

“Or is this just a small netbook that requires wifi or other direct connection to access the internet?”
Bingo! You have it right! :slight_smile:

Most tablets can be found with only WIFI, no phone connection or subscription needed.

Both of them do.

My > age 40 spouse uses the 7 inch version and it is a solid feeling (unlike cheapos like Polaroid) tablet.

Not a screamer performance wise, but does all the normal email/internet browsing/Facebook/YouTube stuff well in a compact package.

Unlike 10 inch tablets, fits in more compact spots, bags, purses, etc… but you trade off the more eye-friendly larger screen.

If you prefer/don’t mind Android vs Apple’s iOS grab one.

You’ve got to get Kies Air first. It’s an app that allows you to do OTA updates.

Here’s a lovely tutorial from Samsung on how to get your tablet’s system up to date: Page Not Found - SAMSUNG

Replaceable Battery! That is a big point. I notice they don’t tell you want kind of battery they have in them nor the service cycle or life. I would stay away pending a full disclosure by them.

For what it’s worth to the arguments for other cheaper devices, know that not all tablets perform the same. I’ve got an Asus Transformer Pad, and love all things Asus because of their quality PC parts.

Imagine my chagrin, then, that the thing gets overloaded trying to catch up with notifications and app updates when I turn it on, and is often almost useless for 5 minutes or so. On paper the quad core processed is better, but the way the devices were designed, my roommate’s Galaxy Tab 2 works way better than my Asus.

Ha ha ha …
my eyes blurred just right, to read that as
“Tablet 2.7” and 10.1" "

I was pretty surprised they’d brought out a 2.7" tiny tablet …
aiming for a smart watch???

I bought one of these new from Costco a few months ago for about $300, the 10 in with pouch. I think it’s only 8GB though. I have to say I absolutely love it. It’s almost as big as an iPad, the apps are the same you can get in the google play store. It rarely freezes on me. I put in a microSD card and store all of my photos and videos on there with ease. I think the screen resolution is awesome, very crisp HD. I don’t know how this particular deal is though because it’s refurbished. Seems like there is already a tab 3 out now.

Adobe pulled Flash for Android a while back in favor of HTML 5. I believe you would have to search up the APK from a third party site.

Yes! WiFi and Bluetooth. And the specs don’t note that it will upgrade to Jelly Bean the first time you turn it on and let it update.

I have not noticed any difference between a factory refurb and new. Got my Tab 2 10.1 when it was here in January, and I swear by it. It has replaced my laptop for most of my work related tasks (I’m a printer repair field technician). One of the best tech investments I’ve made.

Great deal for equipping the kids. For myself, I would end up being disappointed that I had not spent a few extra bucks for a Nexus or new Nexus FH. Much faster processor, true HD screens (720p&1080p respectively) 1GB/2GB system memory and Android 4.3 plus upgrades to all the latest & greatest versions (not stuck at an old dead end like 4.1). And $239-$269 for the new FH snapdragon powered version (don’t know how cheap the old original 720p Nexus is now). So you can save a few dollars, but your stuck with old tech & who likes old tech - blechhhhhhhhh.

Open settings, About Device, tap update, or make sure you have update automatically checked. It will download and install the update.