Sanyo 42” HD Ready Plasma Display

1000 to 1 for a plasma that sucks!

Love the HHGG reference! If I hadn’t already gotten the 61" JVC awhile back, I might be all over this. Would be a nice upgrade othe 32" in the bedroom, but har to justify the cost.

1024x1024 resolution? what is it really?

HDMI isn’t really necessary if you have a separate sound system right?

Sweet. Ive read about AliS panels before - the listed 1024x1024 resolution is correct. Here’s a breakdown on ALiS technology. It uses rectangular pixels rather than square pixels and actually extends eh life of the plasma display. It’s not outdated technology, and this isn’t an oversized computer monitor. It will do 720p and 1080i just as accurately as a 1366x768 display will, if not better.

ALiS – ALiS (alternate lighting of surfaces) technology developed by Fujitsu/Hitachi for plasma panel displays. On a conventional plasma TV, all pixels are illuminated at all times. With an ALiS plasma panel, alternate rows of pixels are illuminated so that half the panel’s pixels are illuminated at any moment, which is NOT the same as video interlacing on a standard CRT. Plasma displays are a digital device, where entire lines are drawn at once, unlike conventional CRTs which use a single electron beam to draw the entire screen. Properly installed plasma displays have no noticeable flicker.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com.au/resolution.htm

to the guy saying that its a computer monitor and that it cant reproduce 720p or 1080i resolutions - you’re wrong. Here’s an HD ALiS panel introduced just two months ago at CEDIA 2006 : http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6638050.html

and heres a review (an old one) of an ALiS plasma: Guide To Home Theater

Lots of info on google if you really want more info. If you just want to thread crap about how you work at Bestbuy and you know it all, well then go ahead and post more uninformed responses.

Contrast ratio of 1000:1? Are you kidding me?

eh, id rather pass. i could get better deals on regular hdtv’s. besides i despise plasma. lcd or rear projection are the way to go for picture clarity.

Froogle’s showing it for $2,300-$3,600 from what I can see.

Someone tell me how in the heck the shipping is 5 dollars?

Not even true high-def resolutions. There’s no way I’d jump on this for this price, especially considering the prices we’ve seen on Black Friday for televisions and monitors that supported true high-def.

Fork out another $200 and you could’ve got a 42" Toshiba plasma HDTV with ATSC tuner from Sears on black Friday. 42" plastma HDTVs should be going for this price by this time next year. I’ll wait.

What an odd resolution

Other sites list it as the same res so I don’t believe it is a typo.

I think we’ll see a glut of 42" plasmas at this price point in the next 3 months or so. If you are in the market, do some research.

1024x1024? Um, that would be a 1:1 panel which certainly isn’t what they are showing. Anybody have the real stats?

CRAP!!! It’s a computer monitor resolution which will look like complete ass for TV. No HDMI, only DVI so that should show you the true age of this unit. Definitely a pass. Now if it was $500, I’d pick one up just cuz but for $900, it better come with a free Xbox360, PS3 or at least a Wii and a ton of games. I’m glad woot hasn’t had a quality item in forever… they’re saving me a ton of money. Can’t say so much for other sites where I’m spending way TOOOOO much money.

FYI, yes that is the right resolution. It’s using a panel that doesn’t have regular square pixels, it’s more rectangular so you know the picture will be spot on perfect. HAHAAHHA JUNK!

HD ready?

no hdmi - its at least a year old.

I would have considered buying this if I didn’t just get a Westinghouse 42" 1080p for a lil more then this. Seems like a pretty good deal for a 42" plasma at any brand

I’m no expert, but since it has no speakers I think the DVI input is equivalent.

Isn’t plasma on its way out?