Secura 9100MC Duxtop Induction Cooktop

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Secura 9100MC Duxtop Induction Cooktop
Price: $57.48
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Apr 06 to Friday, Apr 07) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Secura 9100MC Duxtop Induction Cooktop) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Secura 9100MC Duxtop Induction Cooktop) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Secura - Google Shopping 9100MC Duxtop Induction Cooktop)

I dunno about this particular brand, but it’s a good price for a single unit.

Induction tops are nice, although I read that the top glass scratches easily (and it seems like it would), so I put parchment paper down over prior to putting the metal pot on.

It does most definitely heat up faster than a regular stove top, until I got a stove with what we call a “super burner” (18,500-BTU), so now the induction top stays on the top of the fridge. Useful if you have a gas stove and just want to cook with electric, or want to cook somewhere other than your stove.

[youtube=1FH5nuDKfcU][/youtube]

I have one of these already and a another brand also. This is my go-to induction burner. Does a great job. I’m going to get another one!

I have had the 8100MC for a couple years now and I love it. This is a good investment.

Another great thing about inductions is the safety: Great for kids learning to cook (especially with long hair: No fire risk!) Or elders that are forgetful and might leave a burner on: no heat production to catch a house on fire!!!

Do you need special cookware to use this or will any pan work?

Induction cooktops use magnetic energy to heat the metal in the pan. So, your pan has to has a least a little iron in it to react with the magnetic field.

An iron skillet works nicely, but copper-bottom pans not so much. I have a stainless steel teapot which works.

I wonder how small can you go with this unit? I have an induction cooktop similar to this unit which doesn’t detect my Espresso pot; it works once I drop a railroad spike on the thing, but that’s unnecessary power usage. By the way, another advangage of induction cooking is efficiency. There much less waste heat generated than with gas, coil or glass-top surfaces.

Anyone know if this is a good unit for homebrewing beer? How quickly can it bring 5 gallons of water to a boil?

I can’t comment on this model, but we have an induction range at home. It’s a beast for speed and the granularity in heating levels is actually noticeable. Something that does bug me is if you’re using a pan with sloped sides there is a definite noise coming from the unit. I think since it’s magnetic, the generated field is sort of freaking out trying to heat something that’s not immediately touching the unit (like 1/2" off the glass, it’s still trying to heat)

How large can the diameter of the bottom of the pot be?

I use a similar Duxtop model to make extract batches where we’re only boiling about 3.5-4 gallons. 5 is a bit much for the ~1500 watts that I have, but since this one can go up to 1800, it might work. You’d only get a low boil though, nothing too strong.

Probably not good. Stainless and aluminum aren’t magnetic and you REALLY want a much hotter flame or it’ll take forever. I have a regular hot plate that I’ve used to heat up 5 gallons and it takes hours

Cast Iron is perfect. But I’m from the south, where that’s a kitchen staple.

I’d love to know where one would keep a railroad spike in the kitchen, and what one would say when asked “Why do you have a railroad spike in the kitchen”? :slight_smile:

One feature to note on this model is that it has physical membrane buttons. I have an induction cooker as well, but it has solid state buttons that are activated right through the glass cook top - nothing mechanical to wear out except the internal fan.

Also note, that I have found that induction cook tops are putting in a certain amount of power based on the level you choose - I haven’t seen one that is able to detect the content’s heat and maintain it. So, as you simmer something down over a period of time, it may eventually boil as it reduces in volume.

Finally, below a certain power level, I found that the units are flipping the power on and off to maintain a level. So, if you have a small amount of liquid in the pot, you can watch it boil, then stop, boil, then stop.

Besides the little niggles mentioned above, I absolutely love induction cooking, and use my cooker almost every day.

(Hope this helps)

Junk drawer, of course. Or, possibly the utensil crock.

If your cookware’s bottom cannot hold a magnet, all is not lost. They make plates (with iron) that you can put on top of the induction burner and under your non-magnetic cookware. The plate will get hot and transfer heat to the pan in the old fashioned way.

For me, the biggest advantage over my electric glass cook top stove is when a spill over occurs. You just wipe it off the induction cook top. You scrub and scrub to get the burnt on stuff off your glass top.

I use my induction stand alone for 95 percent of all stove top cooking.