SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

On the specs page for the HGST Ultrastar drive:

Uh, guys… That little number above the ‘10’ wasn’t a footnote reference you could ignore, it was an exponent. It’s supposed to be 10**15, or ten to the fifteenth power. Or, in longhand, 1,000,000,000,000,000 bits.

Here’s the overview specs for the Ultrastar A7K2000 series of drives.

Indicentally, Hitachi’s Deskstar series, targeted at “consumer” markets, quotes an unrecoverable error rate of 1014 bits. So Ultrastars at 1015 bits are (allegedly) more reliable.

It’d be nice to know who refurbished them, though…

^^^^^
Who does refurbish them?

We often can’t give out the manufacturer’s name because their other retail channels get mad at them over the prices. Our buyers work to get you the best price possible. Sorry, but no name.

>.>

OK well how about said mfgs main product…
Is the referbisher also a maker of HDDs.

Why do people still advertise HDD with the casing opened up. Last I checked, bad things happen when you pop the top.

You’d have to ask the manufacturers since that’s the photos they supply retailers. If I had to make a guess, it’s because the photo is more interesting than this:

Why was this refurbished drive MAILED to me in a THINLY PADDED ENVELOPE? Also, why is there a sticker on the drive that says it is not returnable? That’s no way to ship a hard drive, I don’t care if you are trying to save a buck!

There’s probably a lower chance of contamination in space.

Received the two drives I purchased very quickly. Both show “no media” and are unable to be formatted on my Windows PC.

Thank you. I had thought $40 for a 2TB drive was too good to pass up. But, $40 for a non-returnable, non-detectable drive? I’ll pass.

I ordered 3, 2TB drives, they were shipped stacked on top of each other, with zero protection. Also the hard drives they are selling here are used not refurbished.

“ROGETRAY wrote:
We often can’t give out the manufacturer’s … Sorry, but no name.”

The good news for you who are wondering who refurbished these drives, the answer is no one.

I’ve ordered refurbished hard drives before from Newegg, SMART test shows, no power on hours, 2 stop/start count and Estimated ramaining lifetime: more than 1000 days. HOWEVER woots drives, the worst one: 1250 days 3 hours power on, 16 stop/start count and Estimated ramaining lifetime: more than 574 day.

“Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty”

Received the Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" 1TB SATA (New) drive very quickly but after turning it on 3 times, it now won’t even spin up. It’s my first problem with a Seagate drive but thought I should mention it. Woot won’t replace it so I guess I’ll buy it again and return the dead one leaving me out the shipping both directions. Oh well.

At least yours had padding, the two I ordered were shipped in a tight cardboard box with no padding. Lots of squealing and clicking when hooked up. Shipping 3.5 drives like this will guarantee failures. Sending them back to Woot.

Ordered 1 on July 24th. Still preparing for shipment. Woot says I miss understood the sales page and should allow 3-8 days for processing before shipment. From the previous comments on these drives I hope that I do not get a used drive and can get my money back.

I ordered one on July 22, still has not shipped.

Same here. Keep getting the same “canned” response from Woot.

Order page clearly states “shipping 1-2 business days”, “Delivery 3-8 business days.”

C’mon woot - give those monkeys a swift kick in the behind and get these orders fulfilled. Preferably with some padding to protect the drives.

Speaking of - maybe they haven’t filled our orders yet because they’ve had to replace all the drives they’ve shipped this far since they’re not being packaged correctly?

Same deal with the shipping - “Ships in 1-2 days” turned out to be over a week… They did get here very quickly once they had shipped though.

However… Ordered three, and received three - in a box, stacked one on top of the other angled every which way, with four packet length of air pockets pushed on one side of the box. No padding on the bottom, 3 sides or top. The drives did not fill up the box bottom to top, so they were able to slide around everywhere, and bang up and down on top of each other. My approximation is that you could have stacked two more drives in the pile to reach the top of the box…

Have yet to plug them in to see what they are all about, or if any of them are going to spin up - not holding my breath though…

I’m sorry for the poor packing. I’ve sent your feedback to the team so they can follow up with the warehouse.