Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer

An opinion from someone with some physical rehab experience. Elliptical machines are great, especially if you have joint issues at the ankle, knee, or hip. Do these replace the workout experience you can get from actually running? No. But, if you are just getting into exercise or have some joint impact issues the elliptical is a great place to start. I can’t say anything about this particular model. It does look a little flimsy at the base. Also, the heart monitors on most exercise machines are junk. If you are serious about watching your HR you are better off with a chest-strap/watch combo; just watch out for cross-talk with other devices (like if someone was exercising next to you).

Is this a better workout than riding a bike? If so I might consider.

Our apartment complex has a similar Eliptical machine in the exercise room. Not only is it great because it won’t cause the stress impacts that treadmill jogging can, but it is also great for getting your heart rate into a good target zone without the knee or back injury that can occur with other machines.

(Mod’s note: Link removed, as it’s referral spamtastic.)

Not for people over 170 pounds it seems.

Seems like any model for $500 and under are not the best buys, but this is one of the best models for the price range. If you have the extra money you are better off spending more since you get what you pay for (with proper research). Though for entry level or light use it looks decent.

You must have a hard floor for this. Carpet will make the machine off balance. Even placing a wood board down on carpet will not work.

Screw the elliptical. I want a pic of Kari Steinmetz.

Sweet! I remember those!!

…And heres a video of a cat on an elliptical machine.

Lots of overwieght people in Iowa and Utah :smiley:

This is what I am looking into as well.

Elliptical Exercise Equipment Vs. Recumbent Bikes

I’m using a recumbent bike just to save stress on the knees. My knees get enough exercise during weight sessions. On very long intense sessions the bike can get uncomfortable. I might pick this up. ETA on a Woot refurbished Powerblock set? :smiley:

Yeah, but not shipped!

I hate it how I used to get the Veggie Delight footlong for right at $4, but when they decided to go “$5 footlong” they added the Veggie to that and raised the price! Now I feel ripped off! :slight_smile:

I’ve read that stride length is important for quality of elliptical workout. Is 17" on the low end? Would a 6’1" guy find this one too small of stride?

But I’m already Ellipse shaped! Oh wait… I see…

It is when it is January and you reside in places where the outside tends to get covered with all the white carp.

This thing takes D batteries, AND DOES NOT INCLUDE THE AC ADAPTER.

Massive dealbreaker right there. Unless this comes with an AC Adapter or a time machine I can use to go back to 1990 when D batteries were still used for SOMETHING, then I could see myself buying it for my mum.

Seriously a deal-breaker to have to pick up a package of D batteries? My elliptical took 3 AA batteries and I think they lasted about 2 years. You’re just powering a little tiny display.
Don’t be so lazy! Get this elliptical!

OK here’s my problem with these things. It’s way too easy to just stop when you get tired. I have one in my garage/home gym. Actually I have a professional quality elliptical I bought from a gym that was closing. I absolutely hate it. What works for me is to either run or bike one way from my house, then I am forced to run or ride back. No getting off because I am tired or bored, I have to suck it up and keep going to get back home. Plus it’s just nicer being outside. I don’t work in a cubicle and I don’t exercise like a hamster. However, I live in California so I can exercise outside pretty much all year long. I guess if you live in one of the crappy states this might be good for you. Or if you have lower extremity problems like hip or knee arthritis, these are better than nothing. I really recommend swimming, trail running and mountain biking for cardio, and heavy weights for the guys. Ladies, my wife teaches “turbo kick” kick boxing, google it and see if there is one in your area…it’s kicks ass.

It does look really fragile…

Well, hello there Wooters of the USA! I have a tiny PSA that’ll take one moment of your time.

Hey Woot Community:

Much like Woot’s beloved NightGhost, I have decided to elect a leave here from Woot commenting and helping you out. I love all the fascination and wonder and lawls I’ve had here since discovery in Oct 2010. The choice is one of “I need to find a Woot Anon group” type.

And, yes, by golly, I know I’m not Mr. NightGhost. Not in the least. He helped way before I.

I love exercise, but, boy do I want to murder Ellipticals of any/all kinds. They kill you on the inside. Especially since the last one I used MOCKED you for stopping to dab sweat off your brow. Stoopid machines.

I wish every last one of you here, whether you mock me or not, the absolute best in life. You deserve it!

Maybe he thinks it should be powered by a rechargeable lithium battery that gets recharged when you ride it! :wink:

Even the ‘Super Heavy Duty’ batteries at the Dollar store will work in these and last awhile.