Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Zin (5)

Looking through my Woot purchase history, it appears I’m in the Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Zin Wine Of the Month Club. Bought it on 2/3/15, 3/16/15, and again on 4/12/15. Considering today’s offer.

It is May after all. :wink:

WE moved into Cabernet Franc and gave one from British Columbia a double Gold. Then onto 21 Cabenets from Monterey and Paso Robles. We gave out four Gold medals. Then on to 9 Sangioveses and 3 Dolcettos. Gave a Gold to a Yakama and a gold to an Amador one. With the Dolcettos, one from Walla Walla took a Gold. Then we did ten dry Roses before lunch and will start with 10 sweet roses after lunch.
Clark Smith is on my panal and asked me say hello to all the Wooters.

I love Scott Harvey wines…WOOT will not ship to Kansas, but thank goodness Scott Harvey will, and at the WOOT prices…I purchased this the last time they were up and just did the inZinerator as well!! YAY!!

Once again, an excellent reason to get out of Hawaii and move back to Colorado!

I hate missing this one.

Cheers to you and Clark! That’s a lot of wine tasting, how do you avoid palate fatigue? :tongue:

go for it!!! :slight_smile: don’t break your buying streak!!

Love the TN blog Scott, and hi to Clark.
If we’re counting, Wellington, Scott Harvey (Jana and SHW) and Pedroncelli.

Sitting on ten of these already, where to put additional…?

Just opened a bottle of this wine from a previous offer. A beautiful nose with fruit and spice. First taste has a hint of vanilla and pleasing finish with slight spice. The spice should come up with further breathing. I love Zins and this is so yummy that I guess I’ll have to get more. Thank you, Scott!

You avoid palate fatigue by first judging the wines on smell in each flight. Then once you start tasting, you take a sip of water between each wine to bring your palate back to the same starting point.
On the dry Rose we gave a Gold to a Texas wine. On the sweet Rose we gave a gold to a Labrusca wine. It was a generic blend. From there we went on to 4 Petit Verdots. Hard as nails they were. Don’t know why anyone would bottle these wines as a Varietal. Next were 9 Pinot Noirs from the Central Coast, Anderson Valley and the Finger Lakes. No Golds given. On to 21 Zinfandels from Amador, Russian River, Lodi and Sonoma. Also, no Golds. We went on to 11 Rhone Style blends. A Paso wine took a Gold along with a Sonoma one and one from Texas. Then came 3 Italian Varietal blends and then 13 generic red blends. All in all we started judging at 8:30 and finished at 4 PM judging a total of 141 wines. Tomorrow we’ll get together with the other judging panels and their results to do the taste offs for best of varietal, region and best of show.

Howdy gang. I’m brand new to WOOT today and just curious why a 5-pack of a single wine would be offered? At the price point break down seems to make more sense to set it up as a 3 pack and you’ll get a higher percent of moderate priced buyers to buy, myself being one of them. Thanks, Cheers !

Flybranda, just placed an order :slight_smile:

Welcome to wine.woot. We offer various configurations of wines from singles, mixed packs, and single wine packs like this.

There are those that will buy a 5-pack like this to cellar and try over time, to see how the taste enriches over time. Others will split or share packs with their friends and family.

I hope you keep checking back. Hopefully some of the other wine wooters will chime in as well. They’re a great community.

And some will purchase two or three offers because they know, either from experience or TN’s, the offer is an excellent value and well suited for either drinking or cellaring; purchasers option.

This one is all of the above.

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll keep watching for new offers that fit my buying style, thx !

Hello Road Warrior,
three bottles might make more sense to you but it would make less sense to wine.woot. They have the cost of shipping built into the offer and need to recoup those costs (and make a little profit, hopefully) so the less expensive an offering is per bottle, the more bottles that are generally going to be included. Sometimes the offers are for a full case of sub-$10 wine, other times they are for 2-3 bottles of a wine that may run anywhere from $20 and up per bottle.

Many wooters split orders with people in their area. One person buys then they meet up later to exchange bottles and/or cash. I recently traded almost 2 cases of wine with a local wooter. If you don’t have anyone to split orders with, you can always express an interest in the product thread with your general location. Sometimes instead of waiting for someone to go in with me I will just make the buy then post that I’m willing to share a couple bottles if anyone’s interested.

Welcome to wine.woot where the winemakers are often here (like Scott Harvey!) to answer your questions about the wines, how they’re made, drinking windows, etc. That is the most unique aspect of wine.woot so enjoy the conversations and watch out because this place can be addicting! :slight_smile:

Allowing 30 minutes for lunch, that’s 20 wines per hour for 7 hours! Sounds as if wine judging (like winemaking) may be a lot more glamorous on the surface than in reality. Thanks for the updates and as always thank you for the generous offers on your wines.

Petit Verdot is like Petite Sirah, they need a lot of time (air) to open. Sometimes more. IIRC, iByron kept one open for 2 or 3 days before it opened properly.

Edit: Or it might have been a Tannat.

Danke!