Sanyo Xacti HD Camcorder & 14MP Camera w/12x Optical Zoom

If you get the black version, the battery gets hot in the sun and it can fry your battery easily (lid over battery is thin).

sorry but I forget how to make this link easier…anyone? what am I to remove to make the link simply clickable? here are amazon reviews…out of 25, 9 suck…so that means a third of people dont like it…I need it the other way around…and the price isnt such a deal when it is $160 new…im only saving $15…not a big deal at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-GH2-Definition-Camcorder-Optical/product-reviews/B0036TH75I/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Nice test on video and digital still aspects

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tKkx--RBVg

Thank you, I was seriously thinking of purchasing this product, now I see I can get the upgraded version of this for less…
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-GH4-Camcorder-Range-Charcoal/dp/B00426D9KQ

Not sure why i am saying this, but i have watched alot of the ‘techie’ woots over the years and have generally NOT pulled the trigger on most of them. particularly the video camera offerings, based on the usually well-reasoned and experience-based comments from all-ya’all. thank you!

but my more salient comment would be: are all these “tech” offerings just crappy deals on refurbed or less-than-satisfactory stuff that appeals to the quick-trigger-types?

when i see comments that include digs on the previous versions of many offerings and references to amazon (or other site offerings) that better the price, it just makes me more and more gun-shy about everything?

maybe i need to read more issues of wired. but hey, i shoot a 50D and take video on my iphone, so what do i care.

i AM thinking about this offering for my dad, who is 74 and would love a simple DV camera if anyone can rec this for that. (he does not own a cellphone and still thinks his VHS camcorder is cool)

cheers!

What is a dual range zoom for video? Is it digital only? Optical? Switchable? Many thanks

“12X dual range zoom for video and 5X optical zoom for photos”

Can you shoot with the video screen in the closed position? And does anyone make an HD camcorder with a “viewfinder” as well as an LCD screen? I find LCD screens wash out in strong sunlight which is why I sometimes prefer a viewfinder. Thanks

HAHA With this woot, i will always have a positive “cam-do” attitude!

also… whats up with this? giving 101% tonight?

Quantity Breakdown

* 98% bought 
* 1% bought 
* 2% bought 

I’m telling you… it’s the CAM-DO ATTITUDE!

From sanyo’s site:
[95%x95%

http://us.sanyo.com/Dynamic/ImageManager/Audio/VPC-GH2/Web-Dual-Range-Zoom.jpg[/img]](http://us.sanyo.com/Dynamic/ImageManager/Audio/VPC-GH2/Web-Dual-Range-Zoom.jpg)

Basically there are two zoom ranges you can choose between. the full zoom range is optical. Also note the GH2 that woot is selling has a 12x optical zoom while the GH4 is only 10x - newer model? yes. upgraded? meh

Are you chewing gum while filming low light or does the cam make that popping noise when recording?

does this come with a memory card in box ?

129.00 @ Amazon

Visit Amazon!

I bought one of these in June - wanted a combo still and movie camera to take to Europe. Overall I’d recommend, but vital that the owner have time to get to know it prior to using for something important.

This bit me when I did not know the amount of time needed to taking still pictures. When taking still pictures, need to first half depress the camera button–it will then focus, and then depress all the way to complete the process. I did not do this two step approach for most of the Europe trip, only to discover that as a result, the camera did not actually take most of the pictures! The only saving grace is that everyone in my family took pictures so we were able to make it up the other way.
Also it is critical to get the Class 6 memory card…and even then, I do not find playback as smooth on my high def TV as other types of video cameras.
With that said, I have found it a pretty cool media toy, and once I learned the quirks, it does have a lot of bang for the buck.
As an aside, Sanyo is owned by Panasonic, but you’d never know it by comparing the two web sites. Sanyo is real crappy, whereas Panasonic is what you’d expect. Hmmm, maybe that is how they want it as part of the way they distinguish between the two companies with Sanyo being more on the lower end.

[QUOTE=DonFief, post:16, topic:304553]
I have the WOOT Sanyo Xacti 10mega pixel Full HD 1920x1080 handheld camera/recorder I just HAD to have before my Hawaiian vacation piece of crap - would NOT reccommend this product/brand to anyone![/quote

how about some useful feedback. What did you not like about the camera? Was there a problem with it or was it more of a preformance issue?

Can this be used as a web cam?

Does it have a remote?

What’s the difference between a price and a “price point”?

I see that the camera has a separate charging unit for the battery. Is it possible to charge the battery via the USB cable while it’s still in the camera? (for example, if you wanted to record a video longer than 60 minutes without the battery dying)

Unlikely. Some $299.95 Canons do.

These kind of posts are suspect. First, did you read the manual? Second, what other cameras have you used, as in how experienced are you with video? Finally, what specifically was the problem you faced? I find a lot of “this is crap” posts are from people who expect cameras to be equipped with magic fairy dust that makes everything easy. There is no Nerf camera at this time.

Can you use with a Mac?