Segway miniPRO Personal Transporter

What is the maximum weight this will carry. If it is stated in the description I missed it. Sorry.

what about if I wanted to use it because I have a foot problem that is covered under the american with disabilities act? can I put it on the plane then?

My son is a disabled graduate student, and needs help getting across campus. I think this Segway might be perfect for him. Is there a security mechanism attached to it? Please advise. Thanks.

I found it. 220 lbs.

Not necessarily. Some people have, but the airline treated this man very poorly:

There is a locking mechanism included in the app, but I also bought a bike lock.

I’m not sure what you mean by “steep”. The company doesn’t recommend over 15 degrees. But the minipro does have the ability to limit downhill speeds, and uses regenerative braking to send power back to the battery.

Changed of heart , finally bought 2 . Got 2 boys , can’t let the other down . One black and one white color . Hope everything are good .:blush:

Did it come with the Segway original box or just a brown refurbished box ?
Thanks .

It came with the original box inside a plain brown box.

How does this compare to the original Segway? I’ve driven the original Segway, a friend had one. But the handle goes up much higher on that (and it was way more expensive.)
This one is more in my price range comfort zone.

where do you see that? it’s not in the documentation at all…

http://www.segway.com/media/1955/25018-00001_ag-minipro-um_en_web.pdf

“Certified Refurbished”

Certified by whom? Is this manufacturer refurbished?

If yes, where is the Segway warranty?

One wonders whether these were the returns at SAMs when they sold them for $499 to folks who were fooling themselves by grand measure that they weighted anywhere near 220 pounds? :wink:

… and only later admitted 300 pounds might be pushing the specs when they needed a downhill run to make the gadget go…

Yes, these are manufacturer refurbished either directly by them or a 3rd party the select.

Some vendors ask us to carry the warranty such as in this case.

This totally blows. Segway’s are not illegal in the State of New York. However, they are in the city of New York.
The hitch that is making both Segway and Hoverboard owners behinds redder than a Maine lobster is the cops ride Segway’s and Central Park has tours of the park and landmarks on Segway’s.
In other words if you are a private individual on a Segway you will get a ticket, and possibly have your Segway confiscated. All by a cop on a Segway himself, but if you are in a group taking a tour of Central Park you can ride a Segway.
And, yet somehow motorized skateboards, some with a top seed of 30+ MPH are completely legal.

If the motor gets too hot or is straining with speed, or weight, it “beeps” and pitches back to slow you down. It is a safety feature that assures that you do not go too fast. It is annoying because you usually want to go faster. With that said, it is great to use when I want to “trot” my dog on his daily walks and it is a blast to use when I want to just cruise to the store. I highly recommend that you grab one at this price! I have two that I bought a year ago at the sale price of 699/each and I love it!

Multiple sources. Here is one.

These have been hacked and I do not know if or when Segway might release a programming fix. These connect to a bluetooth app on your smartphone and it is through unsecured bluetooth access that the hack happens:

From the link you provided;
“The good news is that IOActive disclosed the bugs to Segway, which is owned by Chinese scooter-maker Ninebot, in January, and the company addressed the bulk of the problems in an app update in April. As part of the changes, Segway added mechanisms like cryptographic signing to validate firmware updates, which should prevent full takeovers. It eliminated the Rider Nearby feature, and took steps to evaluate its Bluetooth communication protocols and security. Segway has not yet returned a request from WIRED for comment. Kilbride says the company was responsive to his disclosures, but notes that some weaknesses may still exist in the way users can access the device’s Bluetooth management interface. The severe attacks attacks Kilbride executed during his research aren’t possible anymore, though.”