Schug Carneros Estate 2007 Brut Rouge de Noirs Pinot Noir Sparkling Wine - 2 Pack

Most still-wine Pinot rose’s are a byproduct of bleeding off a percentage of the juice from fully ripened Pinot grapes intended for red wine production. So they end up being higher in alcohol. For making a bubbly like this, you need to start with lower brix (below 20 typically), but still have color change in the grapes. The 3 days soak quite a bit of color (and flavor and aromatics) but no tannin because it’s a cold soak. So you still get the “feel” of a sparkling wine, and you don’t have to cover up any tannins with sugar.

The color is definitely red, not pink. But not dark red; it’s very vibrant and see-through. Looks like cranberry juice, to be exact. The color is quite stable because the bubbles buffer the wine against oxidation. You can drink it over a few years or more, but as with any bubbly the bubbles will become more muted if you age it too long (as in 10 years; really no need to). Some rose’s look orangish because they are aged a long time on the yeast, which can strip a little color. This is about 2 years on the yeast; really don’t need much more than that because the Pinot fruit carries so much body, and we want that to be the focal point.

Glad you tried the '06, it was one of my favorites although a little lighter rose than it normally is. That said, Bon Appetit Magazine named it as one of their top 10 sparkling rose’s for the holidays! The '07 offered here is a bit darker, more full-throttle Pinot flavor, but still keeps a delicate touch with bright acidity and very low dosage sugar.

Axel Schug

Thanks, I remember enjoying it. I have one bottle left that I’m thinking will be perfect for Valentine’s Day.

I’m so excited to get for Valentines celebration, oh wait, no North Dakota ? I was so ready to push that golden button, ufda.

Leftover bubbly, what’s that??? No excuses! You can make a pretty serious dent into your bubbly stash with a weekly dose of chinese take-out (for rose’s and blanc-de-noirs). Or for blanc-de-blancs, try truffle fries or truffle popcorn. You can get little spritz-bottles of truffle oil these days; makes everything go with bubbly. Ask my wife Kristine; she’s a truffle fry and bubbly fiend!

Sorry, I’ll try to find out what the licensing deal is for ND. I thought that was an easy one. Try calling the winery and ask for David (DC), 800-966-9365 ext. 207; he may know whether we’re in the process of getting one or if we can’t.

Axel Schug

I am in for one, and I find it satisfying that I used my coupon code from the November Woot-off offering for Expression 44° Pinot Noir - 2 Pack that turned out to be non-existent. Pinot Noir for Pinot Noir.

I’ve never had a sparkling red wine before so how does this compare to another pinot noir? I know it’s fairly hard to compare these things but I was just curious as this sounds like something I could enjoy.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking since sparklers and pinot each pair so perfectly with sushi, this sparkling pinot could be pretty amazing in that role. And the valentine’s timing is sweet.

Of course there’s the SIWBM, the storage scarcity, the pending deliveries … ah, who am I kidding, in for one. I’ll go cold turkey tomorrow.

Not sure why you haven’t seen it but the code is for free shipping on one offer during your woot birthday (October for you). Always the same code so try nematic if you buy anything next October.

Waaaah, no Connecticut! :frowning:

Definitely in. Looking forward to it! Can anyone compare this to the Segura Viudas Aria Pinot? I’ve had that a few times and enjoyed it quite a bit even though I usually prefer drier bubbly. Specs indicate that the Aria has a lot more RS.

Cheers!

-art

Yay… enthusiastic winery participation… in for 1

You can try searching these forums, you should turn up a few people explaining how to sign up.

This woot reminds me of the one a year ago from Mumm’s, three different red sparklers, including a 100% PN. I think that was the one I liked best of the three, so I’m very interested in trying this one.

It’s worthwhile reading through the forum posts for the Mumm’s offer, if for no other reason than there’s a killer-looking brisket sandwich photo from one of the labrats, who as it happens was the one to receive the all-PN bottle, and eventually he’s made to cough up his recipe. If it paired well with that wine, why not this one?

For that discussion also there was great winery participation, though not at the level of detail that has been asked of Schug today. I am learning from both the questions and the responses, and I want to thank all parties!

In for one - hopefully it might be here in time for Valentines. Wish it could be here for our anniversary this weekend - we’re heading for the Texas Hill Country for a short getaway. If the weather hold ups.

Super bowl in the hill country? Nice

Wish I could get out of Dallas this weekend - gonna be nuts!

Just wanted to say that Schug is one of our (hubby and me) favorite CA vineyards. We’ve been out there a number of times and have never been disappointed. Can’t wait to try the bubbly! We are in New England though and these puritans still won’t let you ship us wine directly so we’ll be using a middle man (my parents) in NYS. It won’t make it to us by Valentine’s Day but I’m sure it will be wonderful when we do finally pick it up!

You get the Pinot flavors without the heavier elements of a full red wine. No tannins or “jammyness”, but all the fruit characteristics. And of course with all those nice bubbles! Think of this as a white wine (in feel/texture, i.e. crisp and bright) with the flavors of a red grape (raspberry, cranberry). Hope that helps! Axel

Try asking your local retailer in CT to order you a bottle. The SCHUG wholesaler in CT is Opici, and they have a few cases in stock of the '06. '07 just got released, that will be coming next. Note, the retailer won’t be able to give you the woot price, but you’ll be close without the shipping.