Scott Harvey Three Stags Red Blend (5)

What’s wrong with “Port Varieties”?
There are some fine, dry, wines made from them. Seems you’re equating Scott’s “forte/port” added to the InZin to this blend, no? Did you listen to the voicemail from Scott?
As a long term wine club member I saw this on the site about a month ago when another offer from SH was on woot and I was comparing pricing (woot always better after shipping is added in) and asked about it. Short answer, think a lighter InZin without the sweetness. Haven’t had any yet, but only because it hasn’t yet arrived. Better deal here than I got direct; sigh.

Happy Birthday Jana!

… And Scott. Can you bottle some more of that Early Burg? I’m down to my last couple bottles…

I have so much red in the cellar right now (so much of it from Scott Harvey), that I really should NOT buy this…but it’s Scott Harvey. And I don’t have any of these. And I cannot resist :slight_smile:

Besides, Thanksgiving is coming up and this looks like it will fit in perfectly to the assortment of wines I bring to the family gathering. My motto: why drink only one wine at dinner when you can drink 'em all? :slight_smile:

Sales are going through. Can you be more specific? Clear temps/cache? Different browser? Mobile?

We are enjoying making our way through our first Barbera order, and know we will enjoy this as well! Thanks wine.wooters for helping us up our wine pallets! In for one.

Technically at 77% zinfandel this could be labeled zin right?

Here is the note from Wine Enthusiast mentioned above:

by Jim Gordon
Black plum, boysenberry and fig flavors fill this soft and generous wine. It has a medium-red color, medium body and very fruity aromas. A relaxed, broad texture makes it easy to drink.
— (11/1/2015) — 85 points

I always thought the threshold was 80% or is that for an AVA or vineyard designate wine…,

If I didn’t go to Scott Harvey’s tasting room a few weeks ago (and Helwig’s up the road) I’d have plenty of room for this, but alas I already have 3 bottles of the 1869 and 3 of Scott’s 2012 Syrah plus some of Helwig’s great reds too. It was great to see you again Scott!

(others taking up room in the red fridge include 4 Stillman, 4 Black Zeppelin, 2 Ty Caton, 4 EnTycement, and several other notable Pinots and Syrahs) Yeah I need to start drinking more :wink:

Who am I trying to kid…in for 3!

After years of research I’ve come down to Riesling and pinot noir as my best match for Thanksgiving. Find they match best with variety of Turkey Day foods. Happy eating…and drinking !

77% Amador County Zin – and I’m in.

The actual regulation is no doubt pages long but pretty sure 75% no matter what. Although it may have been higher at one time???

Scott?

Hi Everyone,
Jana and I are on the road today. We did a trade tasting in Vail last night and will be doing one today in Aspen. So on Jana’s birthday we will be driving through a winter wonderland in a snow storm. Good thing I rented a four wheel drive.
As you know I like to make blends. This is a blend made in the same old world style that my Zinfandels and Barberas are made in. We were not going to offer it on Woot, but both WineDrew and WineDavid were over the other day for lunch and just had to have it offered to the Wooters. So here we are. I’ll answer questions now and then again when Jana and I get to Aspen.
Cheers

Hi, the Port varieties are a wine that was fermented out dry. It is not our sweet Forte. In 2012 we fermented out the port varieties as a dry wine and aged it in French oak. The dry wine had a real bright cherry nose with fresh crisp acidity. In this wine the port varieties add a bright cherry red fruit character while not adding any sweet port character.

The wine has the same aging potential (15 to 20 years) as my Barberas since it is made in the same old world style. Blends allow me to create a more complete wine. By blending I can add in a wine that will plug a hole to make the wine complete from the nose to the finish.

Hi Ron,
Another wine thanks to WineDrew. The Early Burgundy is sure drinking nicely right now. I have about three bottles left. The vineyard is gone having been replanted to houses on the edge of Calistoga.

Varietal is 75+%.
AVA appellation (Napa Valley) is 95+%, same for vintage.
Political appellation (Napa County) is 85+% same for vintage.

That recent Jana PN too I recall WineDrew had a finger in.
Glad I stashed a few of the EB offsite, or it would all have been gone.

And curses for that 15~20 comment.
Now I need to reevaluate stock.

Regards to all…

So could this have been labeled as a Zin? But you choose to label it as a blend?

Any actual tasters to comment on the above?

I appreciate the note which sounds like it makes sense, but it would be nice to hear more elaboration from someone who’s tasted it.

Thanks!

That’s what I thought until I looked closer - Port varieties not sweetened/rounded off with Port like the older Inzinerator.