Samsung Tablets

I have the Note 10.1. It’s pretty awesome for note taking and such. The screen is also a nice size for reading while on the treadmill/elliptical. I’ve seen the 8.0 and don’t know if it would be of an adequate size for me to really use the s-pen.

You might also consider the Galaxy Tab 3, which is for the most part identical. The only difference is it doesn’t have the pen, but it sells for $299 brand spankin’ new.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-8-Inch-White/dp/B00D02AHEO

The 10.1" Notes are a bit better deal, given their 10.1 Tab 3 cousins sell for $100 more brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-Inch-White/dp/B00D029NNA

I too have the Note 10.1 and prefer it over the v1 iPad I used to use. My only regret is I got the 16Gig instead of the 32Gig. The expansion slot has helped a lot in that regard but more on board would have been nice.

I lucked out with a Walmart Refurb for $119 (Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 8Gig) during the summer. I wanted to get one for my son that deal never came back. It’s $139, which makes this deal a good one. Also Samsung just pushed out 4.2.2… which makes this deal even sweeter.

I bought this tablet new for $380 earlier this year. It’s an amazing tablet. I sold my Nook HD+ to buy this one. I gave up a cheaper tablet, with a bigger screen and more resolution.

I think 8" is the perfect size. Big enough to read comics and manga, but small enough to not be terribly heavy.

Are they refurbed by Samsung, or a third party?

Looks like these are refurbished by a 3rd party.

If the work was done by Samsung, it would have been noted as “Factory Reconditioned”.

A “factory reconditioned” item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It’s as close to new as you can get without technically being “new”.

Really the pen IS the tablet as far as the note is concerned, especially with 3 being more expensive. (new vs refurbished doesn’t matter at all to me.)

Ive had other tegra tablets including the a700, galaxy tab 2, and played with the transformer as well. The performance is as good as all of the rest, the screen is just as good really, and the pen is darn near magical.

Yes I know the spec says the a700 has a better screen, but you don’t really see it, even putting them next to each other. If you’re watching netflix for example, nearly identical in appearance.

As far as input goes, that pen just cant be beat. Originally got all these tablets to get my GF note taking abilities for her classes. Thought it was about time to start using files instead of paper. None of the rest were acceptable for note taking, even using the best apps like Quill. Only the galazy note with that pen were even worth considering.

IF you’re wanting to input any kind of handwriting, these are the only option.

Do the tablets come in original packaging?

Most often the 3rd party refurbishing center repackages the product in different packaging.

Dang, these are refurb prices??

That’s what I was thinking. I got a Galaxy Tab 10.1, on clearance, for cheaper than these, about a year and a half ago.

I got a refurbed Note 10.1 from Woot a while back, and I still love it. It’s a great tablet. But if you’re not going to use it for taking notes or drawing, there’s really no point. The biggest thing that defines it against other tablets is the pen.

I’ve had three Android phones and two tablets, 16 GB is bare minimum, I HIGHLY recommend going no less than 32 GB and have SD card support alongside.

I’m looking at picking up a latest gen tablet for a laptop replacement. I’m really torn between the new Samsung 10.1 2014 and the Asus Transformer. I agree the pen input is a game changer but so is a great keyboard. I’d definitely get the Samsung if there was a “good enough” keyboard cover of some sort.

The Staples by me has the Note 8.0 for $299. I used an online coupon and saved $75 on top of that. Cha-ching!

With the new 10.1 that is out, I would assume that an 8.0 will follow shortly. I’m sure that the the prices will drop even more on a factory new item. This doesn’t seem that that good of a deal.

Just want to point out that there’s major differences in the Tab 3 and the Note, most notably the processor. The 3 has a dual core, the Note has a Quad core. Bigger, better, faster.

I bought a Note 8 for myself back in July and a used Note 10.1 for my wife last month.

The Note 8 is light enough to hold in one hand and read from for extended periods. On the down side, I find the 8" screen a little small to write on with the stylus and my handwriting just too awful for my original intention of replacing my paper notebook. It has made my desk a little less cluttered with printed drawings and datasheets since I can keep them all on the tablet in PDF form for quick access.

My wife uses her Note 10.1 to draw examples for the kids she teaches as well as a replacement for bringing a stack of paperwork to parent meetings. She uses a bluetooth keyboard to directly fill in word document forms rather than print, fill in, type into PC later on.

I think she’s getting a little better use out of hers than I am. Her school has wifi for the staff to use while I’m stuck tethering to my phone so I’m more isolated from the documents I actually need to access.

What is the little clamp and the little strip thing in one of the pictures for? Not intuitive for this old fart.

If you are talking about the bits in the lower left of the Note pictures, I think they are three replacement nibs for the pen (I guess the material that doesn’t scratch up the screen wears out) and a set of bent sheet-metal clamp/tweezers to pull the old nibs out.

v/r,
C-F