Shaker 5-Piece Dining Set

Those poor rubber trees.

When our family lived in Singapore back in the 1960s a very large box arrived one December that was placed near the all-plastic, assemble twig-by-twig Christmas tree. Our dog guarded the box around the clock until the 25th. When it was opened, a Sumatran tiger skin was revealed, with pepto pink paint on its gums. Enclosed was a note from the sender, a client owning rubber plantations.

This fellow was bothering my employees and interfering with proper tapping, thus shipments were lower this past year. May the new year bring prosperity.

sooooo, where you supposed to put the food? These tables look barely big enough to hold four place settings.

so it’s great furniture for hiding under during an earthquake. And it must be nice and rubbery too for extra give.
Hence the name Shaker

[ducks]

It’s perfect for my small apartment, though! I think it would be more comfortable for 2 people, or as a breakfast nook type thing. The extra chairs just gives it flexibility.

This is Woot. Order it now, and you might have it by May.

most “not very sturdy” reviews come from people who have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to furniture assembly. Of course it’s not going to be sturdy if you barely tighten down the fasteners. Take your time and do it properly and things will be fine.

Oh har-dee-har-har.

I have the version of this dining set with the cushioned chairs. The only issue I had is that the cheap Allen wrench that comes with it stripped on the second chair.

There are some bad reviews on Walmart’s site saying the hardware is loose in the box and scratched and dented the wood in shipping. Anyone know if this is the case here?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-PC-Shaker-Dining-Set-Espresso/8402621?ci_sku=8402621&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260370

This is great, I have been looking for a new table since mine was destroyed in our earthquake in August. Pantry cabinet tore off the wall and smashed the glass tabletop (and a chair). It wasn’t a total downer, I hated that damn table, you can’t keep the glass tops clean longer than a few minutes. And I had been sitting there thirty seconds earlier.

So I’m in for one. And the insanely low shipping is less than it would cost me to drive to IKEA. But do you think I could get woot to send me some of the swedish meatballs?

Wish I could do this now. This would be great for my growing boys and their homework/art/etc…tired of them messing up my hardwood dining room table that cost a bundle…

Wal-Mart sells this for 199.00.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shaker-5-Piece-Dining-Set-Espresso/11040674

So with shipping, it is only 5.00 cheaper, not sure 5.00 is enough of a savings to wait for it to be shipped instead of picking it up in the store.

Saving $5 and NOT having to deal with Walmart is a win no matter what. :slight_smile: Dealing with the people … ugh.

Also, you may be forgetting that not everyone has a vehicle that can safely transport large boxes from a store.

It’s not dealing with the customers that makes avoiding a trip to WalMart worth so very much money to me, it’s parking a mile out into the lot and waiting in long register lines. Especially at this time of year!

This is a cute RTA option for folks who are still shopping at Ikea. It would be great for the first apartment after college – for those who prefer “new” stuff instead of something that might be of higher quality but handed down, used, salvaged or obtained from a thrift store.

The one question I can’t answer is who would you contact/how in case of 90 day warranty problems? Here’s the best I could do finding the company:

http://www.homefurnishingsbuyersguide.com/Company/3924131-Target_Marketing_Systems_Inc

gets you contact info:
TARGET MARKETING SYSTEMS, INC
146 Alexandra Way
Carol Stream, IL, United States 60188
Tel: (630) 784-1188

Fax: (630) 784-1185

E-mail us: sales@target_mktg.com

but clicking on the
Target Marketing Systems Inc. link leads to a site under construction.

The URLs go back to a Singapore company, http://buylateral.com/.

After reading about rubber wood, it doesn’t sound very durable.

It’s actually as dense as maple, but it is softer.

I have a very similar version of this set that I bought about 5-6 years ago. The table is the same but my chairs are a little taller. We sit 2 adults and 2 kids at the table. It’s a little snug for 4 but that said, we just ate Thanksgiving dinner with my parents here too (total, 6 squashed).
My set has also been through 2 moves, one long distance. At this point it could really stand some glue in the screws, as they loosen up a lot randomly but other than that there is nothing wrong with it. It’s survived both my kids so that’s saying something.
My parents also have the same set for longer, theirs looks better and it’s survived their kidless home in better condition overall.
If you need a compact set, this is a good solution.

deleted