Seghesio Quartet

I was under the impression that higher % alcohol allows for a more approachable wine, but at the same time you’ve let the wine advance in age where its ability to age and grow as a wine is decreased. Hence most age-worthy wines are under 14.2.

guess i’m wrong.

I haven’t had these two specific Zins, but I have had their single-vineyard Cortina which I found very enjoyable, as did my two dining companions. I’m on the fence with this one, not because I’m unsure if I would enjoy this quartet–I’m sure that I would–but a friend of mine just brought me a mixed case of French & Italian wine from Kermit Lynch that’s begging to be tasted. So much wine, so little time :slight_smile:

No, they’re just 2 sides of the same coin. Higher alcohol helps preserve wines, or anything else for that matter. But with wine, you don’t necessarily want to preserve it as it’s bottled. So both for good (aging) and for ill (spoiling/vinegarage), lower alcohol wines will change more rapidly than higher alcohol wines, again, all else held constant.

Wow, $80? I’ll need some heavy convincing on this one. As I’ve mentioned almost countless times before, college student. Now I’m looking to save my leftover loan money for my jobless period shortly after graduation…it’s bound to happen.

Though I’m fairly certain this should be a great set of wines. When I saw the Pinot I hopped a little with joy, getting bored with reds and all. Love 'em, but it’s nice to see something different. Still, I need some convincing to spend the equivalent of my cable/internet bill and half my cell phone for four bottles of wine. Shouldn’t be too hard…I like wine and these guys are great at answering questions.

So, tell me what makes these four bottles worth every penny and more? And why such a high percentage of French oak barrels? By the way, I like the listing of “Food Affinities.” It answers my question before I remember to ask. ^________^

Woohoo! MA ship!!! Not a mistake, is it WD? Before I spring? I just had a trip to Nantucket for a conference. There is the best BYOB restaurant there called Black Eyed Susans! Good thing I brought some woot wine along on the ferry with me for the trip : ) So, how many to get…and wait until tomorrow to make sure MA is really included before another shipping fiasco. I have a trip to make to New Haven. I think about 35 bottles in my inlaws office (oops!)!

OK, happy comments aside, do the Rockpile vines have rocks at their bases to keep the vines warmer? I will have to look on google earth to see, is this vineyard where the vines need that extra protection?
Edit edit - I see mill, he’s OK!

So, quick question for experienced wine wooters. How are the packages marked when they arrive? Do they have “wines” marked on it such that I would have to explain to people at work I was having wine shipped to me? Does it vary depending on vineyard? And what kind of packing do they typically use inside the box?

Yes - the boxes will require a 21 or older signature to be delivered and will have a smallish sticker that says the box contains alcohol. Packing is ususally nice cardboard wine supports (recycled paperboard?) inside a regular box. My wines usually arrive nice and safe from a p[acking standpoint.

He’s ok…

Seghesio Quartet
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: nallie
Speed to first woot: 3m 23.500s

Last wooter to woot: mill

^^^ What he said ^^^
Great minds post at the same time :slight_smile:

Seghesio makes some of the best Zins coming out of Cali, the Old Vine was the first $20+ wine I ever bought. Quality is right up there with Rosenblum and Ridge.
never had the pinot grigio though.

Nallie, Congrats on being first sucker!

All of you Zin lovers need to jump on this. I’ve had the Old Vines Zin; it’s very good (and Zin is my least favorite varietal). Forget the price; you’ll be getting some kick-ass wine!

Not the first time I’ve been an alibi ; )

Seghesio makes my favorite “less expensive” Zins in the world - slurp.

Would love to hear more about these two - I may have to order 3!

Seghesio Old Vines Zin and the Rockpile? WD could have paired this with some Mad Dog 20/20 and Id still probably jump at it.

Seghesio is one of the best Zin producers around, they and Ridge are probably my two favorites. Im a member of the Ridge Z List club, and my father (also a big Zin Head) is a Seghesio club member. Ive never been disappointed in anything from either vineyard.

So Im sure Im in for 1 or 2. That being said I wish it had been paired with another of their Reds like their Barbera or Pinot Noir. Im not a huge white wine fan, but I cant complain too much.

Thanks WD!!! Hey, WE have you ever considered doing something with another one of my favorite Zin producers Pezzi King?

Yes, the Pinot Grigio is holding me back…I am not against springing for good wine, but I prefer the reds…

I agree. Not a fan of Puff Griggy (can we make the wine.woot filter say that instead?), and I’d much rather get my hands on 2 of each red than spend for a white that I’m not a big fan of, especially 2 of the same type and vintage just to get my hands on one of each of those special zins.

:smiley: made me smile to see you’re name there Nallie!!

This is not particularly true. Until recently wine was generally around 3% lower then these bottles, which is about a 20% decrease. Also, traditionally wines were made to last MUCH longer then they are today. I see no correlation.

I thought it also had to do with the fact that they left the grapes on the vine longer, to decrease the tannins, which also increased the sugar levels, so they need to ferment longer to get all the sugars turned to alcohol, which causes higher alcohol content. Basically, in order to be a drink now wine, which our instant gratification country/wineries cultivate, they have to sacrifice a little taste, to increase the alcohol content, to make it drinkable now.

Alright you MAY be right, but I’ve NEVER heard using higher alcohol wines to improve aging, I’ve only ever heard about higher tannin levels to improve it which break down over time in the bottle and create a more complex rounded wine. In fact everything I’ve heard about alcohol is that it will add heat, decrease complexity, and hide flaws within the wine. Again, I’m a noob too, so I could be totally off on this, hopefully one of our winery faithful will clue us in.

Some places in the country have their hottest days in September. Remember, the world doesn’t revolve around your personal doorstep.

I think this really depends on the state you’re in. I’ve seen many people say that it comes with markings on it, but as for myself, none of my boxes has ever had anything other then the shipped from address which has the word wine in it. Of course this is a 21 and over item, so somebody that fits the bill will need to be there to sign.

Yeah, that and the reds are '04 - a season of “difficult” weather for northern CA. Will be interested in the Winery’s comments. Would have preferred to see their '05 zins offered.

Well, I don’t think I was entirely clear. I think that a higher alcohol level, assuming it is balanced with the other attributes of the wine, may be more pleasant to drink young, all else being equal. But I’m making a distinction between the AGING of the wine, on one hand, and the PRESERVATION of the wine on the other. While the alcohol is one of the preserving components of wine (along with tannins, acidity, and yes, sugar – see, e.g., http://gremolata.com/cellarwine.htm), it doesn’t necessarily make a wine AGE-worthy, even if it PRESERVES the wine for longer than an all-else-being-equal wine with lower alcohol would.

ah, preservation tool, I totally agree with you.