Science Isn't Fiction

Science Isn't Fiction

Science once confirmed the world was flat and saccharin was safe.

It may not be fiction, but it’s not always true or accurate.

The edutainment industry conflates the two…

1 Like

Sauce on “science” confirming the earth was flat? Saying something is science doesn’t necessarily make it so. For example, there’s a bra on here that says it’s “clinically proven”.

On the other hand, I know if I break my face and end up in the ER, the doctors and nurses will be using science to put me back together.

I don’t know about “science” and the earth being flat…
But I do know that scientist did believe the the Earth was the center and planets and stars moved around it. This was the standard for over 1500 years.
They had complex models to prove themselves correct and everything. Scientist are constantly proving and disproving theories.
Saying something is true because a scientist says that they have proof on any given day is like tell me who won the game, by telling me the score at any random moment of the game. Good scientific discourse allows for the examination of counter arguments, and the admission when data is missing. A good scientist know that what they learn in the pursuit of an answer may be more important than getting an answer.

Here’s more info on the geocentric model

1 Like

That is the beauty of science. New information allows for new ideas, methods and even standards if you will. The (4) humors was the medical standard for hundreds of years. Now we know about bacteria and viruses and hell, antibiotics are even relatively new.

And scientific discourse is crucial! Someone else being able to replicate what someone publishes to confirm or refute the results/data is what keeps things in check. Because people do try and skew results in their favor for various reasons, including incentives.

This. All this.

The information age makes us all believe that we are entitled to all new data. But raw data without context can be bent to mean whatever we want (within reason).
So the REAL scientist that are trying to understand something get pushed to the back, while people with agenda run to scream that they were right all along. Once in a while, some person from the back of a lab is allowed to speak and tells us all that the data suggests certain things, but much more research is needed. No one wants to hear that.

1 Like