Seagate FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter

How well does this thing deliver on all these features? How many of which are OS X friendly? Thanks!

Woot writers have failed the wootopolis today. Forgetting a spec as critical as the USB specification? Tsk tsk.

(I’m sure it’s USB 2.0)

Oh boy… This seems so confusing… here I go:

1. Does provided Android/iPhone/etc app allow access to local files from within the local network (e.g. when connected to the same wi-fi net), or the world? Or I need to actually plug the device into the unit for this (physically)?

2. Does it make your mobile device visible to the PC’s on the network?

3. How about a little security? Seems like it may be exposing your network to the outside world if you’re not careful?

4. Does it play well with the hardware firewalls?

Anyone?

How quickly can you break SSL encryption, assuming you can find me?

This one was on sale a couple months ago at OD for $1 (After being on sale for over a month at $50). I bought 3 then.

Does this support any encryption? If I don’t sign up for their service will it still report itself and, more importantly, my files to their server?

Can this be used without pogoplug? Does it require a subscription of any kind?

woot! i am in need of at least a 1tb external hard drive. if the seagate 1tb hard drive would sold yesterday, then today would’ve been a for sure sale for most. especially myself. so close woot! so close

It can actually be used by any USB drive. The docking station is for the FreeAgent Go’s speficially, but it has 3 other USB ports in it, that you can plug any USB drive (whether a portable hard drive, an external hard drive, or a thumb drive) into, and they’ll be networked and accessible over Pogoplug as well.

TigerDirectBlog on YouTube

And a hands on video from NewGadgets DE (in German)

Here’s another review in English

Okay I’m rather confused but that maybe due to the tiredness. Can ANY USB drive hook up to this or do I have to have a FreeAgent Go™ drive hooked up first before hooking up the other three?

palmface ~////[

You can access over your home network without using PogoPlug. In that case it’s like an NAS. It comes with a one year subscription to the PogoPlug service, which is $20 a year after the first year, I believe.

That’s actually one of the few things that make it different than a PogoPlug. If you buy a PogoPlug, you get lifetime access to the service, with this it’s merely a subscription.

Yes…confirmed.

You know most of the external HD’s have very similar dimensions. I wonder if it would work with another besides seagate if it fit that dock. I don’t see why not. But then again who am i to say?

The visible plug sticking out of the dock appears to be a standard mini-USB connector. Granted, it would likely void any kind of warranty, but just take some sort of rotary tool to it. Shave down the sides and back, and I’m sure nearly any kind of USB-powered 2.5" external HDD would work just fine with this dock. And if that fails, just use it as a cheap USB-connected NAS (as I likely will).

I need to brush up on my german.

There is the dock, which will only take a Seagate FreeAgent Go drive. There are 3 USB ports around the dock which will take any USB drive, at all, not just a Seagate portable one.

If you have a FreeAgent Go, you can use this with 4 different drives (the FreeAgent in the dock, and 3 others in the various USB ports). If you do not, you can use it with 3 USB drives (just using the USB ports).

Can I use this with a WD my passport portable HD?

The Woot page says “Lifetime subscription”…