Seagate FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter

I like these wee hours of the morning speed woots, makes it interesting.

Not to mention it’s a challange to keep up due to lack of sleep.

Yeah, I love em… better than pistachios anyway :-p

I know at least one person wants three!!!

Was going to post helpful info, but it’s too late to be useful.

So what are the odds of another Brindle of Cats?

I thought this came with essentially a lifetime subscription for Pogoplug, but now they are trying to charge me. Did I delude myself?

No, that’s the way it read on the sale:

• Includes Pogoplug Internet file sharing service - no subscription or additional fees required. Pogoplug Service is subject to Pogoplug terms and conditions. Files on your home network may be accessed by devices on the same network without activating Pogoplug service. Pogoplug service is required for remote file access and Internet file sharing.

Try contacting them directly and if you still have no luck, contact service@woot.com and explain what’s going on so they can look into it from their end.

I just received an email from pogoplug that says they are discontinuing “free” accounts and that to continue using the service (and this product) they want $29/year.

I had been using the service but won’t be paying to continue because they changed their minds about keeping a commitment.

And Woot customer service just bowed out; we’ll see if Seagate ever responds…

Our sale had the following note:

• Includes Pogoplug Internet file sharing service - no subscription or additional fees required. Pogoplug Service is subject to Pogoplug terms and conditions. Files on your home network may be accessed by devices on the same network without activating Pogoplug service. Pogoplug service is required for remote file access and Internet file sharing.

Their legal page seems to cover changes.

ThunderThighs,
thanks for following up on an ancient thread! I hadn’t had time to followup here since contacting Woot support again after hearing from Seagate. The initial response from Woot support seemed to be a pass but I wrote back after getting a response from Seagate, and they said they’d check again.

In the specs for these devices it says “Seagate STDSA10G-RK FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter with Lifetime Pogoplug Service”.

There’s also another much longer thread about these devices here, where the following post from a (then) Woot staffer (per the quality post list) KevinatWoot said the same thing, and that it was in writing from Seagate.